Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making a driveway in clay soil

Generally speaking, where there is very heavy clay soil, how many inches
of 4" ballast then how many inches of clean or modified crusher run?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 12:20*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
Generally speaking, where there is very heavy clay soil, how many inches
of 4" ballast then how many inches of clean or modified crusher run?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 12:54*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 22, 12:20*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:

Generally speaking, where there is very heavy clay soil, how many inches
of 4" ballast then how many inches of clean or modified crusher run?- Hide quoted text -

The more the better If you going for a gravel driveway over clay my
neighbor insisted on a gravel driveway.

So he had the old gravel dug out down over a foot. Then had a inch of
asphalt laid.

then added big gravel then crushed.and had it rolled.

that must be 20 years ago the ONLY non muddy gravel driveway in the
area.....

If you topping with asphalt or concrete some perforated drain lines in
the gravel will help prevent freeze heaving
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

On 1/22/2011 12:59 PM, wrote:
On Jan 22, 12:54 pm, wrote:
On Jan 22, 12:20 pm, Tony wrote:

Generally speaking, where there is very heavy clay soil, how many inches
of 4" ballast then how many inches of clean or modified crusher run?- Hide quoted text -

The more the better If you going for a gravel driveway over clay my
neighbor insisted on a gravel driveway.

So he had the old gravel dug out down over a foot. Then had a inch of
asphalt laid.

then added big gravel then crushed.and had it rolled.

that must be 20 years ago the ONLY non muddy gravel driveway in the
area.....

If you topping with asphalt or concrete some perforated drain lines in
the gravel will help prevent freeze heaving

No asphalt or concrete, just stone. Looks like I'll have to pay some
one to dig it out. Damn rental place in town keeps getting a smaller
Kabota loader/hoe each time they get a new one. Soon it will be easier
with a hand shovel.... come to think of it, that's how we moved our
driveway when I was a kid. Dug it up an moved it, about 200' of
driveway. No wonder I hurt so bad now, I wore out my body as a teenager.

Try United Rentals, Nations Rent, or another commercial equipment rental
place for proper sized equipment. Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks
for delivery and pickup for the larger equipment, but the much greater
productivity of the larger equipment easily makes it worthwhile. If you
or a friend happen to have a 1T pickup you can move a pretty good sized
Bobcat and attachments yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2011 6:55 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Tony Miklos wrote:

On 1/22/2011 12:59 PM, wrote:
On Jan 22, 12:54 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I requested a quote. Closest one is about 65 miles but I have
my own truck and trailer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

On 1/22/2011 12:59 PM, wrote:
On Jan 22, 12:54 pm, * wrote:
On Jan 22, 12:20 pm, Tony * wrote:

[...]

my own truck and trailer.- Hide quoted text -

Try craigslist, often people with machines advertise excavating
service there.

Frequently a guy buys one for himself and friends ask him to do some
digging, he ends up with a nice side business