DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sunken driveway (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/321278-sunken-driveway.html)

Andy[_17_] April 4th 11 01:41 AM

Sunken driveway

My mother's house is 55 yrs. old.

Her driveway has sunken and I am wondering why.

Maybe it is the water supply from the city ?

As in the void from the water supply ?

Joe April 4th 11 05:18 AM

Sunken driveway

On Apr 3, 7:41*pm, Andy wrote:
My mother's house is 55 yrs. old.

Her driveway has sunken and I am wondering why.

Maybe it is the water supply from the city ?

As in the void from the water supply ?

The driveway was probably installed over a poorly prepared base like
the half assed grading common to many new subdivisions. Over time it
has compacted, especially if they used trash in the fill, another
common mistake. Your options are a) tear it up and do it right or b)
get someone to probe the surrounding soil for voids and then tear it
up and do it over. Whichever, good luck.

Joe