Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Does hard plastic (humidifier) develop micro-leaks?

I've had a humidifier and a cat drinking fountain both develop
unexplained leaks. They both consist of a hard plastic base and a
water reservoir that sits in the base, with a part that lets water
into the base as the level drops. The humidifier has a second part
which is a wick and a fan, the fountain has a pump to drop water into
the open portion so the cats have fresh aerated water.

Each is about three years old. The humidifier was stored in the
basement and when I put it together for this winter and put in a new
wick, it leaks. I replaced the part that feeds the water with a new
one, and it still leaks. I cannot figure out where it is leaking from.

The cat fountain was in continuous use until a few months ago when it
started leaking. Again, I cannot figure out where the leak is coming
from. It looks fine, and a few hours later a pool has formed on the
floor. The water level looks no higher than normal.

All I can think of is that the hard plastic base(s) has somehow
developed a permeability to water. Can that be?

I'm pretty mystified. I've replaced both humidifier and cat fountain
(neither leaks) but I'm still curious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:
[...]

put some dye in the water and watch for it on the outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 8:58*pm, mike wrote:
dgk wrote:
[...]

put some dye in the water and watch for it on the outside.- Hide quoted text -

Use food coloring, not dye! Food coloring will wash off or at least
bleach out, dye is permanent (more or less).
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:33:26 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Dec 27, 8:58*pm, mike wrote:
dgk wrote:
[...]

I'm going to assume that the coloring will be evenly dispensed in the
water that leaks out. I'm not sure how that helps me find the source
of the leak since the water will still be on the floor.

But you did remind me of when I was a kid doing lifeguard duty on a
small condominum pool. I learned from the pool supply company guys
that if there was a leak we should put some oatmeal into the water and
see where it ended up. I suppose I can put some oatmeal into the
bottom and watch where it goes.