DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Old B&D Router (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/321192-old-b-d-router.html)

Puddin' Man April 2nd 11 03:24 AM

Old B&D Router

b&d cat no 7614 Type 3, 1 1/2 hp 9a.
Appears that the collet will take 1/4" shank ONLY!!!

I think the 1.5 hp might be good for certain work with .5" shank bits.

Any way to get these to take .5" shank??

Thx,
Will

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] April 2nd 11 04:12 AM

Old B&D Router

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

b&d cat no 7614 Type 3, 1 1/2 hp 9a.
Appears that the collet will take 1/4" shank ONLY!!!

I think the 1.5 hp might be good for certain work with .5" shank bits.

Any way to get these to take .5" shank??

Safely? No. You may find an extension, but spinning at 18,000 RPM, I'm
not going to be in the same room with it. Get yourself a good router, like
Bosch, Porter Cable, etc.

Joe April 2nd 11 04:50 AM

Old B&D Router

On Apr 1, 9:24*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
b&d cat no 7614 Type 3, 1 1/2 hp 9a.
Appears that the collet will take 1/4" shank ONLY!!!

I think the 1.5 hp might be good for certain work with .5" shank bits.

Any way to get these to take .5" shank??

* Thx,
* Will

You can ask over at rec.woodworking, but they will likely tell you it
is not worth the risk.

Joe

[email protected] April 3rd 11 10:49 PM

Old B&D Router

Strictly guessing, you might check for a seperate collet designed for 1/2
inch shanks. A Portal Cable router I've used has seperate collet's for
each shank size, maybe that Black & Decker unit has the same.

Hul