Old May 28th 11, 10:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace T12 fluorescent bulb with T8 bulbs?

I am switching from T12 shop lights to T8 shoplights. Still have several T12
fixtures. I bought a lot of T8 bulbs but I am out of T12 bulbs.

Can I use T8 bulbs in fixtures that previously used T12 bulbs? Of course, T8
bulbs are 32 watt and T12 are 40W. Will the T8 bulbs kill the ballasts in
my remaining T12 fixtures? Will the old T12 ballasts kill my new T8 bulbs?

Thanks for any insight

Walter

www.rationality.net

Old May 28th 11, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"walter" wrote in message
I am switching from T12 shop lights to T8 shoplights. Still have several
T12 fixtures. I bought a lot of T8 bulbs but I am out of T12 bulbs.

Can I use T8 bulbs in fixtures that previously used T12 bulbs? Of course,
T8 bulbs are 32 watt and T12 are 40W. Will the T8 bulbs kill the ballasts
in my remaining T12 fixtures? Will the old T12 ballasts kill my new T8
bulbs?

Thanks for any insight

Walter

www.rationality.net

T12's are 34 watt. They may work but I wouldn't recommend doing it. Just
replace the ballasts with T8 type

Old May 29th 11, 01:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

If the ballast is not a T8 ballast, it will not work. You need a T8 ballast.

My guess is since the fixture already contained T12 lamps, the ballast isn't
for a T8. Therefore, you'll need to change the ballast.

Old May 29th 11, 08:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 8:10*pm, "SBH" wrote:
If the ballast is not a T8 ballast, it will not work. You need a T8 ballast.

My guess is since the fixture already contained T12 lamps, the ballast isn't
for a T8. Therefore, you'll need to change the ballast.

+1...

With most "shop lite" type fixtures the replacement T8 ballast would
cost
you more than buying a replacement fixture with the proper ballast for
T8
lamps already installed in it...

~~ Evan
Old May 29th 11, 08:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 3:07*am, Evan wrote:
On May 28, 8:10*pm, "SBH" wrote:

If the ballast is not a T8 ballast, it will not work. You need a T8 ballast.

My guess is since the fixture already contained T12 lamps, the ballast isn't
for a T8. Therefore, you'll need to change the ballast.

+1...

With most "shop lite" type fixtures the replacement T8 ballast would
cost
you more than buying a replacement fixture with the proper ballast for
T8
lamps already installed in it...

~~ Evan

THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Old May 29th 11, 12:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"The Ghost in The Machine" wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate ass?

Old May 29th 11, 04:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2011 6:49 AM, SBH wrote:
"The Ghost in The wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate ass?

Geez - I didn't think you were a new guy here.

Trolls are required to use all caps - it is part of the annoyance.
(Actually there are several schools of trolldom. Some use all caps. Some
top post with a deleting sig. Some are just idiotic.)

Old May 29th 11, 04:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

A T8 shop light costs 17.81 at Lowes. Their cheapest 2 bulb ballast costs
24.02

You have a better source??

--
www.rationality.net

Old May 29th 11, 10:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:
On 5/29/2011 6:49 AM, SBH wrote:
"The Ghost in The wrote in message
THATS PREPOSTEROUS....WHO DO YOU GET YOUR BALLASTS FROM ?
TGITM

Is your "caps" on permanent lock or are you simply an inconsiderate
ass?

Geez - I didn't think you were a new guy here.

Trolls are required to use all caps - it is part of the annoyance.
(Actually there are several schools of trolldom. Some use all caps.
Some top post with a deleting sig. Some are just idiotic.)

I thought it was just their way of asking to be killfiled. At least, that's how
I responded.

Old May 30th 11, 04:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2011 11:46 AM, walter wrote:
A T8 shop light costs 17.81 at Lowes. Their cheapest 2 bulb ballast
costs 24.02

You have a better source??

$ 17.81, with a LBF ballast that fails in about a year.
All 3 of the T8 4' strips that I bought at Lowes failed.
I replaced all the ballasts with $21.00 GE electronic ballasts
that have a High Ballast Factor.