Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you put a dimmer on rope lights?

Well? I'm going to put them on top of a shelf, between 1 x 6's to
illuminate my antique bottle collection from the bottom. Was just wondering
if a dimmer would work. It SHOULD.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 8:25*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Well? *I'm going to put them on top of a shelf, between 1 x 6's to
illuminate my antique bottle collection from the bottom. *Was just wondering
if a dimmer would work. *It SHOULD.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Yes. I have a rope light hooked up to a touch dimmer thing-a-ma-bob
so I'm not blinded at night. It works beautifully.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2011 11:25 AM, Steve B wrote:
Well? I'm going to put them on top of a shelf, between 1 x 6's to
illuminate my antique bottle collection from the bottom. Was just wondering
if a dimmer would work. It SHOULD.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Should work on most rope lights, however, LED ropes might cause
problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just to add to the conversation, I believe you can cut them to size
every 18 bulbs. I did that for my camper awning. I had a few extra
inches when done but it was better than having 5 extra feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

Well? I'm going to put them on top of a shelf, between 1 x 6's to
illuminate my antique bottle collection from the bottom. Was just wondering
if a dimmer would work. It SHOULD.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

A bottle collection? That's what you want to illuminate? I suggest
wrapping them around your girlfriend's legs for a little mood lighting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2011 11:25 AM, Steve B wrote:
Well? I'm going to put them on top of a shelf, between 1 x 6's to
illuminate my antique bottle collection from the bottom. Was just wondering
if a dimmer would work. It SHOULD.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

When renovating a bar my brother put rope lights around the underside of
it for mood lighting. They were too bright and he added a dimmer at
about half brightness. The bulbs have lasted over 20 years so far. Not
a single one burnt out.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message
Well? I'm going to put them on top of a shelf, between 1 x 6's to
illuminate my antique bottle collection from the bottom. Was just
wondering if a dimmer would work. It SHOULD.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

If it is a 12 volt string or a LED string dimming is a major problem,
however, if it is a 120 volt string, then dimming is easy with a standard
lamp dimmer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:36:43 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
Well? I'm going to put them on top of a shelf, between 1 x 6's to
illuminate my antique bottle collection from the bottom. Was just
wondering if a dimmer would work. It SHOULD.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

If it is a 12 volt string or a LED string dimming is a major problem,
however, if it is a 120 volt string, then dimming is easy with a standard
lamp dimmer.

And dimming with a 12 volt is no problem at all if you use the right
dimmer and it is a "magnetic" transformer. Dimming switch-mode, AKA
electronic transformers is a bit mor problematic (unless you have a
variable output "switcher"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
Well? I'm going to put them on top of a shelf, between 1 x 6's to
illuminate my antique bottle collection from the bottom. Was just
wondering if a dimmer would work. It SHOULD.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

If it is a 12 volt string or a LED string dimming is a major problem,
however, if it is a 120 volt string, then dimming is easy with a standard
lamp dimmer.

And dimming with a 12 volt is no problem at all if you use the right
dimmer and it is a "magnetic" transformer. Dimming switch-mode, AKA
electronic transformers is a bit mor problematic (unless you have a
variable output "switcher"

I have a friend who is a union electrician. He gets lots of "stuff", a lot
of it things that are designated for the dumpster.

When we built my MIL's casita, he brought a transformer the size of a shoe
box, and lines of connected lights. Musta cost a lot, and probably would be
hard to find. Anyway, we put them under and over her cabinets, and it
provides the nicest subtle lighting. It is dimmed, too.

I don't understand what it is, but he does, and I trust him to install.

He brought me 5 metal halide lights with transformers that they took off the
top of a hotel in Vegas. Absolutely makes night into day, and probably in
the $400 per copy range. Really lights up my shop and container area
without it being that harsh white sodium lighting.

And a huge frickin subpanel. And lots of other stuff. All destined for the
dumpster.

It's nice to have friend in the business.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Art Todesco, lawrence alimo wrote:
Where do I purchase a dimmer for led rope lights

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-626949-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 10:14:05 AM UTC-5, lawrence alimo wrote:
replying to Art Todesco, lawrence alimo wrote:
Where do I purchase a dimmer for led rope lights

eBay

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mike, andrea ordodi wrote:
What type dimmer did you use and where did you find it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-626949-.htm

Porch lights on dimmer? Mark Home Repair 9 December 16th 15 10:07 PM
Installing rope lights Ron Home Repair 4 April 4th 07 06:11 PM
Dimmer For LV Recessed Lights Dean Home Repair 3 August 4th 05 04:41 PM
Lights on Dimmer switch flicker from 2/3 to full [email protected] UK diy 5 March 18th 05 07:23 PM
Lights keep blowing the dimmer KS UK diy 23 March 5th 05 07:54 PM