Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freezer question

I got a free freezer, which I was going to gut and use for a fermentation
chamber for beer. It's insulated, and would work with a thermostatic timer
hooked to a heat lamp.

When I got it home, it looked so nice, I plugged it in. It dropped 20 F. in
fifteen minutes. Compressor was humming along. I thought I would just
leave it run and come back in the morning and see how it did. Good thing I
stayed another ten minutes. At twenty minutes, it started a melodic hum hum
about every ten seconds. All of the coils on the back of the freezer and
compressor would move with the hum hum. It is a Sanyo, a small upright,
about 4.5 feet tall and 2 ft. square in the other dimensions. It has the
grid shelves that the refrigerant flows through. A black array of tubing on
the back.

I unplugged it, and figured I would try it again tomorrow, but wanted to ask
here if anyone here can tell me what this might be. It was free, and if I
take all the shelves out, it will make an acceptable compartment to maintain
a 70 degree plus or minus atmosphere for fermenting. I just don't want to
trash it if it is something little, and I can get it fixed and maybe make a
few bucks on it.

Ran fine and cooled for fifteen minutes. At twenty, started hum hum and
shudderhum shudderhum.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
Download the book.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2011 9:16 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Is there a label describing what refrigerant it uses? It could simply be
low on refrigerant.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 11:50*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

That sounds about what mine did. I think I called it surging after it
was on a few minutes. I got my neighbor who I trade off work with to
take a look at it. He put some Freon in it and its been working about
3 years now.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2011 9:57 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 5, 11:50 pm, The Daring
wrote:
[...]

I repair a lot of refrigeration, mostly commercial units which usually
have condenser coils with a fan. Last week I fixed one for a customer
that was simply clogged with dirt. I used a product called Blast Out
which is a condenser coil cleaner in a spray can that leaves no residue.
The stuff has a very strong chemical odor and you have to use it when
they're not busy and ventilate the place afterwards. Home refrigerator/
freezers have a dirt problem too when the condenser underneath gets
stopped up with dirt but most of the stand alone home freezers I've seen
have a convection cooled condenser either an exposed coil in back
or under the skin of the whole cabinet.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

First, I'm not refrigeration guy, but I have seen a few played on tv.

Did you have this unit on it's side or end while you were transporting
it? I'm think it's just possible a bunch of oil got somewhere it's not
supposed to be. I've always heard it said you should leave refrigerators
and like sit a few hours after transporting.

I think I'd try just letting it sit unplugged overnight, then monitor it
for a while next time you power it up.

It won't cost you anything... good luck, let us know what you learn.

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Erik wrote:
In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I'll second this suggestion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freezer question (commercial refrigeration)

For outdoor units, I've had some success with air
compressor, to blow the dust out. Indoors, a one galon
garden sprayer works well, for me. Throw a bath towel over
the fan, so dirty water doesn't spray on walls, etc. Put
down a bath towel, to catch the water that runs out.

I've not used the blast stuff. Seven bucks a can, I don't
like that. I have used alki foam on indoor coils, with a pan
of some kind to catch the chemicals that drain out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

New refrigerators and freezers use a LOT less electricity than older
models.

With that said, I bought a new refrigerator which paid for itself in 5
years with reduced electricity savings. I would never use an old
refrigerator/freezer. Best to get a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't help solve your problem but I think that using a freezer to
maintain at 70 degrees by turning it on and off once in a while may
result in wildly uneven temperatures inside the freezer if you're
blowing 0 degree air every few hours. A refrigerator at least would
have less of a problem with that since the air it blows should be
warmer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 07:24:37 -0800, "Bill" wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, keep replacing your refrigerator every five years and in 20 years or so
they'll be paying *you* to run the refrigerator! ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 07:31:32 -0800 (PST), Shaun Eli
wrote:

I can't help solve your problem but I think that using a freezer to
maintain at 70 degrees by turning it on and off once in a while may
result in wildly uneven temperatures inside the freezer if you're
blowing 0 degree air every few hours. A refrigerator at least would
have less of a problem with that since the air it blows should be
warmer.

Read it again. He's not planning on using the freezer to maintain temp
for fermenting. If he uses it for a fermentor it will just be an
insulated case.

If the freezer works he can sell it and make some money to make more
beer!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

It had stood upright for about a month. I laid it down to move it, about
five minutes, maybe ten.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

If the freezer works he can sell it and make some money to make more
beer!!!!

Wow, someone is paying attention.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2011 7:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
For outdoor units, I've had some success with air
compressor, to blow the dust out. Indoors, a one galon
garden sprayer works well, for me. Throw a bath towel over
the fan, so dirty water doesn't spray on walls, etc. Put
down a bath towel, to catch the water that runs out.

I've not used the blast stuff. Seven bucks a can, I don't
like that. I have used alki foam on indoor coils, with a pan
of some kind to catch the chemicals that drain out.

When they're really dirty, I use a garden type 2 gallon sprayer with
water mixed condenser cleaner, non-acid type and a shop vac to clean
up the liquid that winds up on the floor and the drain pan. 2 gallons
of clean water rinse and it's good to go. Sometimes I have to pump a
unit down, take it outside and get serious with foaming cleaner and my
foam gun attached to a water hose. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2011 9:31 AM, Shaun Eli wrote:
I can't help solve your problem but I think that using a freezer to
maintain at 70 degrees by turning it on and off once in a while may
result in wildly uneven temperatures inside the freezer if you're
blowing 0 degree air every few hours. A refrigerator at least would
have less of a problem with that since the air it blows should be
warmer.

It's a do it yourself experiment, all rationality goes out the window.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've wanted one of those foam guns, but can't justify the
$80 at the moment. I mix up the stuff, and put on with a
flower watering sprinkler. Which has done some good. Often
restaurants, the baked on grease take several cleanings.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

When they're really dirty, I use a garden type 2 gallon
sprayer with
water mixed condenser cleaner, non-acid type and a shop vac
to clean
up the liquid that winds up on the floor and the drain pan.
2 gallons
of clean water rinse and it's good to go. Sometimes I have
to pump a
unit down, take it outside and get serious with foaming
cleaner and my
foam gun attached to a water hose. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now days, fridge and freezer are mostly disposable. I'd wait
over night (oil in the piston, y'know) and plug it in again.
If it works, fine, if not then it's still not a big loss.
All you paid for it and all. My sense at the moment is some
kind of compressor damage, and it won't get any better.
Please let us know what happens.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2011 9:31 AM, Shaun Eli wrote:
I can't help solve your problem but I think that using a freezer to
maintain at 70 degrees by turning it on and off once in a while may
result in wildly uneven temperatures inside the freezer if you're
blowing 0 degree air every few hours. A refrigerator at least would
have less of a problem with that since the air it blows should be
warmer.

Responders in the brewing newsgroup do it all the time. By using a special
thermometer that is held in the middle of the fermenting liquid, and not
just in the freezer cavity, temperature can be pretty closely regulated.
Plus, with the insulation, there aren't wide swings in temperature. And
cheap thick styrofoam panels can be glued on the outside of the freezer as
well.