Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Corrosion protection for terminals outdoors

For outdoor electrical equipment, such as outdoor condensing
units. Is there any corrosion protection to squirt into the
push on terminals? To keep the terminals clean, and keep
corrosion out?

I've heard of aluminum antioxidant "Noalox", or "Ox-Gard"
being used. Other options include Caig De-Oxit, or marine
grease.

A generation ago, we used to use axle grease on car battery
terminals. What works on push-on terminals?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
For outdoor electrical equipment, such as outdoor condensing
units. Is there any corrosion protection to squirt into the
push on terminals? To keep the terminals clean, and keep
corrosion out?

I've heard of aluminum antioxidant "Noalox", or "Ox-Gard"
being used. Other options include Caig De-Oxit, or marine
grease.

A generation ago, we used to use axle grease on car battery
terminals. What works on push-on terminals?

The same.
Just so long as it displaces air and moisture,
and does not degrade.
Silicon grease comes to mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/17/2011 08:28 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
For outdoor electrical equipment, such as outdoor condensing units. Is
there any corrosion protection to squirt into the push on terminals?
To keep the terminals clean, and keep corrosion out?

I've heard of aluminum antioxidant "Noalox", or "Ox-Gard" being used.
Other options include Caig De-Oxit, or marine grease.

A generation ago, we used to use axle grease on car battery terminals.
What works on push-on terminals?

The same.
Just so long as it displaces air and moisture,
and does not degrade.
Silicon grease comes to mind.

Dielectric grease would be the proper stuff, but I've used sil-glyde
(comes in a hugeass tube for the same price) without noticeable ill
effect. Not sure what the difference is, if any, besides cost.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, that sounds right. I've got some marine
axle grease, got a couple of 14 ounce "pound cans"
recently. Wonder if that's close enough?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel"
wrote in message ...

Dielectric grease would be the proper stuff, but I've used
sil-glyde
(comes in a hugeass tube for the same price) without
noticeable ill
effect. Not sure what the difference is, if any, besides
cost.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder where to find that?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sjouke Burry"
wrote in message

A generation ago, we used to use axle grease on car
battery
terminals. What works on push-on terminals?

The same.
Just so long as it displaces air and moisture,
and does not degrade.
Silicon grease comes to mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ebay item number
Item number: 110658962534

1/4 ounce tube for five bucks. A bit expensive, but is this
the stuff?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sjouke Burry"
wrote in message

A generation ago, we used to use axle grease on car
battery
terminals. What works on push-on terminals?

The same.
Just so long as it displaces air and moisture,
and does not degrade.
Silicon grease comes to mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
For outdoor electrical equipment, such as outdoor condensing
units. Is there any corrosion protection to squirt into the
push on terminals? To keep the terminals clean, and keep
corrosion out?

I've heard of aluminum antioxidant "Noalox", or "Ox-Gard"
being used. Other options include Caig De-Oxit, or marine
grease.

A generation ago, we used to use axle grease on car battery
terminals. What works on push-on terminals?

I've been using simple petroluem jelly on car battery terminals for years.
Does the job and is dirt cheap.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ebay item number
Item number: 110658962534

1/4 ounce tube for five bucks. A bit expensive, but is this
the stuff?

Dont know/use ebay, but silicon grease does not melt
when heated, and it hates water, just what the doctor orders.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does silicon grease char, instead of melt?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sjouke Burry"
wrote in message

Dont know/use ebay, but silicon grease does not melt
when heated, and it hates water, just what the doctor
orders.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure what temperatures are experienced, with my
application. The pet jelly may run off.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
For outdoor electrical equipment, such as outdoor
condensing
units. Is there any corrosion protection to squirt into
the
push on terminals? To keep the terminals clean, and keep
corrosion out?

I've heard of aluminum antioxidant "Noalox", or "Ox-Gard"
being used. Other options include Caig De-Oxit, or marine
grease.

A generation ago, we used to use axle grease on car
battery
terminals. What works on push-on terminals?

I've been using simple petroluem jelly on car battery
terminals for years.
Does the job and is dirt cheap.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Does silicon grease char, instead of melt?

turns into white powder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Stormin Mormon typed:
:: For outdoor electrical equipment, such as outdoor
:: condensing units. Is there any corrosion protection to
:: squirt into the push on terminals? To keep the terminals
:: clean, and keep corrosion out?
::
:: I've heard of aluminum antioxidant "Noalox", or "Ox-Gard"
:: being used. Other options include Caig De-Oxit, or marine
:: grease.
::
:: A generation ago, we used to use axle grease on car battery
:: terminals. What works on push-on terminals?
::
:: --
:: Christopher A. Young
:: Learn more about Jesus
:: www.lds.org
:: .

I use wheel bearing grease. Also works well on machinery batteries terminal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 8:18*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
For outdoor electrical equipment, such as outdoor condensing
units. Is there any corrosion protection to squirt into the
push on terminals? To keep the terminals clean, and keep
corrosion out?

I've heard of aluminum antioxidant "Noalox", or "Ox-Gard"
being used. Other options include Caig De-Oxit, or marine
grease.

A generation ago, we used to use axle grease on car battery
terminals. What works on push-on terminals?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

IVe been using DeOxit by Caig and it works great. Also found that
soldering the termials to the rivet on caps helps a heck of a lot. No
particular reason to reccomend De Oxit over axle grease except they
bought a case of it here at work so I threw a couple of bottles in my
toolbox .....Ive tried it and it works.

Jimmie