Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

Default Can "wattage" trip a GFCI?

On Jan 12, 2:27*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was discussing worklights with a friend. *I told him that I have one
of these 500 watt units:

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-wat...-shop-light-40...

In one email he said:

"I like the idea of these lights, but every time I purchase one for
use, they trip the GFCI receptacle in my garage. I've had to return
every light that I've purchased and have given up on the idea."

When I said that I've used this light in the rain more than once
without any problem, he replied with:

"I believe that it's the pure wattage requirements of these lights,
more than their quality (or lack thereof) that caused my GFCI to
trip."

Does that make any sense?

If it was an current overage the breaker would trip not the GFCI so
why would a "high wattage" device trip the GFCI?

Heck, I bought a 500 watt single tripod lamp at my local hardware for
$20.
It has a two position switch for brightness. They get some nice deals.
Also make sure ground is connected to the metal stand, but that's just
a safety issue.

greg