Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hole Saw size

What size hole saw do I need to make a hole to mount an old work
octagonal box. Your help will save me time and conversation with
people I had rather not talk with in the BIG BOX store.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 14, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
What size hole saw do I need to make a hole to mount an old work
octagonal box. Your help will save me time and conversation with
people I had rather not talk with in the BIG BOX store.

Jimmie

I found out something interesting while trying to answer your
question... apparently the Carlon "old work" round boxes aren't UL
listed for fixture support? so I guess they are pretty much only
useful for smoke detectors. Maybe use one with a fixture bar
instead? that is, cut the hole, then install the fixture bar through
the hole (might need a punch to "set" it) then install the box to the
fixture bar. (that's what I did the one time that I had an issue like
this - landlady had a ceiling box "fall down" and I used a fixture bar
and regular box to fix it.)

If you go that route, the size hole saw you need should be obvious
through inspection (that is, take the box and walk over to the hole
saws.)

good luck,

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

What size hole saw do I need to make a hole to mount an old work
octagonal box. Your help will save me time and conversation with
people I had rather not talk with in the BIG BOX store.

Your tape measure is broken...?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 5:37*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 14, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

What size hole saw do I need to make a hole to mount an old work
octagonal box. Your help will save me time and conversation with
people I had rather not talk with in the BIG BOX store.

Your tape measure is broken...?

Yep got several tape measures, just dont have one with me, was going
to stop by the store on the way home. Just hoping someone here may
know. I had one I used for years and it came up missing the other
day. Didnt really know what size it was just knew it was good for
those blue plastic boxes at the big box store. Hate going in there but
they will be the only place open when I leave work. Always prefer C&M
hardware. There is a 70+ year old lady in there that has never failed
to answer any question I may right off the top of her head.

Jimmie

Jimmie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 5:17*pm, N8N wrote:
On Apr 14, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

What size hole saw do I need to make a hole to mount an old work
octagonal box. Your help will save me time and conversation with
people I had rather not talk with in the BIG BOX store.

Jimmie

I found out something interesting while trying to answer your
question... *apparently the Carlon "old work" round boxes aren't UL
listed for fixture support? *so I guess they are pretty much only
useful for smoke detectors.

There are more than one type of the old work plastic boxes made
by Carlon. I think the type you are referring to is the one with
the 3 plastic ears that rotate out. And like you say, they aren't
for fixtures of any kind. But given that the stores are selling lots
of them, I bet plenty wind up being used for fixtures.

They also make one that has sheet metal on each side that
compresses outward when tightened. Those are rated for
a reasonable number of pounds,
like maybe 8 lbs I think.

*Maybe use one with a fixture bar
instead? *that is, cut the hole, then install the fixture bar through
the hole (might need a punch to "set" it) then install the box to the
fixture bar. *(that's what I did the one time that I had an issue like
this - landlady had a ceiling box "fall down" and I used a fixture bar
and regular box to fix it.)

If you go that route, the size hole saw you need should be obvious
through inspection (that is, take the box and walk over to the hole
saws.)

good luck,

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
What size hole saw do I need to make a hole to mount an old work
octagonal box. Your help will save me time and conversation with
people I had rather not talk with in the BIG BOX store.

Jimmie

Didnt get off work last night in time to go by the store. Worked
until 0230 this morning
Got the boxes installed, still dont know what size. I just drew a
circle using the base of the box and roto zipped it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 8:08*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 14, 5:17*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 14, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info, just putting in some outdoor spot lights under
the eve mounted in plywood. There are some people who walk thru my
yard at night. Dont think they have bothered anything just
trespassing. BTW a didnt get by the store in time to get a hole saw,
used a rotozip innstead.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 11:47*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 14, 8:08*pm, "
wrote:

On Apr 14, 5:17*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 14, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like a much cheaper way to do it. A hole saw big enough for an
electrical box is a damn big hole saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And in the big picture, who really cares?
If you did these for a living, maybe get the
tool. For occasional use, hold, mark, cut.
You did fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

Didnt get off work last night in time to go by
the store. Worked until 0230 this morning
Got the boxes installed, still dont know what
size. I just drew a circle using the base of the
box and roto zipped it.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

Didnt get off work last night in time to go by
the store. Worked until *0230 *this morning
Got the boxes installed, still dont know what
size. I just drew a circle using the base of the
box and roto zipped it.

Jimmie

Forgot I had the rotozip. I got it for a Xmass present a couple of
years ago, played with it a bit and put it away. Checked out the cost
of those big hole saws, YIKES.
I hadnt bought one in about 25 years.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Apr 14, 5:17*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 14, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Thay make them for can lights. ;-)

Pilot Hole Size Rick Hughes[_3_] UK diy 10 September 3rd 14 10:13 AM
B&D Workmate hole size?? Jerome Meekings Woodworking 2 July 22nd 07 04:45 PM
Issue with Hole size Sai Metalworking 3 October 26th 05 08:14 PM
Post hole size Jim UK diy 8 April 5th 05 09:54 AM
What hole size for 1/2-20 thread? PrecisionMachinisT Metalworking 18 December 19th 04 07:27 PM