Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing cement shower base -- any tips?

I'm remodeling a shower with a tiled cement base -- including removal of
that base. It's approx. 32" x 30" x 2" (thinner in the middle where the
drain is). How much would it weigh? Is it better to try to remove it in
one piece? Is that likely to leave the membrane intact? -- not that it
should be needed under a one-piece base, but it wouldn't hurt to use it
anyway if its still OK.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 12:54*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

I'm remodeling a shower with a tiled cement base -- including removal of
that base. It's approx. 32" x 30" x 2" (thinner in the middle where the
drain is). How much would it weigh? Is it better to try to remove it in
one piece? Is that likely to leave the membrane intact? -- not that it
should be needed under a one-piece base, but it wouldn't hurt to use it
anyway if its still OK.

Figure 150 lbs per cubic foot. There's little point in trying to save
the membrane, so there's little reason in attempting to remove the
mortar base in one piece. I'd use something like Redgard on the
plywood if you're concerned about waterproofing - belt and suspenders,
though.