Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing a Xantrex 600HD Powerpack--The Tricky Handle

My battery is pretty well shot, but when I contacted Xantrex tech last
week, the tech said it could be taken apart. It's all in a nice orange
enclosure with a handle, light, radio, and so on. He said the tricky
part is getting the handle separated. I took it to a battery shop in
town, and indeed they were stumped by the handle problem, but didn't
force it.

Has anyone here had experience doing this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"W. eWatson" wrote:

My battery is pretty well shot, but when I contacted Xantrex tech last
week, the tech said it could be taken apart. It's all in a nice orange
enclosure with a handle, light, radio, and so on. He said the tricky
part is getting the handle separated. I took it to a battery shop in
town, and indeed they were stumped by the handle problem, but didn't
force it.

Has anyone here had experience doing this?

You were just talking to a Xantrex tech, who said the handle was
"tricky," but rather than asking him for details on how to crack it you
just hung up and thought you'd ask your homies on a.h.r? That's weird.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2011 6:22 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
"W. wrote:

My battery is pretty well shot, but when I contacted Xantrex tech last
week, the tech said it could be taken apart. It's all in a nice orange
enclosure with a handle, light, radio, and so on. He said the tricky
part is getting the handle separated. I took it to a battery shop in
town, and indeed they were stumped by the handle problem, but didn't
force it.

Has anyone here had experience doing this?

You were just talking to a Xantrex tech, who said the handle was
"tricky," but rather than asking him for details on how to crack it you
just hung up and thought you'd ask your homies on a.h.r? That's weird.

That is not at all what happened. He would go no further than the tip he
gave me. Further, when I called back, I got another tech, and he
wouldn't, politely, give me any help.

I worked a ham forum on this, and almost everyone agrees that Xantrex
doesn't want anyone to know. They want you to purchase another one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The web page I found, says the list price about $130.

http://www.laaudiofile.com/duracell_...ack_600hd.html
What was the cost of the replacement battery? From the
picture, it looks like you'd remove several screws, and the
two sides of the plastic shell would come apart.

I had a similar moment with a Winchester Sport Pac. I called
the place in Ohio, and find out they had a load of dead
batteries they bought. They were very nice about selling me
a replacement battery, which is still in use.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"W. eWatson"
wrote in message

I worked a ham forum on this, and almost everyone agrees
that Xantrex
doesn't want anyone to know. They want you to purchase
another one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2011 4:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The web page I found, says the list price about $130.

http://www.laaudiofile.com/duracell_...ack_600hd.html
What was the cost of the replacement battery? From the
picture, it looks like you'd remove several screws, and the
two sides of the plastic shell would come apart.

I had a similar moment with a Winchester Sport Pac. I called
the place in Ohio, and find out they had a load of dead
batteries they bought. They were very nice about selling me
a replacement battery, which is still in use.

I think it was something like $60.00. I'm pretty sure the Amazon price
includes free shipping, which could be considerable.

BTW, the reason I posted here, as well as two electronics NGs, is this
NG probably has a wider range of consumers.

"There is not enough goodness and love in the world to
be wasted on imaginary objects." --Nietzsche

Posted to alt.home.repair

That beats $130 for buying the whole unit. You did
accomplish some, you found a fellow who's rebuilt a
Winchester Sport Pac. That's something. I've got no
experience with the jumper pack you have. Wish I did, I'd be
sure to share what I know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"W. eWatson"
wrote in message

I think it was something like $60.00. I'm pretty sure the
Amazon price
includes free shipping, which could be considerable.

BTW, the reason I posted here, as well as two electronics
NGs, is this
NG probably has a wider range of consumers.

"There is not enough goodness and love in the
world to
be wasted on imaginary objects." --Nietzsche

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 7, 2011 6:02:51 PM UTC-8, W. eWatson wrote:
My battery is pretty well shot, but when I contacted Xantrex tech last
week, the tech said it could be taken apart. It's all in a nice orange
enclosure with a handle, light, radio, and so on. He said the tricky
part is getting the handle separated. I took it to a battery shop in
town, and indeed they were stumped by the handle problem, but didn't
force it.

Has anyone here had experience doing this?

I just replaced a battery in one two weeks ago. I wrote up some instructions and took step-by-step pictures too. The handle part is easy once you see how it goes. I even included several battery cross reference numbers too. It's all posted at this forum:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=284264

You might have to become a forum member to see the pictures though.