Posted to alt.home.repair

Default basement waterproofing

how much does it cost? my home is 20f width x 24f length. I live in
Toronto/Ontario. One company gave me the below quota which i found
very expensive, what do you think please? thanks

"A rough estimate for external waterproofing 88 linear feet with a
standard 6-7 foot deep dig as follows: We would excavate down to the
bottom of the footings, clean the walls, apply a rubberized urethane
by hand and also attach a dimple board on top. Install new weeping
tile and cover with 2 feet of 3/4" gravel, then cover with a
geomembrane. We would then back fill to grade.Rough Price: $10,000 +
HST $1,300 Total= $11,300"
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"leza wang" wrote in message
how much does it cost? my home is 20f width x 24f length. I live in
Toronto/Ontario. One company gave me the below quota which i found
very expensive, what do you think please? thanks

"A rough estimate for external waterproofing 88 linear feet with a
standard 6-7 foot deep dig as follows: We would excavate down to the
bottom of the footings, clean the walls, apply a rubberized urethane
by hand and also attach a dimple board on top. Install new weeping
tile and cover with 2 feet of 3/4" gravel, then cover with a
geomembrane. We would then back fill to grade.Rough Price: $10,000 +
HST $1,300 Total= $11,300"

That is a lot of digging. hauling in gravel, etc. Sounds reasonable to me
for the amount of work and materials. A backhoe and operator typically goes
for $200 to $500 an hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 8:50 AM, leza wang wrote:
how much does it cost? my home is 20f width x 24f length. I live in
Toronto/Ontario. One company gave me the below quota which i found
very expensive, what do you think please? thanks

"A rough estimate for external waterproofing 88 linear feet with a
standard 6-7 foot deep dig as follows: We would excavate down to the
bottom of the footings, clean the walls, apply a rubberized urethane
by hand and also attach a dimple board on top. Install new weeping
tile and cover with 2 feet of 3/4" gravel, then cover with a
geomembrane. We would then back fill to grade.Rough Price: $10,000 +
HST $1,300 Total= $11,300"

That sounds about right for that kind of fix. It's about the best you
can get and they will probably guarantee it not to leak for life.

Quite often however there are less expensive remedies. Starting with
rain gutters/downspouts, grading the soil so water runs away from the
house are just 2. They are 2 of the first things to check.

If the water comes in at floor level and not through the walls, an
inside french drain with a sump pit and pump may work. It's quite
difficult to speculate without seeing the house inside and out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 10:10*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

But, what would you estimate an inside around the perimeter of the
basement drain system would cost? Leza is a total newbie and needs as
much information as possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Ive redone quite a few places and stopped leaks with simple cheap
methods, rather than the expensive, Dig it all up thinking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 7:50*am, leza wang wrote:
how much does it cost? my home is 20f width x 24f length. I live in
Toronto/Ontario. One company gave me the below quota which i found
very expensive, what do you think please? thanks

"A rough estimate for external waterproofing 88 linear feet with a
standard 6-7 foot deep dig as follows: We would excavate down to the
bottom of the footings, clean the walls, apply a rubberized urethane
by hand and also attach a dimple board on top. Install new weeping
tile and cover with 2 feet of 3/4" gravel, then cover with a
geomembrane. We would then back fill to grade.Rough Price: $10,000 +
HST $1,300 Total= $11,300"

How bad and where does it leak, the price is ok, but do you need all
that done. Maybe you do need it, and then you should consider a drain
tile system while its all dug up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 12:48 PM, ransley wrote:
On Jan 16, 7:50 am, leza wrote:
how much does it cost? my home is 20f width x 24f length. I live in
Toronto/Ontario. One company gave me the below quota which i found
very expensive, what do you think please? thanks

"A rough estimate for external waterproofing 88 linear feet with a
standard 6-7 foot deep dig as follows: We would excavate down to the
bottom of the footings, clean the walls, apply a rubberized urethane
by hand and also attach a dimple board on top. Install new weeping
tile and cover with 2 feet of 3/4" gravel, then cover with a
geomembrane. We would then back fill to grade.Rough Price: $10,000 +
HST $1,300 Total= $11,300"

How bad and where does it leak, the price is ok, but do you need all
that done. Maybe you do need it, and then you should consider a drain
tile system while its all dug up.

The estimate included that. Remember, this is Canada, they use slightly
different terms. I'd like to get that done to this place, but it would
require killing a lot of trees, and blowing away the rear deck and front
porch. I had one company in for an estimate, and he fed me a line of BS
about how OSHA didn't allow slit digging, and how they would have to
excavate yard ten feet back from the wall, and it would cost 25k for a
house not much larger. He then did a real slick high-pressure sales
pitch to try to get me to sign a contract for 8k for interior french
drains, right then. I basically threw him out. But I can easily see how
people who didn't grow up in the business would fall for it. I fixed
most of my problem with a little exterior regrading, and will handle the
rest when and if I re-do the deck, and get around to buying an epoxy
injection kit for a couple small holes where the form-board tie-bars were.

See Leza's other thread about the 90 YO house for more details. Reading
between the lines, I suspect some regrading and window repairs, and
replacing the gutters with the roof that probably needs replacement, may
make a big difference in the wet basement. In the other thread, we
recommended a site survey by a good inspector or GC. Nothing replaces
seeing it in person.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 11:15 AM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Jan 16, 10:10 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

That I don't know, just that it's a lot less than the outside approach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 10:10 am, Tony *wrote:
[...]

That I don't know, just that it's a lot less than the outside approach.- Hide quoted text -

Having DONE BOTH , exterior french drain, regrade entire yard, new
sidewalks steps dump truck loads of grave, dump truck loads of dirt
hauled away, and replaced part of driveway, new downspout lines to
daylight at street, and some new gutters cleaned it all.I was the
laborer. hard grueling work including a complete new lawn. This all
cost of 8 grand,

Within months the basement was wet again

3500 bucks for interior french drain ended the wet.........

The first failed job did increase the curb appeal a lot. I added nice
stuff like lighting.. for appearances.

but all that outdoor work didnt do what the interior job did at a
fraction of the price

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 10:10 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

We've discussed this to death before- you are the exception that proves
the rule. I'd wager your water was coming up from below, while most
people have it coming down from sky or the hill above them.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 12:48*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 16, 7:50*am, leza wang wrote:

how much does it cost? my home is 20f width x 24f length. I live in
Toronto/Ontario. One company gave me the below quota which i found
very expensive, what do you think please? thanks

"A rough estimate for external waterproofing 88 linear feet with a
standard 6-7 foot deep dig as follows: We would excavate down to the
bottom of the footings, clean the walls, apply a rubberized urethane
by hand and also attach a dimple board on top. Install new weeping
tile and cover with 2 feet of 3/4" gravel, then cover with a
geomembrane. We would then back fill to grade.Rough Price: $10,000 +
HST $1,300 Total= $11,300"

How bad and where does it leak, the price is ok, but do you need all
that done. Maybe you do need it, and then you should consider a drain
tile system while its all dug up.

thanks Ransley for your reply. Not sure what you meant by "do you need
all that done" ?
do you mean do i need to do all the basement of just the part that is
leaking? the answer: of course i prefer to do only that part but i
thought since i started to fix one part then why not all (just to save
cost for long run if i will have to do another part)

could you please also tell me what do you mean by a drain tule system?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2011 9:25 PM, leza wang wrote:
On Jan 16, 12:48 pm, wrote:
On Jan 16, 7:50 am, leza wrote:

[...]

What he is talking about is the 'weeping tile' that was specified in
your estimate. Different words for the same thing. It is best to have
that, but I would try the cheap cures first, since they are mostly stuff
you will have to do anyway. If the grading/gutters/roof solves the
moisture problem, you can put off or forget about digging the big trench
all around the house.

--
aem sends...