Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trapped water in pipe while soldering

Hi. This happened to me last year when it took me 3 separate tries,
each time resulting in a leaky soldered joint! The water in the pipe
obviously kept turning to steam and making the soldered joint leak.
On my last try, it finally took hold solidly. Someone suggested I use
bread, as it would temporarily stop the water and then dissolve/be
washed out. However, I was soldering the hot water pipes for my
heating system and didn't think it was a good idea to have bread
floating around in there indefinitely.

I'm now reading a how-to book that mentions a fix for soldering pipes
when water's still inside. It says to install a "bleed valve" or
"drain fitting" or "vent fitting." I have no idea what these words
refer to. Can anyone describe? or refer to an online photo?
Thanks!
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 11:53*pm, millinghill wrote:
Hi. *This happened to me last year when it took me 3 separate tries,
each time resulting in a leaky soldered joint! *The water in the pipe
obviously kept turning to steam and making the soldered joint leak.
On my last try, it finally took hold solidly. *Someone suggested I use
bread, as it would temporarily stop the water and then dissolve/be
washed out. *However, I was soldering the hot water pipes for my
heating system and didn't think it was a good idea to have bread
floating around in there indefinitely.

I'm now reading a how-to book that mentions a fix for soldering pipes
when water's still inside. *It says to install a "bleed valve" or
"drain fitting" or "vent fitting." *I have no idea what these words
refer to. *Can anyone describe? or refer to an online photo?

Google 'bleeder valve' and you'll get the idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:53:53 -0700 (PDT), millinghill
wrote:

Hi. This happened to me last year when it took me 3 separate tries,
each time resulting in a leaky soldered joint! The water in the pipe

I've read that MAPP gas is better than propane in this situtation.
Hotter.

obviously kept turning to steam and making the soldered joint leak.
On my last try, it finally took hold solidly. Someone suggested I use
bread, as it would temporarily stop the water and then dissolve/be
washed out. However, I was soldering the hot water pipes for my
heating system and didn't think it was a good idea to have bread
floating around in there indefinitely.

I used it for my water heater. Worked fine. Yes, that hot water
comes out the faucet.

I'm now reading a how-to book that mentions a fix for soldering pipes
when water's still inside. It says to install a "bleed valve" or
"drain fitting" or "vent fitting." I have no idea what these words
refer to. Can anyone describe? or refer to an online photo?
Thanks!
Theodore

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 3:53*am, millinghill wrote:
Hi. *This happened to me last year when it took me 3 separate tries,
each time resulting in a leaky soldered joint! *The water in the pipe
obviously kept turning to steam and making the soldered joint leak.
On my last try, it finally took hold solidly. *Someone suggested I use
bread, as it would temporarily stop the water and then dissolve/be
washed out. *However, I was soldering the hot water pipes for my
heating system and didn't think it was a good idea to have bread
floating around in there indefinitely.

I'm now reading a how-to book that mentions a fix for soldering pipes
when water's still inside. *It says to install a "bleed valve" or
"drain fitting" or "vent fitting." *I have no idea what these words
refer to. *Can anyone describe? or refer to an online photo?
Thanks!
Theodore

When there's water about the best thing you can do is use compression
or push in fittings. Even if it's just the one to make the last
connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2011 11:53 PM, millinghill wrote:
Hi. This happened to me last year when it took me 3 separate tries,
each time resulting in a leaky soldered joint! The water in the pipe
obviously kept turning to steam and making the soldered joint leak.
On my last try, it finally took hold solidly. Someone suggested I use
bread, as it would temporarily stop the water and then dissolve/be
washed out. However, I was soldering the hot water pipes for my
heating system and didn't think it was a good idea to have bread
floating around in there indefinitely.

I'm now reading a how-to book that mentions a fix for soldering pipes
when water's still inside. It says to install a "bleed valve" or
"drain fitting" or "vent fitting." I have no idea what these words
refer to. Can anyone describe? or refer to an online photo?
Thanks!
Theodore

Of course, a lot depends on the layout of the pipes, but I've used a
wet pickup vacuum on one side or the other of where you are
soldering. A good place to hook up the vacuum is on a faucet, which
is opened to the side, hot or cold, where you are working. I've had
success with this method when nothing else seemed to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 7:58*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 3/15/2011 11:53 PM, millinghill wrote: Hi. *This happened to me last year when it took me 3 separate tries,
[...]

This guy talks about a heating system, not hot water supply, but a
small piece of plastic tubing inserted into the pipe and suction
applied should be eventually able to suck out the water. May take a
while, but the alternative is a good wheat bread that blocks the pipe
just long enuf to do the soldering.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 6:57*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

just long enuf to do the soldering.- Hide quoted text -

Yep, some things are just too simple be accepted. Much better to way
over engineer the project

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found that very often, the country wisdom
(like bread in the copper pipe) is what actually
works.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K"
wrote in message

Yep, some things are just too simple be accepted.
Much better to way over engineer the project

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Harry K" *wrote in message

Yep, some things are just too simple be accepted.
Much better to way over engineer the project

Harry K

Yes, stuff bread in the pipe. When you are done, remove the aerater
from a downline faucet, turn it on, before you turn the water main
back on. Otherwise you will be cleaning bread out of every faucet you
have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2011 10:53 PM, millinghill wrote:
Hi. This happened to me last year when it took me 3 separate tries,
each time resulting in a leaky soldered joint! The water in the pipe
obviously kept turning to steam and making the soldered joint leak.
On my last try, it finally took hold solidly. Someone suggested I use
bread, as it would temporarily stop the water and then dissolve/be
washed out. However, I was soldering the hot water pipes for my
heating system and didn't think it was a good idea to have bread
floating around in there indefinitely.

I'm now reading a how-to book that mentions a fix for soldering pipes
when water's still inside. It says to install a "bleed valve" or
"drain fitting" or "vent fitting." I have no idea what these words
refer to. Can anyone describe? or refer to an online photo?
Thanks!
Theodore

OR you might want to google "PEX TUBING"

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote in
:

"Harry K" *wrote in message

Yep, some things are just too simple be accepted.
Much better to way over engineer the project

Harry K

Yes, stuff bread in the pipe. When you are done, remove the aerater
from a downline faucet, turn it on, before you turn the water main
back on. Otherwise you will be cleaning bread out of every faucet you
have.

and/or replacing toilet fill valves cause it drips ever 30 seconds now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course, a lot depends on the layout of the pipes, but I've used a
wet pickup vacuum on one side or the other of where you are
soldering. A good place to hook up the vacuum is on a faucet, which
is opened to the side, hot or cold, where you are working. I've had
success with this method when nothing else seemed to work.

This guy talks about a heating system, not hot water supply, but a
small piece of plastic tubing inserted into the pipe and suction
applied should be eventually able to suck out the water. May take a
while, but the alternative is a good wheat bread that blocks the pipe
just long enuf to do the soldering.

Also, most hot water systems have some sort of a drain, where
suction could be applied.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

Yep, some things are just too simple be accepted.
Much better to way over engineer the project

Harry K

Yes, stuff bread in the pipe. *When you are done, remove the aerater
from a downline faucet, turn it on, before you turn the water main
back on. *Otherwise you will be cleaning bread out of every faucet you
have.

and/or replacing toilet fill valves cause it drips ever 30 seconds now.- Hide quoted text -

Oddly, the times I have used it (without doing the 'one open faucet'
bit), _none_ of those things happened. The bread desolves to the
point it passes through the screens.

I wonder how many of you "doom criers" have actually done it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Ive drilled a hole in the pipe before to let out the water/steam then
patched it when I was through sweating the pipe fitting. This would
probably do the same as the bleeder valve and be a lot cheaper.
Heating up a couple of feet of pipe either side the joint to dry it
out also helps.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi. *This happened to me last year when it took me 3 separate tries,
each time resulting in a leaky soldered joint! *The water in the pipe
obviously kept turning to steam and making the soldered joint leak.
On my last try, it finally took hold solidly. *Someone suggested I use
bread, as it would temporarily stop the water and then dissolve/be
washed out. *However, I was soldering the hot water pipes for my
heating system and didn't think it was a good idea to have bread
floating around in there indefinitely.

I'm now reading a how-to book that mentions a fix for soldering pipes
when water's still inside. *It says to install a "bleed valve" or
"drain fitting" or "vent fitting." *I have no idea what these words
refer to. *Can anyone describe? or refer to an online photo?
Thanks!
Theodore

Loosen pipe straps. lower pipe till all water comes out, or raise
pipes so the water is not near the solder joint. *
OR
Solder in a CU pipe union. *Only solder half at a time, then screw it
together.- Hide quoted text -

That doesn't always work. When you're at the bottom of a lot of
piping the water keeps showing up for hours. All it takes is a lttle
trickle to cause problems. It cools the pipe and it creates pressure
when it boils off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

when it boils off.- Hide quoted text -

Or just do the simple thing that plumbers have done for a 100 years.
Plug it with bread and be done with it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Harry K wrote:

Or just do the simple thing that plumbers have done for a 100 years.
Plug it with bread and be done with it.

Make sure you use the stuff with raisins and sunflower seeds in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I don't know how many fittings you need to install where the water is
an issue, but consider a Sharkbite connector.

http://www.sharkbite.com/

More expensive, but think about how much time you've already wasted.
Available just about anywhere plumbing supplies are sold.

I was sweating a cap on a piece of horizontal pipe that apparently had
some water in it. At the exact moment that the solder started to flow
the cap shot off the end of the pipe and flew like a bullet across the
basement.

The next time I needed to cap a pipe, I used a Sharkbite cap. I had
the water off, the pipe cut, the Sharkbite cap installed and the water
back on before the commercial was over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Go to Lows and buy the stuff that does the same thing. I think it's the
same as the corn starch packing peanuts that dissolve in water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote in news:8unrt8Fhn2U1
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

Can you post a link to that stuff Tony? Just curious to see it's
description.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2011 9:52 AM, Red Green wrote:
Tony wrote in news:8unrt8Fhn2U1
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

A quick look doesn't find it because I don't remember the name of it.
Next time I'm there I'll see if it's still on the shelf.