Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Q: Omni Whole House Filter Question?

I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every
1-2 months depending on conditions.

Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and
spinning the filter holder off, replacing the element and rescrewing
it back on.

However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the
filter holder. I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put
some muscle into it. So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.

I've inspected the inside of the device and it all looks normal and
there is no goop around the threads or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Thanks all.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bobmct wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Use some veggie oil or other edible grease on the threads. (While not
strictly edible, since it's on the threads where doesn't really contact
water, I use Vaseline often as handy)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
bobmct wrote:

I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every
1-2 months depending on conditions.

Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and
spinning the filter holder off, replacing the element and rescrewing
it back on.

However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the
filter holder. I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put
some muscle into it. So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.

I've inspected the inside of the device and it all looks normal and
there is no goop around the threads or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Thanks all.

Chase the threads. Probably got dinged up or cross-threaded at some
point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct wrote:
I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every
1-2 months depending on conditions.

Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and
spinning the filter holder off, replacing the element and rescrewing
it back on.

However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the
filter holder. I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put
some muscle into it. So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.

I've inspected the inside of the device and it all looks normal and
there is no goop around the threads or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Thanks all.

Teflon spray at the threaded parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Omni Whole House Filter Question?

"bobmct" wrote in message
I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every
1-2 months depending on conditions.

Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and
spinning the filter holder off, replacing the element and rescrewing
it back on.

However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the
filter holder. I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put
some muscle into it. So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.

I've inspected the inside of the device and it all looks normal and
there is no goop around the threads or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Thanks all.

Take the damn POS out before it breaks while you are not home. My choose to
pop it's top while we were home so I only had to vacuum 300 or so gallons
and spend 4 hours removing it and splicing the pipes.

Never ever again will I have a plastic POS filter in any home I own.

And before anyone starts screaming including Omini claim user error, it was
the top screwed on by the factory that exploded. It was nothing I ever
touched. I really thought about suing and decided it was not worth the
effort.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

--

I had the same problem with a whole house filter and Vaseline worked
great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 9:32*pm, Ron wrote:
On Dec 5, 4:31*pm, dpb wrote:

bobmct wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Use some veggie oil or other edible grease on the threads. *(While not
strictly edible, since it's on the threads where doesn't really contact
water, I use Vaseline often as handy)

--

I had the same problem with a whole house filter and Vaseline worked
great.

Last time I had one of those situations, I didn't
have Vaseline so I went around the threads
with Chap-Stik.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:22:03 -0500, bobmct
wrote:

I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every
1-2 months depending on conditions.

Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and
spinning the filter holder off, replacing the element and rescrewing
it back on.

However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the
filter holder. I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put
some muscle into it. So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.

I've inspected the inside of the device and it all looks normal and
there is no goop around the threads or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Thanks all.

Thanks all, Sounds like another use for Vaseline...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bobmct" wrote

However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the
filter holder. I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put
some muscle into it. So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.

Thanks all, Sounds like another use for Vaseline...

I did not see the original thread, but are you relieving the pressure? I
use Vaseline on mine, but it it just as imporant to open a faucet to relieve
the pressure in the system and it will come off much easier. Same principle
as opening a jar. Once you pop the vacuum, the lid comes right off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every
1-2 months depending on conditions.

Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and
spinning the filter holder off, replacing the element and rescrewing
it back on.

However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the
filter holder. *I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put
some muscle into it. *So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.

I've inspected the inside of the device and it all looks normal and
there is no goop around the threads or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Thanks all.

Thanks all, *Sounds like another use for Vaseline...

Just so everyone knows that drinks tap beer...I worked very close to a
bar at one time and they used Vaseline on their tap system and barrel
pumps to save themselves some money over the approved type of silicone
grease.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every
1-2 months depending on conditions.

Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and
spinning the filter holder off, replacing the element and rescrewing
it back on.

However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the
filter holder. I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put
some muscle into it. So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.

I've inspected the inside of the device and it all looks normal and
there is no goop around the threads or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Thanks all.

Thanks all, Sounds like another use for Vaseline...

Vaseline is not good for plastic parts. Find a food distributor and buy
some lubricating jelly that is for soft serve ice cream machines. It will
be food safe and should be safe for plastic also.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:22:03 -0500, bobmct wrote:

I have one of these contraptions and I change the filter element every
1-2 months depending on conditions.

Usually, with the Omni wrench, its simply a matter of unscrewing and
spinning the filter holder off, replacing the element and rescrewing
it back on.

However, for the past few months its a herculean effort to unscrew the
filter holder. I must brace the entry and exit pipes and really put
some muscle into it. So much in fact that I'm afraid of breaking it.

I've inspected the inside of the device and it all looks normal and
there is no goop around the threads or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be
doing this and, more importantly, what I might be able to do to
relieve this situation?

Thanks all.

In my exprience, it's not the threads that are the problem, but the rubber
O-ring. Smearing a thin film of plumber's grease on the rubber works like a
charm.

--
Pete

Old house with gas furnace but no filter question Bob D. Home Repair 4 January 12th 08 09:35 PM
House air Filter Dick Home Repair 19 December 7th 07 05:24 PM
Whole House Water Filter? James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 9 April 3rd 06 05:07 PM
AQA whole house water filter ClaudCar Home Repair 2 March 29th 05 09:52 PM
whole house water filter Cool Papa Bell Home Ownership 3 February 20th 05 03:43 PM