Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

Default In-floor heating question

I'm planning on remodeling my upstairs kitchen and am contemplating
putting in electric in-floor heating mat under my tile floor. Since
my basement is finished, I don't have access to the underside of the
subfloor to put any insulation to reflect the heat upwards into the
kitchen. Is this going to be a problem since heat rises anyway?

Also any recommendations on manufacturer of heating mats? I would
like to run it on a theromastat with a timer.

Robin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 4:16*pm, rlz wrote:
I'm planning on remodeling my upstairs kitchen and am contemplating
putting in electric in-floor heating mat under my tile floor. *Since
my basement is finished, I don't have access to the underside of the
subfloor to put any insulation to reflect the heat upwards into the
kitchen. *Is this going to be a problem since heat rises anyway?

Also any recommendations on manufacturer of heating mats? *I would
like to run it on a theromastat with a timer.

Robin

There is no problem so long as you follow the manufacturer's
instruction.
Some systems incorporate a reflective/insulating layer under the
heating cable.
Proper insulation under the slab is far better though.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 10, 10:16*am, rlz wrote:

snip

I don't have access to the underside of the
subfloor to put any insulation to reflect the heat upwards into the
kitchen. *Is this going to be a problem since heat rises anyway?

Common insulation does not reflect heat (infrared). Foil coated foam
does, and any other foil faced insulation. Your chosen system will
have been engineered to perform effectively, so just install per
instructions.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2011 11:16 AM, rlz wrote:
I'm planning on remodeling my upstairs kitchen and am contemplating
putting in electric in-floor heating mat under my tile floor. Since
my basement is finished, I don't have access to the underside of the
subfloor to put any insulation to reflect the heat upwards into the
kitchen. Is this going to be a problem since heat rises anyway?

Hot air rises. Heat flows to the colder location regardless of
direction. You'll want the down R value to be greater than the up R
value if you want to minimize heat lost downstairs.

Reflective insulation only works if it has space to reflect into. If
it is in direct contact, it will not.

If you can add insulation under your "heat mat", do so. Even if it is
just a bit.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 11:16*am, rlz wrote:
I'm planning on remodeling my upstairs kitchen and am contemplating
putting in electric in-floor heating mat under my tile floor. *Since
my basement is finished, I don't have access to the underside of the
subfloor to put any insulation to reflect the heat upwards into the
kitchen. *Is this going to be a problem since heat rises anyway?

Also any recommendations on manufacturer of heating mats? *I would
like to run it on a theromastat with a timer.

Robin

Yup... If you are able to rip up the floors down to the bare plywood
sub-flooring, then you should be able to cut into the sheet rock
ceiling and patching it after you add the required insulation...

Doing it the right way the first time is cheaper in the long run
rather
than having to dig up the floor and replace the electric heating mat
after it burns out from having to be activated longer and more
frequently to maintain the temp at the thermostat without the
proper insulation beneath the floor than it would if you did things
right from the install...

Your house, your choice...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Jan 10, 11:16*am, rlz wrote:
I'm planning on remodeling my upstairs kitchen and am contemplating
putting in electric in-floor heating mat under my tile floor. *Since
my basement is finished, I don't have access to the underside of the
subfloor to put any insulation to reflect the heat upwards into the
kitchen. *Is this going to be a problem since heat rises anyway?

Also any recommendations on manufacturer of heating mats? *I would
like to run it on a theromastat with a timer.

Robin

Reflection does not occur unless there is an air space. For optimum
results at least 1/2 inch,
but a couple mm will help.

Any insulation at all, will help cut radiation into the basement.
Radiation does not
occur unless there is appreciable temperature variation.

In my basement, I am installing 1/2 inch foam on the floor with 5/8
inch wood over it.
The same could be done upstairs if the level change can be tolerated.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 11, 1:08*pm, zek wrote:
On Jan 10, 11:16*am, rlz wrote:

I'm planning on remodeling my upstairs kitchen and am contemplating
putting in electric in-floor heating mat under my tile floor. *Since
my basement is finished, I don't have access to the underside of the
subfloor to put any insulation to reflect the heat upwards into the
kitchen. *Is this going to be a problem since heat rises anyway?

Also any recommendations on manufacturer of heating mats? *I would
like to run it on a theromastat with a timer.

Robin

Reflection does not occur unless there is an air space. For optimum
results at least 1/2 inch,
but a couple mm will help.

Best go back and read that Physics 101 chapter again. IR radiation
does not require air for transmission any more than light does. In
fact, it is just a part of the spectrum.
Radiation, convection, and conduction are all part of the energy
confining solution. It pays to know which is which.
Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2011 3:44 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jan 11, 1:08 pm, wrote:
On Jan 10, 11:16 am, wrote:

I'm planning on remodeling my upstairs kitchen and am contemplating
putting in electric in-floor heating mat under my tile floor. Since
my basement is finished, I don't have access to the underside of the
subfloor to put any insulation to reflect the heat upwards into the
kitchen. Is this going to be a problem since heat rises anyway?

Also any recommendations on manufacturer of heating mats? I would
like to run it on a theromastat with a timer.

Robin

Reflection does not occur unless there is an air space. For optimum
results at least 1/2 inch,
but a couple mm will help.

Best go back and read that Physics 101 chapter again. IR radiation
does not require air for transmission any more than light does.

This is technically true, but the only space an average remodeler is
likely to have is going to be air. Cosmonauts excluded, of course. ;-)

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

I put the kind were you attach the wires down the length of the floor..
I have it set to 85 degrees I comes on at 5am wife gets up at 5;30 floor
cuts off at 7am whem she leaves for work.
Just love a warm floor in the cold mornings..
This is in the bathroom
If this is what your speaking of go to Warm Tiles Easy Heat see how it is
done. I did mine all myself..
To break it in get her buck naked on the floor and have at.. Wear it out
better do it before her boyfriend does..

..

Tiled floor over suspended floor - heating? David WE Roberts UK diy 4 October 8th 09 11:25 PM
question on heating/cooling the second floor [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 17th 06 09:57 PM
under floor heating habbi Home Repair 12 March 10th 05 11:45 PM
Under Floor Heating Mark Carver UK diy 8 February 4th 05 10:07 PM
Central Heating Question - Heating Loop Murdo MacKenzie UK diy 2 May 17th 04 02:42 PM