DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Table saw finger remover (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/324845-table-saw-finger-remover.html)

Don Klipstein[_2_] June 22nd 11 07:01 AM

Table saw finger remover

In , Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.nclnet.org/health/99-safe...saw-accidents-
preventable-with-technology-improvements

Did you know that each year, tens of thousands of people are brutally
injured by table saws including 4,000 amputations at a cost of more than
$2 billion a year to treat victims? The National Consumers League is
calling on the Consumer Product Safety Commission to implement safety
changes that would help keep this major public health threat at bay.

This link does not say what the existing technology for safer table saws
is, and mentions 5 gory accidents where 2 of them appeared to me to have
had poor table saw practice contributing to them.

My concern here is a trend of increasingly nannified (at expense) tools
for what - so that their users can get more stupid?

Most table saw injuries can be prevented by a few simple rules for
handling handling them and their usual ways of going wrong:

1: Use a push rod to avoid getting hands/fingers close to the blade.

2: If the push rod has to get really close to the blade, be prepared for
it to make a bad move by 1/4 or maybe even 1/2 inch. Choose a push
rod that is less damaging if it makes a bad move, and/or get as much
of your body out of the way or protected as you can.
For that matter, push rods need to be up to the task of touching the
blade.

3: If anything going out or worse-still going in is small in size, then
a kickback can turn a small piece into a serious projectile. Keep
as much of your body out of the way as possible, wear protective
clothing, or use a different saw.
Small pieces include loose parts - such as some "knots" in wood.

4: A real table saw mounted in an honest-to-gawd table is safer than one
mounted in an 18 inch square or whatever.

5: If things are getting shaky, you are probably using the wrong tool for
the job. Thankfully, cheap casual-grade table saws don't have a
significant rate of turning wood into serious bullets if you are
cutting a large sheet of thick plywood in half - it tends to be
smaller pieces that become bullets.
But if things go wrong with a heavy object being sawed by a saw in
a lightweight table not sufficiently firmly attached at at-least 3
points to something with high weight such as a building, then the
table and the saw could go wayward.

6: Keep in mind that drinking to .05% BAC significantly increases your
risk of crashing your car, despite the fact that most
noted-as-alcohol-related car crashes involved at least .15% BAC.
If Joe Sixpack has a beer or two and then operates a table saw...

7: Read all of the instructions and safety advice. Despite the fact that
some of the safety advice is idiot-oriented, such as do not defeat
safety features, do not repair while plugged-in, do not operate
outdoors in a rainstorm, do not operate under influence of alcohol or
sedative drugs, do not operate in a lava flow or tsunami or while
riding a tornado...

My take is that idiot-proofing table saws beyond the safeguards used in
the 1980's or 1990's invites evolution of idiots and idiots will continue
to get badly injured.
--
- Don Klipstein )

Stormin Mormon June 22nd 11 12:25 PM

Table saw finger remover

While I do encourage people to have CO detectors, and wear
helmets while motorcycle or bicycle riding, I don't wish to
have it legally required. Same with finger savers for table
saws.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[email protected] June 22nd 11 09:55 PM

Table saw finger remover

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:48:24 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 6/19/2011 7:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Dbdblocker" wrote

I don't see how "keep your fingers away from the blade" would not click
to them. It means at all costs! Not if you feel like it some days.

In spite of using care a piece of wood can cause kickback and it draws
your hand to the blade in milliseconds. Sometimes it is being tired,
rushed, or distracted. I wonder how many of those accidents are "just
one more cut and I'm done for the day".

I dare say a good part of them, with most of the rest being people who
watch a DIY show and run out and buy a saw, but never had an experienced
user watching over them and giving them a dope slap when they do
something dangerous. My father, and the master carpenters that worked
for him back in the day, were kind enough to teach me how to use a saw,
and they didn't mince words when I did it wrong. Gotta give Norm Abrams
credit- he always does the safety spiel, uses push sticks and feather
boards, etc.

A good proportion of the injuries are to quite experienced users. It's all
about concentration. Experts can get sloppy, too.

(Side question- I haven't seen any fresh new Yankee Workshops lately,
and Norm barely appears on the other show any more- has he semi-retired
or something? I call him a machinist who happens to work in wood. Yes,
some of his projects are absurd for a DIY to attempt, and his tool
collection is worth more than my house, but he sure is fun to watch.)

I hope to have space and time and money to have a table saw again one
day, but it won't have a self-destruct mechanism like that. But then
again, I won't be doing production work, and I'm already to the point in
life where if I'm tired or hungry or ****ed off, I STOP doing
complicated stuff before I screw something up or hurt myself. There is
always another day to finish it. After enough expensive/painful 'aw
****' moments over the years, that lesson finally sank in.

I finally bought one a couple of years ago. I looked at the SawStops but they
wanted over twice what I paid for my Unisaw. Nope, not worth the money.

I bet more people hurt themselves with circular saws, since there are
probably 1000x as many of those in use. Haven't seen any push to
idiot-proof them, beyond the orange buttons. Chain saws are another
hazardous tool that gets little attention- after the recent storm here,
there were at least a dozen folks (according to the local paper) that
hurt themselves seriously, cutting up downed trees. Right after the
storm, seems like all the guys with a chainsaw in the garage were
running out to get their streets open on their block. The ones with
nice shiny saws seemed a little unsure of themselves, and you could see
the old gray-hairs with the seriously used saws were having to keep an
eye on them.

I've used them but I don't like chain saws. Don't own one.

Steve Barker[_6_] June 23rd 11 09:44 PM

Table saw finger remover

On 6/22/2011 6:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
While I do encourage people to have CO detectors, and wear
helmets while motorcycle or bicycle riding, I don't wish to
have it legally required. Same with finger savers for table
saws.

i agree, and to hell with the pussy bicycle helmets.

--
Steve Barker

aemeijers June 24th 11 12:01 AM

Table saw finger remover

On 6/23/2011 4:44 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/22/2011 6:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
While I do encourage people to have CO detectors, and wear
helmets while motorcycle or bicycle riding, I don't wish to
have it legally required. Same with finger savers for table
saws.

i agree, and to hell with the pussy bicycle helmets.

I'd wear a damn helmet if I could FIND one in my size. The world cares
not about the survival of people with size 8.25 heads, and size 14 feet.

--
aem sends...

aemeijers June 24th 11 11:07 PM

Table saw finger remover

On 6/24/2011 7:41 AM, wrote:
On 19 Jun 2011 02:52:36 GMT, wrote:

They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

So you got all your fingers....... Big Deal !!!!
What you neglected to say is that you cut off your penis around 50
years ago. This is the reason you are still sawing your own wood
instead of having your sons do it. You dont have any sons because you
cut off your family maker when you were around 25 years old !!!!

It takes more than functioning male genitals to have sons. It takes a
willing female.
Just sayin'

--
aem sends...