Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice Dam Prevention

Hi,

Our annual problem with ice dams has outdone itself this year.
They are doing damage when they fall and I am afraid someone
could get hurt. I added insulation in the attic. They form
before I can take the roof rake to them and that only reaches a
part of the roof anyway. We have a cape so there is no easy way
to add insulation to the lower roof. We did not have this
problem for the first 15-20 years.

The remaining things I've seen are zig-zagged heating wires and
metal panels at the edge of the roof. Does anyway have opinions
on those or other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 10:49*pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

Our annual problem with ice dams has outdone itself this year.
They are doing damage when they fall and I am afraid someone
could get hurt. *I added insulation in the attic. *They form
before I can take the roof rake to them and that only reaches a
part of the roof anyway. *We have a cape so there is no easy way
to add insulation to the lower roof. *We did not have this
problem for the first 15-20 years.

The remaining things I've seen are zig-zagged heating wires and
metal panels at the edge of the roof. *Does anyway have opinions
on those or other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

I have used the ice melt cable for years. They work.

I've had ice dam problems that included water infiltration requiring
tarps and buckets on all three floors. Once I put the wires up, I
barely get any ice buildup.

I wired 2 dedicated exterior outlets (for the front and rear of the
house) to a GFCI breaker and put a switch with a indicator light in
the basement so I can tell if the wires are on from a distance.

They make automatic controllers, but I never took that step.

The downside? They make cleaner the gutters, something I have to do
three times year, a bit of a pain. Considering the alternative, I'll
live with that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 3:49*am, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

Our annual problem with ice dams has outdone itself this year.
They are doing damage when they fall and I am afraid someone
could get hurt. *I added insulation in the attic. *They form
before I can take the roof rake to them and that only reaches a
part of the roof anyway. *We have a cape so there is no easy way
to add insulation to the lower roof. *We did not have this
problem for the first 15-20 years.

The remaining things I've seen are zig-zagged heating wires and
metal panels at the edge of the roof. *Does anyway have opinions
on those or other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

Lots of links from he-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_dam...s_of_buildings
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the insulation is on the attic floor, put in some vents.
So that the air under the roof is colder. That's the other
ingredient. Insulation, and venting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Our annual problem with ice dams has outdone itself this
year.
They are doing damage when they fall and I am afraid someone
could get hurt. I added insulation in the attic. They form
before I can take the roof rake to them and that only
reaches a
part of the roof anyway. We have a cape so there is no easy
way
to add insulation to the lower roof. We did not have this
problem for the first 15-20 years.

The remaining things I've seen are zig-zagged heating wires
and
metal panels at the edge of the roof. Does anyway have
opinions
on those or other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 2/18/2011 9:49 PM, Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

Our annual problem with ice dams has outdone itself this year.
They are doing damage when they fall and I am afraid someone
could get hurt. I added insulation in the attic. They form
before I can take the roof rake to them and that only reaches a
part of the roof anyway. We have a cape so there is no easy way
to add insulation to the lower roof. We did not have this
problem for the first 15-20 years.

The remaining things I've seen are zig-zagged heating wires and
metal panels at the edge of the roof. Does anyway have opinions
on those or other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

My house is new. It is very well insulated and the attic is very well
ventilated. In the summer the attic does not get hot, in the winter
the attic stays cold enough not to melt the snow on the roof above it.
When the outside temperature warms up enough to melt the snow on the
roof the entire roof surface is warm and water runs off the roof
instead of freezing above the soffits which in your case are much
colder than the roof above the attic space.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

Our annual problem with ice dams has outdone itself this year.
They are doing damage when they fall and I am afraid someone
could get hurt. I added insulation in the attic. They form
before I can take the roof rake to them and that only reaches a
part of the roof anyway. We have a cape so there is no easy way
to add insulation to the lower roof. We did not have this
problem for the first 15-20 years.

The remaining things I've seen are zig-zagged heating wires and
metal panels at the edge of the roof. Does anyway have opinions
on those or other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

I had a standing seam metal roof put on. Snow slides right off.

--
LSMFT

Force ****s upon the Back of Reason...
Ben Franklin-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 9:49*pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

Our annual problem with ice dams has outdone itself this year.
They are doing damage when they fall and I am afraid someone
could get hurt. *I added insulation in the attic. *They form
before I can take the roof rake to them and that only reaches a
part of the roof anyway. *We have a cape so there is no easy way
to add insulation to the lower roof. *We did not have this
problem for the first 15-20 years.

The remaining things I've seen are zig-zagged heating wires and
metal panels at the edge of the roof. *Does anyway have opinions
on those or other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

Maybe the attic isnt vented enough to keep it to outside temps

O.T. flu prevention 1 who waits Home Ownership 1 May 1st 09 02:42 AM
Help with theft prevention SantaUK UK diy 51 May 6th 08 10:17 PM
Fire Prevention SteveF Metalworking 9 January 20th 06 06:48 AM
Tub clogged again, need prevention. Sam Nickaby Home Repair 8 December 27th 05 01:00 PM
Ice Dam Prevention Gary Brown Home Repair 4 September 7th 05 06:27 PM