Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kohler 12kw Propane Generator

On Dec 1, 12:30 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

(LoRayne) wrote:
On the Automatic Transfer Switch, there are two blue buttons. One is a
manual test switch. The other has a clock on it and this second one is
the exercise set button. Holding it down for 3 seconds will program
the unit to exercise without a load for 20 minutes at the same time
every week.

I prefer to exercise the test every two weeks and for less than 20
minutes. QUESTION: If I test it manually, will this override the
automatic testing that is currently programmed in? Hopefully, yes.
Thanks in advance.

I have zero experience with backup generators, but I seriously doubt
that a manual start would override a programmed auto-start. It'd be
possible for the manufacturer to build that logic into the control, but
I doubt it's been done.

Why do you want to leave the auto-start engaged if you're planning to do
it manually, anyway? I say make your auto / manual choice and stick with
it.

OK, the weekly auto exercise worked fine for years but recently I've
had to re-program it every other week. It wouldn't hold for more than
2 weeks. But the last time I re-programmed it, it went into cool down
mode instead of exercise mode. So now, every Wednesday morning at 10
am I get 20 minutes of cool down. HELP! I want to just cancel the
auto mode and test it manually at my leisure. So I thought that by
pressing the manual button, it would override the auto program.
Otherwise, I don't know how to disengage from auto.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(LoRayne) wrote:
[...]

Last I knew, Kohler was known for good support, consider calling them
and asking them. They can probably also tell you why the control is
loosing settings, perhaps a backup battery in need of replacement.