Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Default tankless water heater

home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or 3 x 40 amp
breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations / recommendations ?

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

todd wrote:
home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or
3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations /
recommendations ?

Nope, not those. The Germans make better ones. I have 2.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 6:34*am, "todd" wrote:
home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or 3 x 40 amp
breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations / recommendations ?

Do you have gas, my gas is 40% cheaper than my electricity per Btu, do
you have 120a open.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

If you are using electric water heating, now I wouldn't bother. There is not
really any gain in economy.

Your lights may dim and you could overload your electric service, depending
on how modern your wiring / fuse panel is.

I doubt you will have enough hot water supply to supply a shower and a dish
washer at the same time.
My rinnai gas unit runs 185,000 BTU and it can be "just barely enough"
sometimes.

Learn the BTU math and get educated so they can't sell you the "infinite
supply of hot water" BS. If your water comes form the ground at 45F your BTU
cannot produce as much volume due to a limited BTU rating. Do the math.

There is also (in a gas unit moreso) a delay in reecognizing water demand so
if you trun the tap on and off repeatedly you may never get hot water. This
inputs a cold water shot ("sandwich") in your pipes if you did this in the
shower.

"todd" wrote in message
home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or 3 x
40 amp
breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations / recommendations
?

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Josepi wrote:
[...]

Somebody nudge Josepi. He's stuck.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Apologies to all. Damn NNTP is screwing up and doesn't send confirm code.

Now this will probably not go through or repeat a dozen times...LOL

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Somebody nudge Josepi. He's stuck.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"Josepi" wrote in news:rbZIo.350$hy4.208
@newsfe17.iad:

Apologies to all. Damn NNTP is screwing up and doesn't send confirm code.

Now this will probably not go through or repeat a dozen times...LOL

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Somebody nudge Josepi. He's stuck.

Been having the same problem the past few days. I am using teranews as well
but wasn't sure of XNews was part of the issue. Since you are using OE,
XNews is probably not a contributor.

Maybe 1 out of 10 works properly.

If you haven't figured it out, just send and if Waiting... persists then
just Stop it. It has been sent and will show up. It will not show up in
your sent folder (Xnews anyway).
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On 10-11-29 05:34 AM, todd wrote:

home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or
3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations /
recommendations ?

Don't do it. A neighbour converted from electric water heat to a normal
gas fired tank. Her monthly electric bill went down by over three
hundred dollars...and that is at 8.3 cents for a kilowatt hour.

Hers was the 2 X 30A version of an 'instant' on water heater setup.

mike
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2010 8:36 PM, m II wrote:
On 10-11-29 05:34 AM, todd wrote:

home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or
3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations /
recommendations ?

Don't do it. A neighbour converted from electric water heat to a normal
gas fired tank. Her monthly electric bill went down by over three
hundred dollars...and that is at 8.3 cents for a kilowatt hour.

Hers was the 2 X 30A version of an 'instant' on water heater setup.

mike

She must have had a short circuit or something wrong with the unit.

$300 at 8.3 cents would be about 3600 kWh. That's on the order of 12
million BTU, enough to heat almost 15000 gallons of water from 40 degf
to 140 degf.

If she really uses that much hot-water in a month, that's one
loooonnnnggg shower :-)

daestrom

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On 10-12-02 03:57 PM, daestrom wrote:
On 11/30/2010 8:36 PM, m II wrote:
On 10-11-29 05:34 AM, todd wrote:

[...]

I messed up that posting. There were two heater elements installed in
the copper hot water line. Each was 240 volt 30 amps, So there were two
2 pole 30 amp breakers.

No storage tank at all. A thermostat, via a relay, would kick in the
elements. They were threaded into 1 inch 'T' fittings. This was nothing
like the newer Bosch or similar tankless units.

What she saved in installation costs was made up for very quickly by
energy usage. I don't remember if they had in floor heating or a hot tub
on top of the normal hot water demands.

mike

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 7:36*pm, m II wrote:
On 10-11-29 05:34 AM, todd wrote:

home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or
3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations /
recommendations ?

Don't do it. A neighbour converted from electric water heat to a normal
gas fired tank. Her monthly electric bill went down by over three
hundred dollars...and that is at 8.3 cents for a kilowatt hour.

Hers was the 2 X 30A version of an 'instant' on water heater setup.

mike

30 dollars ok, 300 no way unless she had a major short.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 8:13*am, ransley wrote:
On Nov 30, 7:36*pm, m II wrote:

On 10-11-29 05:34 AM, todd wrote:

home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or
3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations /
recommendations ?

Don't do it. A neighbour converted from electric water heat to a normal
gas fired tank. Her monthly electric bill went down by over three
hundred dollars...and that is at 8.3 cents for a kilowatt hour.

Hers was the 2 X 30A version of an 'instant' on water heater setup.

mike

30 dollars ok, 300 no way unless she had a major short.

ransley you dont know how many teenagers live there.......

neighbor may have converted to other gas appliances too, like stove
dryer and even furnace.....
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 08:49:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:13Â*am, ransley wrote:
On Nov 30, 7:36Â*pm, m II wrote:

On 10-11-29 05:34 AM, todd wrote:

home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or
3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations /
recommendations ?

Don't do it. A neighbour converted from electric water heat to a normal
gas fired tank. Her monthly electric bill went down by over three
hundred dollars...and that is at 8.3 cents for a kilowatt hour.

Hers was the 2 X 30A version of an 'instant' on water heater setup.

mike

30 dollars ok, 300 no way unless she had a major short.

ransley you dont know how many teenagers live there.......

neighbor may have converted to other gas appliances too, like stove
dryer and even furnace.....

My plumber friends say don't expect to save any money with a tankless
heater, long term.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 8:42*am, " wrote:
On Dec 6, 6:56*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
My plumber friends say don't expect to save any money with a tankless
heater, long term.

* * *Can you at least break even? I am more paranoid about the tank
breaking and I don't find it for awhile.

Energy savings wasn't a consideration for me - I needed the space
upstairs, and like you, was paranoid about a tank above my head.

put a leak alarm at the tank....

Who would hear it when you're out of town?

tanks generally last a long time.

so buy a 12 year warrantied tank and replace at 9 years.

Sage advice.

or add a drip pan or other protection in case the tank leaks

I had that - turns out the drain was plugged, so that wouldn't have
saved my bacon anyway.

and who is to say a tankless NEVER LEAKS?

Mine's outside now, so the lawn will just get watered if it does!
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I am more paranoid about the tank
breaking and I don't find it for awhile.

any portion of your plumbing system is susceptible to catastrophic
failure. I suggest you broaden your paranoia.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:13 am, wrote:
On Nov 30, 7:36 pm, m wrote:

On 10-11-29 05:34 AM, todd wrote:

home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or
3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations /
recommendations ?

Don't do it. A neighbour converted from electric water heat to a normal
gas fired tank. Her monthly electric bill went down by over three
hundred dollars...and that is at 8.3 cents for a kilowatt hour.

Hers was the 2 X 30A version of an 'instant' on water heater setup.

mike

30 dollars ok, 300 no way unless she had a major short.

ransley you dont know how many teenagers live there.......

neighbor may have converted to other gas appliances too, like stove
dryer and even furnace.....

My plumber friends say don't expect to save any money with a tankless
heater, long term.

I hope to get my solar hot water up soon and have a tankless electric
that I'll put in after the solar tank. That would seem to be the best
use, to add a little extra heat when I've had some cloudy days.
Otherwise it would seem like a waste of money, although mine was given
to me. Heat losses from tanks can be minimized. No gas here or I'd go
back to a gas tank as natural gas is cheap these days. They gouged me a
few years back and I turned it off. Not an uncommon feeling!

Jeff

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...

Can you at least break even? I am more paranoid about the tank
breaking and I don't find it for awhile.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is
to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."

Just replace the anode rod every few years.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:19:47 -0600, "Daniel who wants to know"
wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
om...

Can you at least break even? I am more paranoid about the tank
breaking and I don't find it for awhile.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is
to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Just replace the anode rod every few years.

And the tankless can't leak???
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

wrote:
My plumber friends say don't expect to save any money with a tankless
heater, long term.

* * *Can you at least break even? I am more paranoid about the tank
breaking and I don't find it for awhile.

Energy savings wasn't a consideration for me - I needed the space
upstairs, and like you, was paranoid about a tank above my head.

put a leak alarm at the tank....

Who would hear it when you're out of town?

tanks generally last a long time.

so buy a 12 year warrantied tank and replace at 9 years.

Sage advice.

or add a drip pan or other protection in case the tank leaks

I had that - turns out the drain was plugged, so that wouldn't have
saved my bacon anyway.

and who is to say a tankless NEVER LEAKS?

Mine's outside now, so the lawn will just get watered if it does!

must be nice to live where it ever freezes.....

you can get a water leak sensor that turns off all the water in a
home, or calls the police or first responder.

my dad went on a cruise, my brother had the job of feeding dads dogs.

he stopped one day finding water running out the front door. had a
heck of a time getting door open.

2 feet of water filled home from a osmosis water filter. dogs had to
swim thru home

insurance fixed up home great, and new filter with drain pan was
added
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 11:49*am, " wrote:
On Dec 5, 8:13*am, ransley wrote:

On Nov 30, 7:36*pm, m II wrote:

On 10-11-29 05:34 AM, todd wrote:

home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or
3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power

has anyone installed these and what are your observations /
recommendations ?

Don't do it. A neighbour converted from electric water heat to a normal
gas fired tank. Her monthly electric bill went down by over three
hundred dollars...and that is at 8.3 cents for a kilowatt hour.

Hers was the 2 X 30A version of an 'instant' on water heater setup.

mike

30 dollars ok, 300 no way unless she had a major short.

ransley you dont know how many teenagers live there.......

neighbor may have converted to other gas appliances too, like stove
dryer and even furnace.....- Hide quoted text -

I'm with Ransley on this one. If you can cut your energy cost for
heating water in
a residence by $300 a month, by switching from electric at 8c kwh to
gas, something
is very wrong. You'd have to use an incredible amount of water to
make that possible.
Even if the gas were free, so you went to zero cost, it would have had
to cost $300
a month to heat water by electric to begin with. That's more like a
pool heater.