Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What is journaling, if anything???

I posted to an English ng, but their answer was writing in a journal.
Now I think I'm thinking about some machining process, journaling???
Related to bearings???

What am I thinking of?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:06:20 -0400, mm wrote:

I posted to an English ng, but their answer was writing in a journal.
Now I think I'm thinking about some machining process, journaling???
Related to bearings???

What am I thinking of?

It is what a journaling file system does before it commits data to the
hard drive.

Wasn't it also a way to make a channel in wood or metal?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 20:22:12 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:06:20 -0400, mm wrote:

I posted to an English ng, but their answer was writing in a journal.
Now I think I'm thinking about some machining process, journaling???
Related to bearings???

What am I thinking of?

Try definition #3.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1307841658

Thanks. I had looked in dictionary.com and I see now it did give
that but only in the context of a noun. Didn't pay attention.

There was also an M-W entry for journal bearing but when I
clicked on that it said

journal bearing

To view the definition of journal bearing, activate your
Merriam-Webster Unabridged FREE TRIAL now!

These are all still nouns, and I remember it used as a verb, maybe
like dbdblockers says.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Jun 2011 01:49:00 GMT, Dbdblocker wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:06:20 -0400, mm wrote:

I posted to an English ng, but their answer was writing in a journal.
Now I think I'm thinking about some machining process, journaling???
Related to bearings???

What am I thinking of?

It is what a journaling file system does before it commits data to the
hard drive.

That context is the same as keeping a daily journal or perhaps "Ladies Home
Journal". ;-)

Wasn't it also a way to make a channel in wood or metal?

In wood, anyway, a such a channel is a dado (cross-grain) or rabbet (with the
grain).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
I posted to an English ng, but their answer was writing in a journal.
Now I think I'm thinking about some machining process, journaling???
Related to bearings???

What am I thinking of?

If you write in a journal bearing, chances are the friction will wear away
the notes in short order. Talk to your accountant for a better journal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 12 Jun 2011 01:49:00 GMT, Dbdblocker wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:06:20 -0400, mm wrote:

I posted to an English ng, but their answer was writing in a journal.
Now I think I'm thinking about some machining process, journaling???
Related to bearings???

What am I thinking of?

It is what a journaling file system does before it commits data to the
hard drive.

That might be what I've been thinking about. What DOES a journaling
file system do before it commits data to the hard drive?

Wasn't it also a way to make a channel in wood or metal?

Maybe.

Ed, I keep thinking of my records ground to dust. Rather than a better
journal, I'll try to find a better accountant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

That might be what I've been thinking about. What DOES a journaling
file system do before it commits data to the hard drive?

Journalling, as performed by an NTFS file system, sacrifices user data
that was being written during an interrupted write operation for the
sake of maintaining a "clean" file system.

Under FAT/FAT32, data that was being written during an interrupted
operation can be salvaged, and until that salvage is done the file
system continues to operate just fine because it suffers no real
structural dammage in the process.

I had an NT-4 web server that would nuke 2 weeks worth of IIS log files
any time the server lost power - even though IIS closed each file at the
start of a new day. After the system came back up, the log files were
still there, same time-stamp and file-size, but they were filled will
null characters.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 09:34:20 -0400, "RogerT"
wrote:

Tegger wrote:
mm wrote in
:

I posted to an English ng, but their answer was writing in a journal.
Now I think I'm thinking about some machining process, journaling???
Related to bearings???

What am I thinking of?

What's the context?

I have the same question. What did you post to the "English ng", and what
did the answer say about "writing in a journal"?

I asked what journaling is. And most of their answers were about the
noun journal. I think Home Guy figured out what I was thinking of.
Thanks Home Guy and thanks all for the discussion of other meanings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 00:31:07 -0400, mm wrote:

On 12 Jun 2011 01:49:00 GMT, Dbdblocker wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:06:20 -0400, mm wrote:

I posted to an English ng, but their answer was writing in a journal.
Now I think I'm thinking about some machining process, journaling???
Related to bearings???

What am I thinking of?

It is what a journaling file system does before it commits data to the
hard drive.

That might be what I've been thinking about. What DOES a journaling
file system do before it commits data to the hard drive?

A journaling file system makes a "journal" of the changes to the file, makes a
copy of the file, then performs the changes. A bit is then set to indicate
the new file is now the real file and erases the "journal" and the old file.
The advantage is that "bit" change is atomic (either it happens or it doesn't
- can't be in between). That atomic write, if successful, completes the
update. If power is lost or the system crashes, you still have the old file,
uncorrupted, *and* the journal so the operation can be retried later.