Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central AC

I'll be putting in the outside unit (condenser) at the rental
tomorrow, the lines were cut back near the A coil, but there are a few
inches to work with. I've never done this before.

The outside diameter line is .733" and .383", I'm thinking that must
be 5/8 and 5/16, is that right, or is that 3/4, 3/8 OD?

What should I solder that with and what kind of coupling? I've got
some Stay-Brite #8 (and a map torch). Will that work, or would something
else be better or easier.

The outside unit is R22, Goodman CRT24-1A. Is that any good? The
house is 900SF.

I suppose since the A coil is perhaps 15 years or so old, that it will
be fine with that. Is that right?

I'll need to pick up some charging gauges, I have an old vacuum pump.
I don't have a thermocouple temp gauge but I do have an IR thermometer
and some old chemistry thermometers. I, of course, want to stay on this
side of slugging the compressor. How should I go about charging this? I
think this has an expansion valve (but am not positive), so that would
be sub cooling.

Any hints or such? Pointers or resources?

What about R22a? Something else?

On another note, I have friend whose central AC hasn't worked for a
couple years. Something funky where they have to rewire it for either
heat or AC. Not much money there and she had someone out to look at it
who said it was $200 job. Might as well have been $2,000.

So I had a look at this, the furnace is in the attic, man it was hot
up there! No voltage at the thermostat. The thermostat wires went to a
board with two relays on that with wires running out to the outside unit
and some other wires that were not quite hooked up to the furnace board,
a couple inches short of being screwed down. I suppose that is a $200
repair...

Jeff

Run Central A/C fan 24/7? sophiesdad Home Repair 6 August 1st 07 10:46 AM
how much should central AC run ? [email protected] Home Repair 23 June 22nd 05 12:16 PM
central air? maxinemovies Home Repair 10 March 10th 05 03:52 PM
Central air help [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 16th 05 05:59 AM
central vac as DC Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 1 December 31st 04 12:14 AM