Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neighbor problem (long)

On Apr 29, 3:12*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 29, 2:38*pm, bob haller wrote:

On Apr 29, 2:22*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Apr 29, 1:26*pm, bob haller wrote:

On Apr 29, 1:14*pm, "Carmen Troyer" wrote:

4 yrs ago, new neighbors moved in adjacent to my property.

The neighbor talked about building a deck. He didn't have a clue how to go
about it. Being in the trades years ago, I volunteered to "help" him.
Needless to say, he was my helper. Tis ok, that's what I loved about our
neighborhood, everyone always offer to help someone else. BTW, this was no
charge for all my effort. He said once the deck was built, he would have a
cookout inviting all the neighbors.

While we were "at it", we took out his patio slider, replaced it with
French doors. I still have my brake & some coils of aluminum, so all the
exterior trim work was done at my expense.

Well, he threw a party all right. Inviting all his relatives and not one
neighbor, not even myself or my family. Ok, I need to get over it and move
on. But, he & his family are absolute pigs. The patio doors are still
leaning against his garage, 2 years later. He has trash such as carpet
laying out by the deck, which has been there for at least a year. One
neighbor moved away because this guy refuses to mow his yard until the city
makes him. He has a commercial sit down new "Scag". He parks his trailer
for the mower in his front yard. The city has made him move his trailer
numerous times.

There's no talking to this guy, he's has an excuse for everything.. I told
him I seen mice in the carpet, he said he doesn't have time to dispose of
it.

His place is an eye sore, simply because he's lazy. I'm embarrassed to have
company over, cause from my deck, it looks like I live next door to a dump.
This guy has no less than 4 old snowblowers sitting around in his back
yard.

Aside from calling the city, and bothering them every week. Anyone have any
suggestions? Yeah, I could move. He's already chased one family out of the
neighborhood, really don't want to give him the satisfaction of chasing out
another.

Send a anymous letter from the so and so street improvement
association detailing the issues visible from the street or other
peoples back yards and mail it to him no return address. say he is
running down home values

say if these issues arent attended too the neighborhood will complain
to the community which may result in hassles and fines.

it cant hurt as long as you tell no one you sent it and it might
help....

if you have to move then get a more rural home so your neighbors are
far enough away they cant bug you being slobs.

personally i just ignore sloppy neighbors messes, life is too short
and ultimately they probably wouldnt care, so all the stress is yours.

if you decide to sell ask neighbor nicely you will clean up his yard
to make your home easier to sell- Hide quoted text -

*if you decide to sell ask neighbor nicely you will clean up his
yard to make your home easier to sell"

Better yet, lie about moving.

If you'd be willing to clean up the neighbor's yard prior to moving,
then you should be willing to clean up the yard and stay.

Tell the slob that your house is going on the market, clean up the
mess and then say that family/financial/pet related issues have forced
you to change your mind about moving.- Hide quoted text -

Its imortant to avoid at all costs strarting a neighborhood war!!!

Wars are ugly and everyone looses...

Your far better off moving, or the complaints and retaliatory
complaints can make everyone miserable

messy neighbor might be great litigator, costing you money. even
nuisance suits need defending- Hide quoted text -

How would a white lie about moving and then cleaning up the neighbor's
yard for him start a war?

How have you harmed him in any way that would cause him to retaliate?

In the end, he should be thankful that you took care of some items
that he claimed (according to the OP) "he doesn't have time to dispose
of".

If the OP doesn't want to lie, then he could put the house on the
market at a price that no one will make an offer on ("I'm just trying
to see if there is any interest") and then pull it when the clean-up
is done. No lies and no cost...because if someone does bite, he can
take the money and run!- Hide quoted text -

first i dont believe its a very big mess, but he can offer to take
stuff to dump, frankly it wouldnt bother me.

a percentage of people will get mad with any comment......

and call police for every little thing. their dog pooped in my yard,
their dog barks a lot, their kid ran thru my flowers, their kid picked
some of my prize begonias, they ran their lawnmower too early or too
late inb the day, its been too long since they cut their grass yeah
its rained for 3 straight weeks but I had mine cut., their bushes are
over the local stated max heigth, the car in their driveways tags
expired 2 weeks ago, are they running a home business? what laws are
being broken? they have a wasps nest under their yard planter, their
downspout water reaches my yard in a 100 year storm, well now their
downspout water goes to the curb, no longer to my yard but isnt it
illegal to run water near street? they really need a drywell properly
installed and inspected. A electrician was at their home for 1/2 a day
last week, did they get a electricial permit? their sidewalks snow
hasnt been shoeveled its been over 24 hours, yeah I heard they are out
of town a family member died unexpectedly thats sad but does that
relieve them of the responsiblity to clear their sidewalk? The fine is
100 bucks? well you must cite them we want a safe neighborhood. Their
kids swimming pool pump motor is too loud be sure to bring a DB meter,
the noise is keeping me up at night, whats the fine for that, and dont
they need a fence? year its only a wading pool but its called a pool
for safety dont they need a fence? The neighbor is replacing some deck
boards, doesnt he need a building permit and inspection? The permit is
200 bucks? well we want a safe neighborood, and BTW he added some
steps on the side, isnt there a sewer eastment there? did he get his
property surveyed like he is supposed too? yep its only 3 steps but
its the principle of the thing. Some of his kids are visiting and they
set up their camper in the driveway, is that allowed? Their new porch
light shines in my bedroom window, this must end immediately. Their
motion senor lights trigger when dear walk thru the area, its very
annoying and besides they are feeding the deer creating a attractive
nuisance, I winged a dear last night thats your fault since you are
feeding them the damages to my vehicle are 1500 bucks pay immediately
or I will see you in court.

neighborhood wars are well best avoided!!!