Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default sunroom roof

i would like to beef up the insulation on our sunroom ceiling and i
thought that a layer of rigid foam board with some half inch plywood and
shingles on top off that would do the trick as well as somewhat
soundproofing the room from rainstorms that can be deafening. the
ceiling(interior and exterior) is a thin gauge aluminum and i am not
sure how to attach the foam board/plywood to it. what type of fastener
would work best or combination of fastener and adhesive...i am thinking
of a fine thread type of sheetmetal screw might work.
thanks, cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2011 9:16 AM, cj wrote:
i would like to beef up the insulation on our sunroom ceiling and i
thought that a layer of rigid foam board with some half inch plywood and
shingles on top off that would do the trick as well as somewhat
soundproofing the room from rainstorms that can be deafening. the
ceiling(interior and exterior) is a thin gauge aluminum and i am not
sure how to attach the foam board/plywood to it. what type of fastener
would work best or combination of fastener and adhesive...i am thinking
of a fine thread type of sheetmetal screw might work.
thanks, cj

Based on sunrooms and metal porch roofs I have seen, with undersized C
or H channel rafters and purlins on 24" or 36" centers, I suspect what
you propose would likely exceed the load capacity of the existing roof
structure. (Especially if it snows where you are, and you get a heavy
snowfall.) The foam is light, but plywood and shingles add up fast. Plus
of course your weight as you are installing it. You could fit foamboard
panels to the inside, and cover them with those plastic-coated faux
beadboard sheets, or maybe plastic soffit panels, if you can find stock
long enough. That wouldn't weigh much. The dead space might create
condensation issues, though, so you would have to find some way to keep
air flowing through there, with screens to keep mice and bugs from
moving in.

No disrespect, but you seem to be over your head, and we can't see your
sunroom from here. Suggest getting local sunroom and awning dealers to
stop by and discuss possible options. They may even have
insulation/dress-up panels in their catalog.

I'd LOVE to have a tin-roof porch or sunroom, for summer thunderstorms.
I find the sound soothing.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2011 9:16 AM, cj wrote:
i would like to beef up the insulation on our sunroom ceiling and i
thought that a layer of rigid foam board with some half inch plywood and
shingles on top off that would do the trick as well as somewhat
soundproofing the room from rainstorms that can be deafening. the
ceiling(interior and exterior) is a thin gauge aluminum and i am not
sure how to attach the foam board/plywood to it. what type of fastener
would work best or combination of fastener and adhesive...i am thinking
of a fine thread type of sheetmetal screw might work.

What do you use your sunroom for? What kind of windows are in there?

A lot of people turn porches and sunrooms into additional living space
that can be used any time. But having a sun room that works for it's
intended purpose is a joy. Which is it?

I wouldn't add anything on top of what you have. Either rip it all down
and rebuild it as regular roof, or learn to love your metal roof and
possibly add insulation underneath with construction adhesive. Adding
insulation will do little for your noise considerations.

Jeff

thanks, cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

On 2/20/2011 10:43 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 2/20/2011 9:16 AM, cj wrote:
[...]

the sunroom is our living room, giving us an excellent view outback to
the woods. i have an open floor plan and the poorly insulated sunroom
really adds to our winter heating bill. we saw the original bill of sale
for the sunroom and for what the previous owner paid he could have built
the same room with all the windows ,patio door and regular stick
construction for much less. adding some rigid foamboard, particle board
and shingles would damper the sound of a summer downpour, as it is now
you have to practically yell to be heard and in the fall acorns dropping
from 30 feet up sound like gunshot in the house

cj
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On 2/20/2011 9:16 AM, cj wrote:
[...]

Be a friend and send aemeijers a DVD/CD/Tape/whatever of the racket
your hear next time you have a summer thunderstorm occur. If that
turns out well, maybe you could market the recording and build up
funds enough for a sunroom replacement someday. just sayin'...

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to cj, Sarah wrote:
I know exactly what you are talking about. We bought our home last summer &
soon learned of the ridiculous noise that comes from this addition during a
summer rain shower & the poor insulation in the winter. But the previous owner
sunk over $100k into this room. There's no tearing it down & starting over.
More like "buyer beware" to those looking to add on a nice 4 season or sunroom.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...of-622260-.htm