DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Buying a used air compressor: tips? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/318409-buying-used-air-compressor-tips.html)

Jonathan Sachs[_3_] February 7th 11 06:14 AM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

I'm thinking about buying a used electric air compressor for light use
around the house.

I've owned a compressor before, but I've never bought a used one
before. What should I watch out for, apart from the obvious points of
avoiding anything that doesn't work or is heavily worn or visibly
damaged?

Roy February 7th 11 07:09 AM

On Feb 6, 11:14*pm, Jonathan Sachs wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a used electric air compressor for light use
around the house.

I've owned a compressor before, but I've never bought a used one
before. What should I watch out for, apart from the obvious points of
avoiding anything that doesn't work or is heavily worn or visibly
damaged?

==
I've seen new light duty ones made in China for $88 with 25 foot hose
and various attachments. If you're not in a hurry watch the ads. New
at that price complete with hose is a better deal than used.
==

Nate Nagel February 7th 11 07:33 AM

On 02/07/2011 02:09 AM, Roy wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:14 pm, Jonathan wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a used electric air compressor for light use
around the house.

I've owned a compressor before, but I've never bought a used one
before. What should I watch out for, apart from the obvious points of
avoiding anything that doesn't work or is heavily worn or visibly
damaged?

==
I've seen new light duty ones made in China for $88 with 25 foot hose
and various attachments. If you're not in a hurry watch the ads. New
at that price complete with hose is a better deal than used.
==

Only if he really is planning on "light" use as he says.

otherwise I would hold out for a quality one with a compressor built
like a car engine, not one of those loud "oilless" things

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

George February 7th 11 01:02 PM

On 2/7/2011 2:09 AM, Roy wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:14 pm, Jonathan wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a used electric air compressor for light use
around the house.

I've owned a compressor before, but I've never bought a used one
before. What should I watch out for, apart from the obvious points of
avoiding anything that doesn't work or is heavily worn or visibly
damaged?

==
I've seen new light duty ones made in China for $88 with 25 foot hose
and various attachments. If you're not in a hurry watch the ads. New
at that price complete with hose is a better deal than used.
==

Depends what a "better deal" means. I would prefer to have a quality
used device over a cheaply made new one.

Steve B[_10_] February 7th 11 04:31 PM

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message
I'm thinking about buying a used electric air compressor for light use
around the house.

I've owned a compressor before, but I've never bought a used one
before. What should I watch out for, apart from the obvious points of
avoiding anything that doesn't work or is heavily worn or visibly
damaged?

You can get some good deals at pawn shops. Buy a brand name, and buy one
that looks clean, that's about all I can suggest. If you're just going to
use it for nailers, etc, you don't need much, and as long as it will build
up pressure, and doesn't leak, there isn't much else. Take a bottle of
Windex, and pressure it up, and test for leaks. Open up the bleeder valve
on the bottom once it's pressured up, and see if any water comes out. If it
does, pass. It means the owner hasn't bled it regularly, and there will be
water and rust inside the tank.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
Download the book.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Steve B[_10_] February 7th 11 04:32 PM

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Those loud ones are about as obnoxious as a bitchy loud woman. But they're
about all you can get now for the light ones.

Steve B[_10_] February 7th 11 04:33 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

"George" wrote

Depends what a "better deal" means. I would prefer to have a quality used
device over a cheaply made new one.

Deal means cost divided by years owned. Some of the old ones have more life
left on them than the brand new cheesy ones.

Steve B[_10_] February 7th 11 04:37 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

wrote

You really need to figure out what you will do with it to know what
size you need. Just about anything will air up tires. Once you get
into air tools, you need a big enough compressor to run them. Nail
guns and such need 100 PSI or so but they don't need a lot of volume.
Painting, OTOH usually needs a lot of volume. Things like air chisels
are also air hogs.

Lots of tires today take more than the 32 psi than our father's cars and the
ones we drove in our teenagerhood.
But yeah, most compressors will put enough air in them to get to the tire
store even if they do have to work a while. And anything will blow up
bikes, motorcycles, those temporary plastic dates, etc.

Jonathan Sachs[_3_] February 7th 11 05:00 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 08:02:40 -0500, George
wrote:

Depends what a "better deal" means. I would prefer to have a quality
used device over a cheaply made new one.

My feelings exactly. For my intended uses I could probably get away
with an $88 piece of junk, but I prefer to buy good tools and keep
them as long as I need them.

"Measure twice, buy once."

Smitty Two February 7th 11 05:10 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

wrote:

Depends what a "better deal" means. I would prefer to have a quality
used device over a cheaply made new one.

My feelings exactly. For my intended uses I could probably get away
with an $88 piece of junk, but I prefer to buy good tools and keep
them as long as I need them.

"Measure twice, buy once."

Whenever I buy anything used, the most important thing I look for is the
character of the seller. I walked away from a fantastic deal on a great
truck recently, because something just didn't smell right. Everything
looked good and sounded good, but under the surface was something fishy.

I'd by a used compressor from a one-man shop where the owner was
retiring. Other than that, most people wouldn't sell a good compressor,
because most people don't sell serviceable tools just to buy a new one.

Jon Danniken[_4_] February 7th 11 07:06 PM

Smitty Two wrote:
Other than that, most people wouldn't sell a good
compressor, because most people don't sell serviceable tools just to
buy a new one.

Nonsense. The guy I bought my compressor from sold it to me because he
wanted a bigger compressor (bigger tank/more air output). I got a good deal
on it because the regulator was busted, which was no big deal to me (I used
the regulator I had purchased for my previous compressor).

Like the fellow that I purchased my current compressor from, I sold my
smaller compressor because it failed to deliver the output that I needed.

Some tools are sold because the owner grew out of them: it's the same deal
with my drill press, too; I sold the little one once I bought a bigger one,
and didn't have the need or space to keep the old one around.

Jon

Jon Danniken[_4_] February 7th 11 07:06 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

wrote:
If it is 120v it will not be more than 1HP.

Nonsense. My compressor (Ciasons Industrial) came with a Magnetek/Century
motor on it, rated 3HP SPL, 115V/15A. It will also run configured as
230V/7.5A, but it came to me wired for 115, and that's the way I've been
using it since I purchased it a few years ago.

Jon

Tony Miklos[_2_] February 7th 11 08:56 PM

On 2/7/2011 2:06 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:
If it is 120v it will not be more than 1HP.

Nonsense. My compressor (Ciasons Industrial) came with a Magnetek/Century
motor on it, rated 3HP SPL, 115V/15A. It will also run configured as
230V/7.5A, but it came to me wired for 115, and that's the way I've been
using it since I purchased it a few years ago.

Jon

Your motor is rated wrong. Some call it "peak horsepower". A real 3HP
motor at 115VAC will draw 19.46 amps.

I have a ~ 35 year old 1HP Sears compressor. I also have a "2HP"
craftsman compressor (someone gave it to me). The older 1HP one puts
out over 2 times the CFM than the newer 2HP one. Forget the motor
rating, the CFM is what matters.

Tony Miklos[_2_] February 7th 11 08:58 PM

On 2/7/2011 1:14 AM, Jonathan Sachs wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a used electric air compressor for light use
around the house.

I've owned a compressor before, but I've never bought a used one
before. What should I watch out for, apart from the obvious points of
avoiding anything that doesn't work or is heavily worn or visibly
damaged?

Do not buy an "oilless" piece of crap. Go for a belt driven compressor
that does require oil.

Stormin Mormon February 7th 11 09:12 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

My oilless compressor was $40 at HF, and has
served me well for a year or more, now. For
some purposes, they are fine. Mine has aired
up lots of tires, blown dust out of condensors,
and done some occasional air tool work.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

DGDevin February 7th 11 09:12 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message

I'm thinking about buying a used electric air compressor for light use
around the house.

Considering your requirements you could easily find a new compressor for so
cheap that looking for a used one almost seems pointless. Keep an eye on
Harbor Freight ads, they have little pancake compressors for fifty or sixty
bucks quite often.

Jon Danniken[_4_] February 7th 11 09:13 PM

Tony Miklos wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:

If it is 120v it will not be more than 1HP.

Nonsense. My compressor (Ciasons Industrial) came with a
Magnetek/Century motor on it, rated 3HP SPL, 115V/15A. It will also
run configured as 230V/7.5A, but it came to me wired for 115, and
that's the way I've been using it since I purchased it a few years
ago.

Your motor is rated wrong. Some call it "peak horsepower". A real
3HP motor at 115VAC will draw 19.46 amps.

No, the motor is rated correctly; your confusion arises because you do not
understand the nomenclature used on electric motors. especially those used
on air compressors. As I stated previously, the motor is a 3HP SPL, and is
rated 15 amps at 115 volts. 15 amps at 115 volts is 1725VA, or 2.3HP
continuous duty.

Because this is a compressor, the 3HP SPL refers to the fact that the motor
will safely deliver 3HP during an overload condition when it called on,
namely for the last few minutes of filling the tank up.

Jon

Stormin Mormon February 7th 11 09:21 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

I've got one of these, and it serves me well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html
It's good for tires. Or blowing dust out of condensors. A
bit slow for air tools. Watch the sale ads, sometimes down
to $40 I think.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Jon Danniken[_4_] February 7th 11 09:22 PM

wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:

If it is 120v it will not be more than 1HP.

Nonsense. My compressor (Ciasons Industrial) came with a
Magnetek/Century motor on it, rated 3HP SPL, 115V/15A. It will also
run configured as 230V/7.5A, but it came to me wired for 115, and
that's the way I've been using it since I purchased it a few years
ago.

Jon

Look around, that may have been in the class action suit.

No, it is still a current model, and there is no inaccuracy with the way it
is being marketed or sold. Perhaps you might want to learn more about
motors before you spout off about things you do not fully understand.

Jon

N8N February 7th 11 09:49 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

On Feb 7, 4:22*pm, "Jon Danniken"
Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:

*If it is 120v it will not be more than 1HP.

Nonsense. *My compressor (Ciasons Industrial) came with a
Magnetek/Century motor on it, rated 3HP SPL, 115V/15A. *It will also
run configured as 230V/7.5A, but it came to me wired for 115, and
that's the way I've been using it since I purchased it a few years
ago.

Jon

Look around, that may have been in the class action suit.

No, it is still a current model, and there is no inaccuracy with the way it
is being marketed or sold. *Perhaps you might want to learn more about
motors before you spout off about things you do not fully understand.

Jon

one horsepower *is equivalent to* 746W. (both HP and Watts are units
of power, just in different measurement systems.) Therefore a 3HP
motor, if 100% efficient, would draw 2238W or 19.46A @ 115V. IRL it
would either draw slightly more, or put out slightly less than 3HP.
Pesky laws of thermodynamics.

a 15A circuit by definition cannot provide more than 1725W @ 115V, and
it would be a bad practice to expect it to do so. A load that large
should really be connected to a 20A or larger circuit.

nate

Jon Danniken[_4_] February 7th 11 10:18 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

N8N wrote:
On Feb 7, 4:22 pm, "Jon Danniken"
Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Not entirely correct, but you are confused enough already, so we can just
call that good enough for now. The important point is that the motor is not
rated as a 3HP motor, but instead, as I have already stated a half-dozen
times in this thread, a 3HP SPL motor.

a 15A circuit by definition cannot provide more than 1725W @ 115V, and
it would be a bad practice to expect it to do so. A load that large
should really be connected to a 20A or larger circuit.

And it is, of course.

I think the main issue here is not so much the way that motors are rated,
but at the reluctance of a typical end user educate himself beyond his
ignorance.

Jon

Frank[_13_] February 7th 11 10:53 PM

On 2/7/2011 4:12 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My oilless compressor was $40 at HF, and has
served me well for a year or more, now. For
some purposes, they are fine. Mine has aired
up lots of tires, blown dust out of condensors,
and done some occasional air tool work.

Good to hear. I had just bought one at HF. Little irritated that
salesman said it was all I needed for inflating tires but when home and
opened, there was no tubing or attachments so I bought a set at HD for
about $17. Still a good deal and appears to work fine.

Also finally got my free HF flashlight. Much brighter than I expected.

Frank[_13_] February 7th 11 10:57 PM

On 2/7/2011 4:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got one of these, and it serves me well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html
It's good for tires. Or blowing dust out of condensors. A
bit slow for air tools. Watch the sale ads, sometimes down
to $40 I think.

That was the exact one I got with coupon - $39.99.

N8N February 7th 11 11:51 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

On Feb 7, 5:18*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Feb 7, 4:22 pm, "Jon Danniken"
Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Which is clearly marketing BS. I don't know or care what "SPL" means
nor is a web search much help (other than some suggestions by forum
posters that it stands for "Special" or "Split Phase" the latter of
which is clearly false.) What is important to me is what the full
load but running power of a motor is. Or in this context, really,
what the compressor as a whole's max CFM is at what PSI.

a 15A circuit by definition cannot provide more than 1725W @ 115V, and
it would be a bad practice to expect it to do so. *A load that large
should really be connected to a 20A or larger circuit.

And it is, of course.

I think the main issue here is not so much the way that motors are rated,
but at the reluctance of a typical end user educate himself beyond his
ignorance.

I know enough to know that I take any electric motor's "HP" ratings
with a grain of salt and look at amp draw and in the context of an air
compressor, CFM@PSI instead when trying to compare.

nate

Steve B[_10_] February 8th 11 01:23 AM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

"N8N" wrote

I know enough to know that I take any electric motor's "HP" ratings
with a grain of salt and look at amp draw and in the context of an air
compressor, CFM@PSI instead when trying to compare.

nate

And I believe none of what I hear and half of what I see when it comes to hp
and cfm ratings on compressors. I tend to overbuy on everything, figuring
I'll take it to burnout mode at least once. That's when you see how it
really runs with the tool you want to use. And sometimes, you have to
compromise and let it get a full tank to work that half inch impact to get
those lug nuts off. And it won't run some other heavy demand air tools.
But unless you are making money with it, you can live with it. I got a
stand up 33 gallon tank 2 hp (IIRC) Husky, and it does all I want it to,
although sometimes I have to wait for it to catch up. If it was costing me
money, I'd go get one of those honking tall as I am two stage brand name

Smitty Two February 8th 11 02:15 AM

"Jon Danniken" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
Other than that, most people wouldn't sell a good
compressor, because most people don't sell serviceable tools just to
buy a new one.

Nonsense. The guy I bought my compressor from sold it to me because he
wanted a bigger compressor (bigger tank/more air output). I got a good deal
on it because the regulator was busted, which was no big deal to me (I used
the regulator I had purchased for my previous compressor).

Like the fellow that I purchased my current compressor from, I sold my
smaller compressor because it failed to deliver the output that I needed.

Some tools are sold because the owner grew out of them: it's the same deal
with my drill press, too; I sold the little one once I bought a bigger one,
and didn't have the need or space to keep the old one around.

Jon

Air compressors, like chain saws, are almost always viciously abused. My
shop neighbor runs his 24/7 (as required by demand including system
leaks) and I doubt he's ever changed the oil in it. That's typical. I'm
glad you're happy with your purchase.

Smitty Two February 8th 11 02:18 AM

Tony Miklos wrote:

Do not buy an "oilless" piece of crap.

And do not buy an oiled piece of crap. "Oilless" and "piece of crap" are
*not* synonymous. My oil free compressor was about $600, and I love it.
It's also very quiet, BTW.

Jonathan Sachs[_3_] February 8th 11 02:20 AM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 10:56:41 -0500, wrote:

You really need to figure out what you will do with it...

I asked about how to choose a reliable used compressor, not how to
select an appropriate one, but your comment is constructive, and
deserves a response.

I will be using the compressor for small construction and woodworking
projects. The tools I'll probably use most will be a utility stapler
and a finish nailer. I might do some painting, but that will so rare
that I wouldn't want to get a larger (costlier, heavier, more power
hungry) compressor to keep up with a paint gun.

Last time I owned a compressor it was a dual-tank Emglo. I think it
was rated at 1 1/2 HP and drew about 14 amps. I'll be perfectly happy
to get something similar now, although I'd prefer one that's less
noisy. I understand that the lubricated models make less noise.

Stormin Mormon February 8th 11 02:42 AM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

Worth noting, is that all compressors are lubricated.

Some splash oil from a crankcase. Others have
oiled bronze surface, that contains oil already.

Harbor Freight has a 2 HP model with either pancake
tank, or two tubes. Probably pretty small horses,
though.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon February 8th 11 02:44 AM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

I've thought for a while, that a used water heater might
serve as an expansion tank for a compressor. Hook your
existing compressor to a 82 gal water heater tank (empty of
course) and you'd have longer run time between fill ups.
Your first fill up would take a while.

For quiet, a refrigerator or AC compressor will serve, if
you change the oil. Of course, this post won't be much help
for the OP. But it's fun to dream about.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"N8N" wrote

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] February 8th 11 03:19 AM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

?
"N8N" wrote

[...]

Once apon a time, sleazy tool makers used a horsepower rating taken just as
the motor stalls from load rather than actual running power like they
should. Craftsman saws were all 3 or more HP and compressors used similar
tactics. The SPL probably stands for something like "Stall Power Load" or
similar fairy tale rating.

Steve B[_10_] February 8th 11 04:20 AM

[...]

Matching a compressor to the job is just a good idea. One that is running
100% of the time will wear out a lot faster. You may need more than one
compressor.

Steve

Tony Miklos[_2_] February 8th 11 06:14 AM

On 2/7/2011 4:13 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:

[...]

OK,you got me. I didn't notice the SPL or I would have looked it up.
It's all bull**** though. Different ways of rating them so it sounds
like it's bigger than it is. It's comparable to stereo amps and
speakers rated at 100 watts per channel. The old way of figuring watts
was RMS, then someone got the idea of rating what its peak wattage is
for a split second.

Tony Miklos[_2_] February 8th 11 06:28 AM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

On 2/7/2011 9:18 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Tony wrote:

Do not buy an "oilless" piece of crap.

And do not buy an oiled piece of crap. "Oilless" and "piece of crap" are
*not* synonymous. My oil free compressor was about $600, and I love it.
It's also very quiet, BTW.

Really? A quiet oilless? Now I am curious how many HP it says and what
the CFM at 90# is? And were you able to hear it run before buying it or
had you heard it is quiet from someone else?

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] February 8th 11 11:02 AM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

?
wrote
Really? A quiet oilless? Now I am curious how many HP it says and what
the CFM at 90# is? And were you able to hear it run before buying it or
had you heard it is quiet from someone else?

Gast makes some quiet oil less compressors and some are even rated for
"breathing" air with a decent filter.

Many are oiless design so they can make breathing air for various
applications needing it. Most are more than $99 though. Much more.

George February 8th 11 12:50 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

On 2/7/2011 5:18 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Feb 7, 4:22 pm, "Jon Danniken"
Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:

[...]

So are you claiming that we should simply "educate ourselves" and
apparently accept whatever nonsense the big box marketing department
invents instead of calling them on their sleezy tactics?

Stormin Mormon February 8th 11 01:23 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

Yes, they also need atachments. I've spent more on hoses,
fittings, blow guns, tire chucks, than I spent on the
original compressor. Oh, well.

They really tightened up the free flashlight hand outs. Now,
need $19.99 purchase to go with. I didn't see that free
flash light big lasting forever.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon February 8th 11 01:23 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

You da man! I think I paid 50 for mine, didn't wait long
enough.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Bud-- February 8th 11 07:02 PM

Buying a used air compressor: tips?

N8N wrote:
On Feb 7, 4:22 pm, "Jon Danniken"
Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:
If it is 120v it will not be more than 1HP.
Nonsense. My compressor (Ciasons Industrial) came with a
Magnetek/Century motor on it, rated 3HP SPL, 115V/15A. It will also
run configured as 230V/7.5A, but it came to me wired for 115, and
that's the way I've been using it since I purchased it a few years
ago.
Jon
Look around, that may have been in the class action suit.

No, it is still a current model, and there is no inaccuracy with the way it
is being marketed or sold. Perhaps you might want to learn more about
motors before you spout off about things you do not fully understand.

Jon

Yea g, what do you know about motors...

one horsepower *is equivalent to* 746W. (both HP and Watts are units
of power, just in different measurement systems.) Therefore a 3HP
motor, if 100% efficient, would draw 2238W or 19.46A @ 115V. IRL it
would either draw slightly more, or put out slightly less than 3HP.
Pesky laws of thermodynamics.

In addition to efficiency there is also power factor.

The NEC has motor tables that are used for sizing wire and some other
purposes. A 120V 3HP motor has a table value of 34A. A real 3HP motor is
likely somewhat less.
---------------
IMHO if you connect the motor, the NEC requires the conductors be rated
125% of 34A = 42A. The NEC says nothing about SPL.

a 15A circuit by definition cannot provide more than 1725W @ 115V, and
it would be a bad practice to expect it to do so. A load that large
should really be connected to a 20A or larger circuit.

There is also the problem of starting the motor when the starting
current is about 6x the run current.
-------------
A lot of people here work with electric motors - no one seems to know
what SPL is. Jon might but he isn't saying much. Does not appear to be a
standard motor term. I agree with everyone but Jon that it is an excuse
to lie.

--
bud--

Jon Danniken[_4_] February 8th 11 08:54 PM

bud-- wrote:
A lot of people here work with electric motors - no one seems to know
what SPL is. Jon might but he isn't saying much.

The two local motor rewinders that I called yesterday told me it stood for
"special", as in it is a particular type of rating used in motors for
specific applications, namely compressors.

I'm sure you could contact Magnetek/Century (the manufacturer of the motor
on my compressor) for a more specific answer.

I agree with everyone but Jon that it is an excuse to lie.

The only "lie" would be calling a 3HP SPL (15A/115V) motor a 3HP motor,
which may have been the case in the past with less than reputable merchants
such as Sears/Craftsman, among others. To some of the participants on this
newsgroup, that is an excuse to consider legitimate motor manufacturers
guilty of the same type of deception, even when they properly label their
products.

I believe the phrase "when all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like
a nail" is appropriate here.

Jon