Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Venting options for relocated HW heater (w/pics)

I am renovating my basement and part of the project involves
relocating a HW heater. I was contemplating getting a tankless unit,
but I decided to stay with a conventional unit.
Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

I would like to move it 3 feet to the left inside the furnace room to
gain more space by the window. As you can see the 3" HW heater exhaust
duct is to the right of the 6" furnace duct when it goes into the
chimney. So relocating it to that spot was my first choice.
But then I started contemplating possibly moving to the left of the
furnace duct. This would free up some space in the furnace room. But
the HW heater duct could not tie in to the existing duct in the
chimney because of the height of the HW heater( 50 gallon tall model).
Anotherwords I would have to go under the 6" duct, then back up, which
I know you can't do.
My question is can I tie in the HW heater duct to the existing 6"
furnace duct, possibly using a Tee of some sort?

For both options I have verified clearance for servicing/replacing HW
heater or furnace. Also I am not keeping my old unit since its 8+
years old and a 40 Gallon model out of warranty, I am getting a new 50
gallon unit and roughing it in.