Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it normal for water/fluid to be coming from the outside central AC unit

My central air has a drain line that drains into a drain in the
basement. The water/fluid is not coming from that drain. Besides
that, the outside unit has water around the base. I just noticed it
at sun down. I haven't noticed water there before. Can that be
normal or am I looking at a refrigerant leak?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

My central air has a drain line that drains into a drain in the
basement. The water/fluid is not coming from that drain. Besides
that, the outside unit has water around the base. I just noticed it
at sun down. I haven't noticed water there before. Can that be
normal or am I looking at a refrigerant leak?

A small amount of water at the condenser is normal in humid weather. The
refrigerant line heading into the house is insulated, but the
refrigerant lines inside the condenser unit are not and condensation
will form on the cold portions of those internal components and drip
down and run outside. In less humid weather there won't be enough to
make it outside the unit before it evaporates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 9:23*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
My central air has a drain line that drains into a drain in the
basement. *The water/fluid is not coming from that drain. *Besides
that, the outside unit has water around the base. *I just noticed it
at sun down. *I haven't noticed water there before. *Can that be
normal or am I looking at a refrigerant leak?

Some condensation is normal in hot humid conditions.

You won't see a refrigerant leak, it's a gas at atmospheric pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds like the system has a primary and secondary
drains. Sounds like the primary drain is clogged. You should
call your AC service company.

Outside units typically don't contain, or drain water.
Sometimes an installer will pump the condensate outdoors, so
never say never.

In this case, it's time to call your AC service company.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
My central air has a drain line that drains into a drain in
the
basement. The water/fluid is not coming from that drain.
Besides
that, the outside unit has water around the base. I just
noticed it
at sun down. I haven't noticed water there before. Can
that be
normal or am I looking at a refrigerant leak?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

My central air has a drain line that drains into a drain in
the
basement. *The water/fluid is not coming from that drain.
Besides
that, the outside unit has water around the base. *I just
noticed it
at sun down. *I haven't noticed water there before. *Can
that be
normal or am I looking at a refrigerant leak?

It's probably sweat on the return line from the evaporator still being
cool enough to cause condensation. As someone else said, the
refrigerant will evaporate if there is a leak, there might be a little
residual oil stain from the lubricant that is in with the refrigerant,
but not enough to drip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:23:41 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

My central air has a drain line that drains into a drain in the
basement. The water/fluid is not coming from that drain. Besides
that, the outside unit has water around the base. I just noticed it
at sun down. I haven't noticed water there before. Can that be
normal or am I looking at a refrigerant leak?

There are storms in the area so I guess it will be wet for at least a
few more days. I hope it is just water.

Thanks everyone.