DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/322557-can-you-use-white-one-leg-240v-circuit.html)

RBM[_3_] May 3rd 11 02:28 AM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/2/2011 6:22 PM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message
On 5/2/2011 5:24 PM, RBM wrote:

--** If you look in 250-140 of any newer code book is shows what "was"
acceptable for electric dryers

Could be; I don't have a copy...

Doesn't really matter; the old rules are no longer in effect but did
seem
worthy to correct the idea that somehow all those earlier installations
were not Code-compliant at the time and only were allowed by
(essentially)
dishonest inspections passing violations.

--
** What we have here, is a total misconception of the code on the part
of
some of these posters. The rules for non insulated neutral/ground use on
cooking and electric dryers are still applicable. New installations must
be
4 wire, but existing installations are perfectly acceptable, if they
were
done properly to begin with. The rules simply required that the non
insulated ground/neutral is part of a type "SE" cable not smaller than
10
gauge, originating from the main service panel. I never suggested that a
two wire cable with uninsulated ground wasn't acceptable, only that
10/2g
Romex was never acceptable, as it is not type SE, the only acceptable
type
of cable that can be used for this purpose

Roger...wasn't clear on the SE rating earlier, thanks for pointing it
out....hmmm...looking at earlier posting I see the way I paraphrased
wasn't really good in indicating that the run does have to be service
cable SE-rated as well as the no branching rule--I was focused on the bare
connector part too much from wording earlier.

** Here is a passage I lifted from a Mike Holt discussion, regarding this
issue:

Article 250-60 in the 1993 code said that the frames of ranges and clothes
dryers "shall be permitted to be grounded to the GROUNDED CIRCUIT CONDUCTOR
if all of the conditions indicated in (a) through (d) below are met."
Condition (c) states that "The grounded conductor is insulated; or the
grounded conductor is uninsulated and part of a Type SE service-entrance
cable and the branch circuit originates at the service equipment."

The Daring Dufas[_7_] May 3rd 11 02:36 AM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On 5/2/2011 8:04 PM, RBM wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 5/2/2011 5:37 AM, RBM wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, RBM wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 5/1/2011 7:40 PM, wrote:
OK, here'e the questiond du jour. Was helping a friend and when we
took off the circuit breaker panel cover we discovered that for both
AC units, whoever did this used white for one of the 240V hots.
There
is no tape or tag to identify it as a hot. Is this allowed by code?
Even if it is, seems bad practice to me. I would have used either
red
or black.

If you see a 10/2 with ground hooked to a two pole breaker on one end
and
disconnect for an AC condensing unit, water heater or dryer plug
on the other end, you pretty much know that the white wire is another
240 volt leg.

I agree with you, although, you should NEVER have a 10/2G feeding an
electric dryer, unless you can find a piece of 10/2 SEU copper, which
I've
never seen.
Despite the code, it is extremely rare that I ever see the white wire
remarked

I've seen it for years but as of late the rule change calls for a four
wire circuit. Years ago I installed a lot of dryers with 10/2 w/gr but
now I use 10/3 w/gr or 8/3 w/gr. The smallest aluminum SEU you can run
in a house around here is #2 which I often use for stoves. Moving an old
dryer to a new location has us removing the old 3 wire cord and plug for
the 4 wire cord and plug. I often run 10/2 w/gr to the disconnect for a
2 ton condensing unit and never bother to mark the white wire because
it's
in the same jacket as the black and ground.

TDD

10/2g is fine for hot water heaters, or A/C units. It has never been
acceptable for an electric dryer, because the ground/neutral was required
be insulated. The only exception was using SUE cable, originating from
the
main service panel

I could swear the darn things have been hooked up for years with a 3 wire
plug and 10/2 but I do go with a 4 wire hook up now. The last
one I installed was in a restaurant where I ran EMT 3 #8's and a #10
ground. The last one I installed in a home was an 8-3 w/gr Romex
circuit with the four wire receptacle. I used #8 because it was on the
far end of the house, short runs to a dryer get 10-3 w/gr and 4 wire
plug and cord.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ff8ata

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3pmzqgc

TDD

** The issue isn't the 3 wire plug and cord set. You just can't connect it
to 10/2g Romex. To be Nec compliant, it had to be connected to 10/2 service
entrance cable, which I've never seen in copper, so it would typically be
connected to 8/2 aluminum service entrance cable.

I think I mentioned it before, around here, the smallest aluminum SEU
cable the inspection service will allow is #2. I would run that to the
stove because it's cheaper than copper, which I think for a 50 amp load
is #6.

TDD

Tom Horne[_4_] May 3rd 11 03:50 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On May 2, 5:35*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

On May 2, 9:03 am, Tom Horne wrote:

On May 2, 7:45 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On May 2, 6:37 am, "RBM" wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, RBM wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 5/1/2011 7:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

required to
be insulated. The only exception was using SUE cable, originating from
the
main service panel- Hide quoted text -

Actually 10/2 with a three prong plug was acceptable for dyers for a
long time. Dryers have a metal strap inside them that connected
neutral and ground together. The code now calls for a 4 prong plug
and 10/3 with ground now. But I'll bet there are still millions of 3
prong installations out there. I don't know if replacing the dryer
meet the code requirement to upgrade to 10/3 since you are not
actually touching the circuit any. Existing circuits do not have to
be upgraded to meet newer code releases.

He was talking about moving the dryer not just replacing it.
--
Tom Horne- Hide quoted text -

I didn't see anything in the thread about moving a dryer? *The op
mentioned it related to the ac compressors. *On pure 240 circuits such
as an ac compressor use of 2 conductors with a ground always has been
and is still accpetable. *Same is true for hot water heaters. *New
wiring for appliances that use both 240 and 120 such as stoves and
electric dryers now requires 3 conductors plus ground. *And a 4 prong
outlet. *RBM stated that 2 condutor with a ground was never accpetable
for dryers and that's just false. *For many years dryers were wired
using 10/2 and the strap inside the dryer connected neutral and ground
together.

** NO, RBM stated that 10/2g was never acceptable for electric dryers. 10/2
copper SEU cable would be acceptable, but I have never seen it. You would
typically see 8/2 aluminum SEU. 10/2g Romex has NEVER been Nec approved for
electric dryers

"I've seen it for years but as of late the rule change calls for a
four
wire circuit. Years ago I installed a lot of dryers with 10/2 w/gr but
now I use 10/3 w/gr or 8/3 w/gr. The smallest aluminum SEU you can run
in a house around here is #2 which I often use for stoves. Moving an
old
dryer to a new location has us removing the old 3 wire cord and plug
for
the 4 wire cord and plug. I often run 10/2 w/gr to the disconnect for
2 ton condensing unit and never bother to mark the white wire because
it's in the same jacket as the black and ground.

TDD"

RBM
Here is the point in the thread were moving dryers was mentioned.
--
Tom Horne

jamesgangnc[_3_] May 3rd 11 03:59 PM

On May 3, 10:50*am, Tom Horne wrote:
On May 2, 5:35*pm, "RBM" wrote:

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

On May 2, 9:03 am, Tom Horne wrote:

On May 2, 7:45 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On May 2, 6:37 am, "RBM" wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, The Daring Dufas *wrote:

"I've seen it for years but as of late the rule change calls for a
four
wire circuit. Years ago I installed a lot of dryers with 10/2 w/gr but
now I use 10/3 w/gr or 8/3 w/gr. The smallest aluminum SEU you can run
in a house around here is #2 which I often use for stoves. Moving an
old
dryer to a new location has us removing the old 3 wire cord and plug
for
the 4 wire cord and plug. I often run 10/2 w/gr to the disconnect for
2 ton condensing unit and never bother to mark the white wire because
it's in the same jacket as the black and ground.

TDD"

RBM
Here is the point in the thread were moving dryers was mentioned.
--
Tom Horne- Hide quoted text -

Missed that one.

I'm still having trouble believing that 10/2 w ground ws not code
accepted at some point in the past. Just because I have seen so many
of them. But I don't have copies of old code laying around to prove
or disprove. And we all agree that any chanes require it be brought
up to 10/3 w ground.

The other point is one I'm not sure about either. Does code require a
white condutor be marked black if it is used as one leg of a 240
circuit?

jamesgangnc[_3_] May 3rd 11 06:55 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On May 3, 11:48*am, wrote:
On Tue, 3 May 2011 07:59:51 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

wrote:
The other point is one I'm not sure about either. *Does code require a
white condutor be marked black if it is used as one leg of a 240
circuit?

Yes it is required to be reidentified. The only place where you didn't
have to do it was in a switch leg using a cable (like Romex) but they
plugged that hole in 1999. They still require that the white be used
as the hot side of the switch leg, even when reidentified. That way
the switched side will be the normal color at the light. (or other
equipment)

Interesting. You sure don't find them re-marked in the real world
much. At least not in residential anyway.

N8N May 3rd 11 08:47 PM

wrote:
The other point is one I'm not sure about either. *Does code require a
white condutor be marked black if it is used as one leg of a 240
circuit?

Yes it is required to be reidentified. The only place where you didn't
have to do it was in a switch leg using a cable (like Romex) but they
plugged that hole in 1999. They still require that the white be used
as the hot side of the switch leg, even when reidentified. That way
the switched side will be the normal color at the light. (or other
equipment)

really? typ. practice is to use black for hot and white for switched
IME

nate

The Ghost in The Machine May 3rd 11 10:21 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On May 3, 5:11*pm, wrote:

wrote:
The other point is one I'm not sure about either. *Does code require a
white condutor be marked black if it is used as one leg of a 240
circuit?

Yes it is required to be reidentified. The only place where you didn't
have to do it was in a switch leg using a cable (like Romex) but they
plugged that hole in 1999. They still require that the white be used
as the hot side of the switch leg, even when reidentified. That way
the switched side will be the normal color at the light. (or other
equipment)

really? *typ. practice is to use black for hot and white for switched
IME

nate

It is not what the code says. The white gets connected to the hot side
and the black is the switched leg so when it gets to the luminaire the
installer is presented with a white and a black.

200-7(C)(2)Where a cable assembly contains an insulated conductor for
single-pole, 3-way or 4-way switch loops and the conductor with white
or gray insulation or a marking of three continuous white stripes is
used for the supply to the switch but not as a return conductor from
the switch to the switched outlet. In these applications, the
conductor with white or gray insulation or with three continuous white
stripes shall be permanently reidentified to indicate its use by
painting or other effective means at its terminations and at each
location where the conductor is visible and accessible.

IF IT IS SO IMPORTANT WHY DON'T THEY MAKE CODE COMPLIANT CABLES...IT'S
EASY WHEN THE WORK IS PIPED OUT YOU CAN EASILY RUN IT PROPERLY, BUT
WHY DONT THEY MAKE IT READY TO GO ON ROLES...ANYHOW, IF I WERE AN
ELECTRICIAN I I WOULD PURCHASE THE EMPTY GREENFIELD AND WIRE IT UP TO
CODE EVERY-TIME...THAT'S WHAT THEY DO IN PROFESSIONAL WORKMAN
SOCIETIES.

YOU PEOPLE HAVE GROWN TOO LAZY AND COMPLACENT...
DAMMIT WHY DID THEY HAVE TO ASSASSINATE ME.....?
FREAKING ENVIOUS EVILDOERS...JUST WAIT UNTIL JESUS RETURNS..
I'LL BE BACK!:)

PATECUM
TGITM

The Ghost in The Machine May 3rd 11 10:35 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

wrote:
[...]

WELL ANYWAY THE ANSWER TO THE OP IS "YES", YOU CAN USE THE WHITE
CONDUCTOR IN A CABLE FOR A 240V CIRCUIT...ONLY THING IS YOU HAVE TO
COLOR CODE IT AS MENTIONED, SOME PEOPLE USE TAPE TO COVER IT UP, SOME
USE PAINT OR BLACK MAGIC MARKER, OTHERS USE HEAT SHRINKABLE TUBING OR
HS TAPE.

SOME PEOPLE THAT DONT GIVE A **** ABOUT CODES OR CONVENTION, JUST WIRE
IT UP AS IS, IF THE NEXT HOME OWNER OR ELECTRICIAN IS NOT CONSCIENCE
OF SUCH CARELESS DUMMIES AND EITHER DE-ENERGIZES OR TESTS THE CIRCUIT
WITH AN AC PROBE THEY MAY GET ZAPPED OR BURN THE LOAD BY WHAT THEY
BELIEVE TO BE A NEUTRAL CONDUCTOR...POOR SAPS...I DO NOT ENVY
THEM...IT'S KARMIC ~ ROY WHERE ARE YOU?..DON'T GO!..FORGET THOSE
TROLLS, AMERICA IS ON THE JOB:)

PATECUM
TGITM

jamesgangnc[_3_] May 4th 11 12:30 PM

wrote:
[...]

TGITM- Hide quoted text -

As much as I hate to agree with this guy I can see a case for 14/2
that has both conductors with black insulation for switch runs.
Personally I like to run the power to the switch box myself and that
avoids the problem of a hot white.

RBM[_3_] May 4th 11 12:36 PM

wrote:
[...]

** It would be impractical to have to carry a special cable just to run
switch legs. You can always run a 3 wire cable and use red and black. The
new Nec will be requiring a neutral at switch locations, so the problem will
be eliminated anyway

jamesgangnc[_3_] May 4th 11 12:42 PM

wrote:
[...]

be eliminated anyway- Hide quoted text -

I can see your point on "special" wire. Sharpie is a lot smaller.

Glad to hear about the code change. Reinforces my currrent
practice :-)

The Daring Dufas[_7_] May 4th 11 12:46 PM

wrote:
[...]

Having a white neutral conductor in a 14-3 for switch legs makes it easy
to install timers, lighted indicators and all sorts of controls
for energy management in the switch boxes. I'm sure there are going
to be a lot of energy management mandates showing up in building codes
and specs for them in The NEC in the coming months and years if there
are not already rules and laws in places like Californiastan. ^_^

TDD

The Daring Dufas[_7_] May 4th 11 03:18 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On 5/4/2011 7:13 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 1 May 2011 17:40:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

OK, here'e the questiond du jour. Was helping a friend and when we
took off the circuit breaker panel cover we discovered that for both
AC units, whoever did this used white for one of the 240V hots. There
is no tape or tag to identify it as a hot. Is this allowed by code?
Even if it is, seems bad practice to me. I would have used either red
or black.

A white wire can NEVER be used as a hot wire, and you have clearly and
intentionally violated the law, and deserve prosecution to the fullest
extent of the law.

Now that you have admitted your guilt to this criminal activity, the
building inspectors will trace your internet service, come to this
home, and arrest all occupants, along with condemning the home.
You're in really big trouble. Don't be surprised if you find yourself
looking down the barrel of several powerful firearms, held by U.S.
Navy Seals, and if you resist arrest, they will not hesitate to shoot
and kill you, just like Osama Bin Laden. You are a threat to society
and must be prosecuted or eliminated.

ROTFLMAO, Send in Seal Team Six! The perp miss-wired a light switch!

That would probably be the reaction in a weird place like San Francisco.
They would have to confiscate all computers, phones and
electronic devices near the perp to make sure there are no other
domestic terrorist plans extant. ^_^

TDD

Bud-- May 4th 11 03:47 PM

On 5/3/2011 9:59 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

I'm still having trouble believing that 10/2 w ground ws not code
accepted at some point in the past. Just because I have seen so many
of them. But I don't have copies of old code laying around to prove
or disprove.

It was never acceptable under the NEC.

Whoever sets the electrical rules where you are may have modified NEC,
or inspectors may have used their discretion to allow it.

And we all agree that any chanes require it be brought
up to 10/3 w ground.

Depends on what "changes" you are talking about. Existing wiring with SE
cable (or an insulated ground wire) is explicitly grandfathered in the NEC.

--
bud--

metspitzer May 4th 11 04:13 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On Wed, 4 May 2011 04:30:52 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

As much as I hate to agree with this guy I can see a case for 14/2
that has both conductors with black insulation for switch runs.
Personally I like to run the power to the switch box myself and that
avoids the problem of a hot white.

Running the power to the switch makes a less flexible condition.
Places like bedrooms (although they are coming less and less with an
overhead light) and living areas where you might want to add a ceiling
fan would not have constant power at the light box.

metspitzer May 4th 11 04:14 PM

On Wed, 4 May 2011 07:36:41 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

** It would be impractical to have to carry a special cable just to run
switch legs. You can always run a 3 wire cable and use red and black. The
new Nec will be requiring a neutral at switch locations, so the problem will
be eliminated anyway

That makes the most flexible condition.

The Ghost in The Machine May 4th 11 11:50 PM

wrote:
[...]

USING EMPTY GREENFIELD [ARMORED FLEXIBLE CONDUIT] AND FILLING IT
ACCORDINGLY IS NOT ONLY PRACTICAL BUT OPEN TO COMPLIANCE OF ANY CODE
VARIATIONS.
DON'T **** ME OFF RIBCAGE ;/

TGITM

The Ghost in The Machine May 4th 11 11:57 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On May 4, 7:46*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

*wrote:
[...]

THAT'S TRUE THOUGH, IT LEAVES ROOM FOR OTHER APPLICATIONS AT THE SW
LOCATION.
BUT I HATE TO HAVE UNNECESSARY DEAD END WIRES IN A BOX WITHOUT PRIOR
PLANIFICATION, CHANCES ARE THEY WILL NEVER BE USED AT ALL...

USING GREENFIELD IS THE WAY TO GO, YOU CAN FILL IT ANYWAY YOU NEED TO.

TGITM

The Ghost in The Machine May 5th 11 12:00 AM

On May 4, 11:14*am, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2011 07:36:41 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

** It would be impractical to have to carry a special cable just to run
switch legs. You can always run a 3 wire cable and use red and black. The
new Nec will be requiring a neutral at switch locations, so the problem will
be eliminated anyway

That makes the most flexible condition.

WRONG......RECAP.....A FIXED FILLED CABLE IS NOT FLEXIBLE AT ALL.

TGITM

Nate Nagel May 5th 11 12:31 AM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On 05/04/2011 06:57 PM, The Ghost in The Machine wrote:
On May 4, 7:46 am, The Daring
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

My understanding is that the white must be connected to neutral so it
won't be "dead" although it may be unused (now it will be "grounded" but
not "grounding," although if I understand correctly it won't be allowed
to be repurposed for anything else.) I actually agree Greenfield
but it's impractical sometimes in old work, and a LOT more expensive
than Romex. One place I could see it being used and not being much more
expensive than the alternatives however is bathrooms what with all sorts
of combination light/fan/heater things in the ceiling.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The Ghost in The Machine May 5th 11 12:48 AM

wrote:

* *wrote:
[...]

JUST FOR ARGUEMENTS SAKE - A NEUTRAL WILL CARRY A CURRENT WITH RESPECT
TO GROUND WHEN COMPLETING AN ADJACENT CIRCUIT....I WOULDNT LEAVE A
COVERED NEUTRAL LOOSE IN A BOX JUST BECAUSE IT MAY BE USEFUL IN SOME
FANTASY FUTURE.
IF PUSH COMES TO SHOVE IT SHOULD BE JUST LEFT UNATTACHED, UNSPLICED &
CURLED UP ON THE SIDE....ANY GOOD COULD BECOME OF IT IF NEEDED...BUT
NEVER LEAVE A CURRENT CARRYING CONDUCTOR LAYING IN THERE JUST BECAUSE
IT MAY COME IN HANDY IN THE FUTURE...YOU ATTACH IT WHEN & IF IT IS
NEEDED.......NATE.

TGITM

The Daring Dufas[_7_] May 5th 11 01:11 AM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On 5/4/2011 5:57 PM, The Ghost in The Machine wrote:
On May 4, 7:46 am, The Daring
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Having worked for years as a commercial/industrial electrician, I always
left a pull string in every conduit. If I ever built a house,
it would be wired like a commercial building with EMT conduit. :-)

TDD

TDD

RBM[_3_] May 5th 11 02:53 AM

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
My understanding is that the white must be connected to neutral so it
won't be "dead" although it may be unused (now it will be "grounded" but
not "grounding," although if I understand correctly it won't be allowed to
be repurposed for anything else.) I actually agree Greenfield but
it's impractical sometimes in old work, and a LOT more expensive than
Romex. One place I could see it being used and not being much more
expensive than the alternatives however is bathrooms what with all sorts
of combination light/fan/heater things in the ceiling.

nate
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

**The new code will require a neutral at switch locations, to be used (or
not) as a neutral, for timers or electronic switching devices. In
residential wood stud applications Greenfield would be too expensive, not
only in cost of materials, but labor costs would be increased. You'd have to
drill 1" holes in the framing, and use large boxes, metal only, with 1/2"
knockouts. In addition to the circuit conductors, you have to pull a
grounding conductor. Just use cable

The Ghost in The Machine May 5th 11 03:06 AM

On May 4, 9:53*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

THAT NEW IMAGINARY CODE OF THE FUTURE WONT COME TO PASS AT ALL.....YOU
CAN ALSO PULL THE WIRES OUT OF REGULAR BX AND REFILL THEM TO
CODE......THAT OR JUST USE THE 10/2 12/2 or 14/2 TOU HAVE AND COLOR
CODE IT.......GREENFIELD IS THE BEST WAY....IF YOUR NOT A CHEAPY
HOMEOWNER.
BUT IF YOURE A STICKLER FOR PERFECTION...GO WITH THE GREENFIELD..IT
WIRES UP FUTURE CIRCUITS JUST FINE...LEAVE A PULL STRING IT IT LIKE
SUGGESTED AND TRASH THE STINGY EL CHEAPO BUDGET IDEA...THE INSPECTOR
WILL RECOMMEND YOUR WORK TO EVERYONE...EITHER WAY YOU'LL HAVE THE
ULTIMATE NEC COMPLIANT RESIDENCE.

TGITM

The Daring Dufas[_7_] May 5th 11 09:12 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On 5/5/2011 12:22 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 04 May 2011 19:11:12 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Having worked for years as a commercial/industrial electrician, I always
left a pull string in every conduit. If I ever built a house,
it would be wired like a commercial building with EMT conduit. :-)

In residential, smurf tube (ENT) is a good alternative to EMT. It
gives you the flexibility without the hassle.

I've used it with much success in the applications where I wanted it
but I'll want the EMT in my place because of the inherent EM shielding
of the metal conduit. I play with a lot of signal and DATA cabling so
I want to prevent as much interference as I can. I can't imagine the
thousands of feet of conduit and wire I've run. It gets away from you
because of the sheer volume. In the late 1980's I was installing a
Halon fire suppression and alarm system in the mission control center
for a part of The SDI Program and me and the crew I was working with,
pulled 20,000 feet of 14 THHN stranded into different 3/4 EMT runs in
one day. That was just a small part of the system and the stuff adds up.
When you run a lot of EMT you can pretty much look at an area and know
how you're going install your conduit runs because you'll do the job in
your head first. Of course when I win the giant lottery and I get a
gazillion dollars to build my dream home, I'll go with wide metal studs
and steel frame which makes conduit easier to install anyway. ^_^

TDD

N8N May 5th 11 09:39 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

*wrote:

[...]

yuck. I hate steel studs, unless they're installed at 12" OC or less.

Of course, I like plaster walls, too.

Nothing annoys me more than slamming a door and having every bloody
wall in the house shake. just makes the place feel cheap, and is
widespread among new construction McMansions... (even if they use
wood 2x4s they often install them 24" OC instead of 16" like a good
carpenter would. Hate hate hate hate hate hate it.)

nate

The Daring Dufas[_7_] May 5th 11 10:34 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On 5/5/2011 3:39 PM, N8N wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yea but, my walls would be sound damped which would add to their mass
which would prevent rattling. No half way measures for a gazillionaire
geek. ^_^

TDD

Robert Green May 6th 11 06:46 AM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 5/5/2011 3:39 PM, N8N wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My walls would be hollow and wide enough to walk through. I would install
the obligatory portraits with the eye holes cut out and I'd dig an escape
tunnel into the woods behind the house that had rails and a jet propelled
exit sled. And I'd have a moat and drawbridge with a secret trap door to
send Saturday morning door-knocking, save your soul religious types straight
to a moat baptism while fighting off the alligators and piranhas in the
water. That way, I could get to look down at them and say: "You disagreed
with something that ate you."

--
Bobby G.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] May 6th 11 12:55 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On 5/6/2011 12:46 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 5/5/2011 3:39 PM, N8N wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I used to have fun frightening those Jesus freaks when they came to the
door by claiming to be in the middle of Satanic ritual sacrifice of a
nubile virgin. If I saw them in the area going from house to house and
had the time, I would call some friends to get in on it and setup a
whole faux Satanic ritual to confront the proselytizers with. I had a
couple of gal pals who did the greatest evil diva act which would send
many of the door knockers running in terror. It was such fun back then. ^_^

TDD

jamesgangnc[_3_] May 6th 11 01:33 PM

On May 4, 9:53*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, labor costs would be through the roof. If you were building
your own maybe. The materials would still be more but not as
ridiculously higher as the labor would be. The benefit is not enough
to make me consider it. It's not that hard to pull more wire in old
residential work. You just have to go the long way occasionally.

The Ghost in The Machine May 6th 11 02:03 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On May 6, 7:55*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 5/6/2011 12:46 AM, Robert Green wrote:

"The Daring *wrote in message
On 5/5/2011 3:39 PM, N8N wrote:

* * wrote:

[...]

SHAME ON YOU DD....YOU MUST CONFESS YOUR SINS ELSEWHERE..
AND REPENTANCE NOT BOASTING ABOUT IT IS THE KEY TO ABSOLUTION.
WHAT SO EVER YOU DO TO THE LEAST OF YOUR BRETHREN, THAT YOU DO UNTO
"HIM".
SATAN IS VERY INTERESTED IN YOU ^@^

TGITM

The Ghost in The Machine May 6th 11 02:05 PM

wrote:
On 5/6/2011 12:46 AM, Robert Green wrote:

"The Daring *wrote in message
On 5/5/2011 3:39 PM, N8N wrote:

* * wrote:

[...]

AND YOUR HOT FRIENDS & GAL PALS :€
TGITM

The Ghost in The Machine May 6th 11 06:14 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On May 6, 11:44*am, wrote:
On Fri, 6 May 2011 05:33:32 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

wrote:
On May 4, 9:53*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Chicago still requires EMT in residential the last time I heard but I
think you can use Romex out in the burbs.

ENT (smurf) is a good compromise. You get the flexibility of being
able to run different wire and not a huge labor factor.

In the addition I did in my house everything going down the block and
concrete walls is in smurf. This is poured tie beam construction so
what is in the wall is all you will ever get.http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addi...murf%20job.jpg
A home run of 3/4" smurf makes it easy to change your mind.
There are also low voltage outlets for TV/phone/data.

It all originates in a J box where the home runs start.
Changing what does what may be as easy as moving a wire between wire
nuts.http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addition/j_box.jpg

YOU'VE LABELED THEM WRONG...RED IS ALWAYS HOT AND BLACK IS THE
SWITCHED SIDE.
I PITY THE FOOL THAT HAS TO WORK ON THAT WHEN YOU'RE GONE IF HE DOESNT
GET TO SEE YOUR LEGEND.....OTHER THAN THAT....NICE WORK.

TGITM

JIMMIE May 6th 11 11:12 PM

On May 2, 5:35*pm, "RBM" wrote:

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

On May 2, 9:03 am, Tom Horne wrote:

On May 2, 7:45 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On May 2, 6:37 am, "RBM" wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, RBM wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 5/1/2011 7:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

circuit?- Hide quoted text -

My home was built in 1990 and water heater is wired with 10-2 with
ground. All the elements are 240 and there would be no place to
connect a neutral. My electric range was wired for 10-3 with
ground....... part of the reason is that at least part of the stove is
120VAC. Diagram of the stove shows an electronics board that gets its
power from 110VAC.

Jimmie

The Ghost in The Machine May 7th 11 04:31 PM

On May 2, 5:35*pm, "RBM" wrote:

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

On May 2, 9:03 am, Tom Horne wrote:

On May 2, 7:45 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On May 2, 6:37 am, "RBM" wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, RBM wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 5/1/2011 7:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

WHAT'S YOUR POINT?
TGITM

TWayne May 7th 11 07:46 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

Yes, as long as it's labelled or colored at each end what its color should
be. I think It's in the NEC but I can't cite it.

IIRC, and you might want to check this out for su

In such a ckt, the norm is:
RED = Always hot
Blk = switched hot
WH = Neutral

metspitzer May 7th 11 08:08 PM

Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On Sat, 7 May 2011 14:46:49 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

Yes, as long as it's labelled or colored at each end what its color should
be. I think It's in the NEC but I can't cite it.

IIRC, and you might want to check this out for su

In such a ckt, the norm is:
RED = Always hot
Blk = switched hot
WH = Neutral

I always made the red the switched. So much for normal.

I had a foreman once that ordered purple to use for travelers and
switch legs. I always thought that was a good idea.

RBM[_3_] May 7th 11 08:29 PM

wrote:

Yes, as long as it's labelled or colored at each end what its color should
be. I think It's in the NEC but I can't cite it.

IIRC, and you might want to check this out for su

In such a ckt, the norm is:
RED = Always hot
Blk = switched hot
WH = Neutral

I always made the red the switched. So much for normal.

I had a foreman once that ordered purple to use for travelers and
switch legs. I always thought that was a good idea.

** That's fine if you're pulling your own conductors. The Nec has no
specific colors for switched legs, other than not using the white wire of a
cable, as the return from a switch. All colors are considered "hot" except
green, white, and natural gray. and no, I have no idea what the difference
is between gray, and natural gray.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] May 7th 11 11:05 PM

wrote:

Yes, as long as it's labelled or colored at each end what its color should
be. I think It's in the NEC but I can't cite it.

IIRC, and you might want to check this out for su

In such a ckt, the norm is:
RED = Always hot
Blk = switched hot
WH = Neutral

I always made the red the switched. So much for normal.

I had a foreman once that ordered purple to use for travelers and
switch legs. I always thought that was a good idea.

** That's fine if you're pulling your own conductors. The Nec has no
specific colors for switched legs, other than not using the white wire of a
cable, as the return from a switch. All colors are considered "hot" except
green, white, and natural gray. and no, I have no idea what the difference
is between gray, and natural gray.

Natural gray is really old and cranky wire. ^_^

TDD