DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Underground electrical lines (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/325447-underground-electrical-lines.html)

Kentucky Cardinal July 2nd 11 06:10 PM

Underground electrical lines

I want to grow a large Hibiscus hedge about 6' in front of my back yard
fence.

My concern is the city has buried electrical lines just in front of this
fence.

Does anyone know if the roots from large shrubs could do any damage to these
buried lines?

Thanks

bob haller July 2nd 11 06:22 PM

Underground electrical lines

On Jul 2, 1:10*pm, "Kentucky Cardinal" Kentucky
wrote:
I want to grow a large Hibiscus hedge about 6' in front of my back yard
fence.

My concern is the city has buried electrical lines just in front of this
fence.

Does anyone know if the roots from large shrubs could do any damage to these
buried lines?

Thanks

I would call your city and ask.

I assume the plants will be small when planted? Thats good you really
want to avoid digging around live power lines.

Locally one call will mark the lines location to avoid issues

Smitty Two July 2nd 11 06:59 PM

Underground electrical lines

In article ,
"Kentucky Cardinal" Kentucky wrote:

I want to grow a large Hibiscus hedge about 6' in front of my back yard
fence.

My concern is the city has buried electrical lines just in front of this
fence.

Does anyone know if the roots from large shrubs could do any damage to these
buried lines?

Thanks

Someone does, but it ain't me. I'd guess not, if I had to guess.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure it would be a good idea to check the power co.'s
easement verbiage before you do anything anywhere close to their lines.

Carmen[_3_] July 2nd 11 07:18 PM

"Kentucky Cardinal" Kentucky wrote in message
I want to grow a large Hibiscus hedge about 6' in front of my back yard
fence.

My concern is the city has buried electrical lines just in front of this
fence.

Does anyone know if the roots from large shrubs could do any damage to
these buried lines?

Thanks

Great, another easement question. According to HeyBub, you could dig, plant
the shrubs, claim insanity & blame the nursery for not telling you.

Smitty Two July 2nd 11 07:22 PM

Underground electrical lines

In article , "Carmen"
wrote:

"Kentucky Cardinal" Kentucky wrote in message
I want to grow a large Hibiscus hedge about 6' in front of my back yard
fence.

My concern is the city has buried electrical lines just in front of this
fence.

Does anyone know if the roots from large shrubs could do any damage to
these buried lines?

Thanks

Great, another easement question. According to HeyBub, you could dig, plant
the shrubs, claim insanity & blame the nursery for not telling you.

Why stop with the nursery? Wouldn't the manufacturer of the shovel share
liability? I don't recall seeing a shovel with a warning label saying
not to use it to plant hibiscus near an underground utility easement.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] July 2nd 11 07:32 PM

Underground electrical lines

"Smitty Two" wrote

Great, another easement question. According to HeyBub, you could dig,
plant
the shrubs, claim insanity & blame the nursery for not telling you.

Why stop with the nursery? Wouldn't the manufacturer of the shovel share
liability? I don't recall seeing a shovel with a warning label saying
not to use it to plant hibiscus near an underground utility easement.

If the shovel was made in China, would the roots go straight down?

George July 2nd 11 08:18 PM

Underground electrical lines

On 7/2/2011 2:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

Great, another easement question. According to HeyBub, you could dig,
plant
the shrubs, claim insanity & blame the nursery for not telling you.

Why stop with the nursery? Wouldn't the manufacturer of the shovel share
liability? I don't recall seeing a shovel with a warning label saying
not to use it to plant hibiscus near an underground utility easement.

If the shovel was made in China, would the roots go straight down?

It would be sold to you by someone who used to make them but now works
at the big box mart.

RicodJour[_2_] July 2nd 11 11:43 PM

Underground electrical lines

On Jul 2, 2:32*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote

Great, another easement question. According to HeyBub, you could dig,
plant
the shrubs, claim insanity & blame the nursery for not telling you.

Why stop with the nursery? Wouldn't the manufacturer of the shovel share
liability? I don't recall seeing a shovel with a warning label saying
not to use it to plant hibiscus near an underground utility easement.

If the shovel was made in China, would the roots go straight down?

Inscrutably.