DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fixing lawnmower deck shroud (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/322411-fixing-lawnmower-deck-shroud.html)

wf3h[_2_] April 29th 11 03:11 AM

fixing lawnmower deck shroud

have a john deere mower...hit a stump and bent the mower deck shroud.
any good way to straighten this? thanks much

aemeijers April 29th 11 04:52 AM

On 4/28/2011 10:11 PM, wf3h wrote:
have a john deere mower...hit a stump and bent the mower deck shroud.
any good way to straighten this? thanks much

Any competent tractor shop will have the skillset and tools to fix you
right up. Even pro lawn services run over the occasional concrete block
hiding in tall grass.

--
aem sends...

willshak April 29th 11 01:57 PM

wf3h wrote the following:
have a john deere mower...hit a stump and bent the mower deck shroud.
any good way to straighten this? thanks much

I use a hammer.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Jim Elbrecht April 29th 11 02:02 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:11:59 -0400, wf3h wrote:

have a john deere mower...hit a stump and bent the mower deck shroud.
any good way to straighten this? thanks much

Sure-- I can see several different 'bends' in my head. Each might
take a different approach;
3 lb hammer ; 12" crescent wrench and a 3' pipe ; hydraulic jack & a
2x4 ; chain and a tree-- and since the mower might not have the
traction that '55 chevy did, maybe add a truck and another chain.

Put that stump to work-- back over it, dropping the deck at the right
moment & it might pop things back in place.

Jim

Jules Richardson April 29th 11 03:46 PM

fixing lawnmower deck shroud

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:11:59 -0400, wf3h wrote:

have a john deere mower...hit a stump and bent the mower deck shroud.
any good way to straighten this? thanks much

Heat from a torch and a big hammer.

wf3h[_2_] April 30th 11 12:46 AM

fixing lawnmower deck shroud

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:52:09 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 4/28/2011 10:11 PM, wf3h wrote:
have a john deere mower...hit a stump and bent the mower deck shroud.
any good way to straighten this? thanks much

Any competent tractor shop will have the skillset and tools to fix you
right up. Even pro lawn services run over the occasional concrete block
hiding in tall grass.

yeah i think i might have to do this...

wf3h[_2_] April 30th 11 12:47 AM

fixing lawnmower deck shroud

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:02:19 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:11:59 -0400, wf3h wrote:

have a john deere mower...hit a stump and bent the mower deck shroud.
any good way to straighten this? thanks much

Sure-- I can see several different 'bends' in my head. Each might
take a different approach;
3 lb hammer ; 12" crescent wrench and a 3' pipe ; hydraulic jack & a
2x4 ; chain and a tree-- and since the mower might not have the
traction that '55 chevy did, maybe add a truck and another chain.

Put that stump to work-- back over it, dropping the deck at the right
moment & it might pop things back in place.

Jim

one of my coworkers, who has extensive experience with j. deere,
suggested a torch and hammer....might have to do that

[email protected] April 30th 11 01:37 AM

fixing lawnmower deck shroud

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:11:59 -0400, wf3h wrote:

have a john deere mower...hit a stump and bent the mower deck shroud.
any good way to straighten this? thanks much

Back over the stump??
Seriously, once they are sprung they can be very difficult to get back
to shape - how bad? Pictures??