Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kitchen cabinet refinishing

Im am trying to refinish some kitchen cabinet doors. The old poly on
them is best described and rotten goo. What is the best way too remove
this gunk. The rest of the cabinets are in pretty good shape and my
wife did them with Formby's re finisher.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2010 2:49 PM JIMMIE spake thus:

Im am trying to refinish some kitchen cabinet doors. The old poly on
them is best described and rotten goo. What is the best way too remove
this gunk. The rest of the cabinets are in pretty good shape and my
wife did them with Formby's re finisher.

You say the old finish is "rotten goo", but it sounds like this might be
gunk sitting on top of the old finish, like oil and grease, not the
finish itself. I doubt if the old finish itself is gooey; it's probably
an accumulation of grease, not unlikely at all in a kitchen.

What a guy would want to do is to try to clean the gunk off first. For
grease, I'd use a rag wetted with some naphtha, paint *thinner* (not
paint *remover*) first, to see if you can wipe off the gunk. If this
works, then just use the solvent to get the worst of the gooey stuff
off, then clean thoroughly with [insert name of cleaner of choice here].
(I like Simple Green; you can also use TSP, so long as you're careful to
wash all traces of it off before refinishing.)

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:49:23 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

Im am trying to refinish some kitchen cabinet doors. The old poly on
them is best described and rotten goo. What is the best way too remove
this gunk. The rest of the cabinets are in pretty good shape and my
wife did them with Formby's re finisher.

Jimmie

1) Leave the wife to her project

2) http://www.liftoffinc.com/products.php

3) A citrus based product for wood. Found in box store or markets. It
cleans "goo"

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

BUT remember you are in a kitchen so be careful of anything that might
go BOOM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 4:49*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Im am trying to refinish some kitchen cabinet doors. The old poly on
them is best described and rotten goo. What is the best way too remove
this gunk. The rest of the cabinets are in pretty good shape and my
wife did them with Formby's re finisher.

Jimmie

Strip it with paint remover, a marine strip is strongest. Years of
oils and grease ruin any finish and make it soft , take it all off or
you will have a bigger mess trying to half do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 9:35*am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 21, 4:49*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

Im am trying to refinish some kitchen cabinet doors. The old poly on
them is best described and rotten goo. What is the best way too remove
this gunk. The rest of the cabinets are in pretty good shape and my
wife did them with Formby's re finisher.

Jimmie

Strip it with paint remover, a marine strip is strongest. Years of
oils and grease ruin any finish and make it soft , take it all off or
you will have a bigger mess trying to half do it.

Gave up on working in a cold garage, sent them out to have them
professionally done. Figure $400 for 24 doors and drawer fronts wasnt
a bad deal. BTW found that scraping was the best way to remove the
gooey stuff.

Jimmie