Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Headphone cable 'shock absorber'

I've go the older version of these headphones-
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Neckba...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t

Notice the bit of elastic that clutches the cable a few inches from
the earpiece and puts the strain on the elastic instead of the wire
when I catch the cable on something. The 3rd [customer] photo
shows it well and calls it a lanyard.

I broke mine & want to replace it but don't know what to search for--
or if 'm just going to have to make my own. Anyone know another term
than 'shock absorber' or 'lanyard' -- neither seems to be leading me
anywhere.

I didn't think it was really a big deal when it broke-- but I've
yanked the cord out of my MP3 player a couple times a day since I
broke it and can't remember ever doing that before. So it must give
me just enough warning to stop before I pull things apart.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I've go the older version of these headphones-
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Neckba...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t

Notice the bit of elastic that clutches the cable a few inches from
the earpiece and puts the strain on the elastic instead of the wire
when I catch the cable on something. The 3rd [customer] photo
shows it well and calls it a lanyard.

I broke mine& want to replace it but don't know what to search for--
or if 'm just going to have to make my own. Anyone know another term
than 'shock absorber' or 'lanyard' -- neither seems to be leading me
anywhere.

I didn't think it was really a big deal when it broke-- but I've
yanked the cord out of my MP3 player a couple times a day since I
broke it and can't remember ever doing that before. So it must give
me just enough warning to stop before I pull things apart.

Jim

Hi,
No cordless phone? They are cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I've go the older version of these headphones-
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Neckba...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t

Notice the bit of elastic that clutches the cable a few inches from
the earpiece and puts the strain on the elastic instead of the wire
when I catch the cable on something. The 3rd [customer] photo
shows it well and calls it a lanyard.

I broke mine& want to replace it but don't know what to search for--
or if 'm just going to have to make my own. Anyone know another term
than 'shock absorber' or 'lanyard' -- neither seems to be leading me
anywhere.

-snip-
Hi,
No cordless phone? They are cheap.

Not as cheap as these 2 Philips headphones I've got.g They were
free. And they are the first set that actually works for me-- they
have good enough sound, stay on my head, don't hurt my ears, and are
light enough that I don't remember they are still wrapped around my
neck where they store nicely so I can carry on a conversation. Oh-
and they aren't the noise canceling ones so I can pay attention to
surroundings while still listening to my mp3s.

We've got a couple wireless sets in the house. They are both noise
canceling so don't fit my MO that well- but I've tried them. PITA-
both of them. The headset is heavy because it is complicated and
battery operated. The 'sender' is a pita floppy thing that I have
more trouble taming than I do the cable for my wired set. [If I just
set it down, I wander out of the room, lose my song and can't find the
player to restart it. That really happened to me.g]

Plus I've always got to remember to be charging the sender on one and
replacing batteries for the other.

Trust me-- I'm not a Luddite- but on this one I just want to improve
what I've got.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

I broke mine & want to replace it but don't know what to search for--
or if 'm just going to have to make my own. Anyone know another term
than 'shock absorber' or 'lanyard' -- neither seems to be leading me
anywhere.

That feature is usually known as "strain relief" and it appears to be
something you could put together yourself with those stretchy cable ties
used to keep extension cords coiled up.

Shock absorber with nitrogen inside... luis Metalworking 24 February 24th 06 11:14 PM
Headphone Ports Darren Teaford Electronics Repair 1 December 11th 05 11:41 PM
Air Sponge Odor Absorber Blair UK diy 1 August 22nd 05 03:04 PM
No tv headphone sound David Sewell Electronics Repair 2 April 21st 05 10:42 PM