Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homes for the Homeless

Due to circumstances, I will be homeless at sometime in the future,
and that day may not be too far away. I've been watching the homeless
people downtown. Most have an old shopping cart and cart around their
few possessions, which is normally some spare clothing, shoes, some
blankets, fork and knife, matches, metal cup, and maybe a transistor
radio. Normally they have some sort of snacks and many have liquor.

When they dont go to places like the Rescue Mission to stay, they
usually sleep under bridges, under loading docks, oir abandoned
buildings of they exist. But I've noticed that some of them are
pretty ingenious. Some have large cardboard boxes to sleep in,
usually refrigerator boxes, and they will build a small fire nearby to
warm the box without setting it on fire.

When I get to the point of homelessness, I want to be prepared. But I
want to have a little better setup. The idea is to have a tent of
sorts that dont need to be staked, since they need to be moved quickly
and you cant stake into concrete. Therefore, I've decided to use the
shopping cart as part of the tent. The idea is to make the tent over
the cart, and use the cart to keep it upright even in windy weather.
Yet make the tent collapse into the cart in a couple minutes so it can
be wheeled away quickly. And yes, the cart will need wheel locks for
windy weather which can be small wooden blocks carved to fit the
wheels.

I'm looking for ideas how to design this setup. I have a few canvas
painters tarps to make the tent, but it's how to make it around the
shopping cart that has me puzzled.

One last thing, I'd like to find a way to heat the tent in cold
weather, using scrap wood and paper garbage, but it cant be a heavy
item to cart around.

Ron