Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much heat to keep pipes from freezing

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 15:10:09 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

On 1/9/2011 2:24 PM, wrote:
On Jan 9, 2:18 pm, wrote:
Here in winter, most days it at least gets above freezing.
(Alabama/Georgia) The nights are supposed to be down in the low 20s
this week.
In my sister's house, the water heater is in a utility room
with no heat. The hot water pipe is in an outside wall so her hot
water freezes during these cold times. I have suggested she put a
100W bulb in the overhead light and leave it on to keep the pipes from
freezing. This has helped, but it still freezes if the temp stays
below freezing for more than a day.
She only needs enough heat in the small x small room to keep
the pipe from freezing. A 100W lamp is not enough and a room heater
is really too much. Can someone suggest something in between?

I'd just keep a hot water faucet open so just a trickle is running.
Probably more effective and not much money. A 100W bulb in the
middle of a room
isn't going to do much. You'd have to have more like 500W, one of
the little heaters from Walmart or similar to heat the room enough.
Must not be insulation in that wall either or it would take more to
freeze it.

A thermostatically controlled heat tape on however much of the pipe you
can get to. For the part buried in the outside wall, next time it breaks
and you have to open up the wall anyway, reroute it, or at least
insulate the heck out of it.

My house in Louisiana has the WH in the garage storage shed. Shares a
wall with the house, and enough heat leaks through to keep it from
freezing. I wouldn't build things that way, but when the budget only
covers existing houses, what're ya gonna do?

Heat tape would be a good idea if it wasn't me that would have to
install it (I don't mind doing it, but my health is not best). She
has a brother in law in the same state that does her plumbing. I live
one state away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/9/2011 2:24 PM, wrote:
On Jan 9, 2:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

A smart 12 year old could install heat tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:52:01 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 1/9/2011 2:24 PM, wrote:
On Jan 9, 2:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

Don't I wish I were still 12? How about a 52 year old liver
transplant patient with thrombocytopenia?

Posted to alt.home.repair

As you're not available to put in the heat tape.
Leaving a hot faucet dripping may be the work
around for now. check the local paper for
handy man? This can't be the only house with
a bad design like that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

Heat tape would be a good idea if it wasn't me that would
have to
install it (I don't mind doing it, but my health is not
best). She
has a brother in law in the same state that does her
plumbing. I live
one state away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On 1/9/2011 2:24 PM, wrote:
On Jan 9, 2:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

So, find a smart 12 year old!

Posted to alt.home.repair

If one existed! Most 12s are hooked onto an
ipod at one end, a Gameboy at the other end,
and a couple cell phones stuck into each ear.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

Heat tape would be a good idea if it wasn't me that would
have to
install it (I don't mind doing it, but my health is not
best). She
has a brother in law in the same state that does her
plumbing. I live
one state away.

A smart 12 year old could install heat tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't want to be 12 again. Have to ask Mom for a ride
any where? No way!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

Heat tape would be a good idea if it wasn't me that would
have to
install it (I don't mind doing it, but my health is not
best). She
has a brother in law in the same state that does her
plumbing. I live
one state away.

A smart 12 year old could install heat tape.

Don't I wish I were still 12? How about a 52 year old liver
transplant patient with thrombocytopenia?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try the local Mormons. Most of their 12 year old
boys can install heat tape. At least, the ones in my
congregation can. I think. At 49 years old, I do
my own heat tape. Fortunately, I've not had a
liver transplant.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

A smart 12 year old could install heat tape.

Don't I wish I were still 12? How about a 52 year old
liver
transplant patient with thrombocytopenia?

So, find a smart 12 year old!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
If one existed! Most 12s are hooked onto an
ipod at one end, a Gameboy at the other end,
and a couple cell phones stuck into each ear.

Only Mormons. The rest of us are OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gee, so all those flocks, herds, and gaggles of 12s I see
at the mall. They are all Mormons? Neat! Glad you told me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
If one existed! Most 12s are hooked onto an
ipod at one end, a Gameboy at the other end,
and a couple cell phones stuck into each ear.

Only Mormons. The rest of us are OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 18:40:32 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote Re How much heat to keep pipes from freezing:

Heat tape would be a good idea if it wasn't me that would have to
install it (I don't mind doing it, but my health is not best). She
has a brother in law in the same state that does her plumbing. I live
one state away.

Be aware however that it is not unusual for the thermostat on heat
tape to fail and not turn on the tape heat when it is needed. I just
got finished fixing two failed heat tapes down at the barn here in
northwest Alabama.

It's looking like the 2010-2011 winter will be the coldest we have had
in 30 years. We just got 8" of snow last night. That's the second
snow in the past month.