DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   adding a outlet to a dimmer switch (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/313873-adding-outlet-dimmer-switch.html)

anthony November 20th 10 09:06 PM

adding a outlet to a dimmer switch

I was wondering if it were possible to add a switch that would retain
my Dimmer for the overhead light in my bathroom and add an outlet to
it? I only see 2 wires attached to the Dimmer now. ..blanck and white.

RBM[_3_] November 20th 10 09:36 PM

"Anthony" wrote in message
I was wondering if it were possible to add a switch that would retain
my Dimmer for the overhead light in my bathroom and add an outlet to
it? I only see 2 wires attached to the Dimmer now. ..blanck and white.

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but if the two wires attached to the
dimmer are the only wires in the box, you cannot create a new outlet from
those wires. If there are other wires in the box, you probably can

[email protected] November 21st 10 03:37 AM

adding a outlet to a dimmer switch

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:06:56 -0800 (PST), Anthony
wrote:

I was wondering if it were possible to add a switch that would retain
my Dimmer for the overhead light in my bathroom and add an outlet to
it? I only see 2 wires attached to the Dimmer now. ..blanck and white.

Nope - you have a "drop" wired switch.

[email protected] November 28th 10 12:38 AM

adding a outlet to a dimmer switch

The wires are attached to the switch don't matter at all. What matters is
what wires come into the box. If there is only one piece of wire (with 2
to 4 conductors in it) you cannot add the recp.

Nate Nagel November 28th 10 12:45 AM

wrote:

I was wondering if it were possible to add a switch that would retain
my Dimmer for the overhead light in my bathroom and add an outlet to
it? I only see 2 wires attached to the Dimmer now. ..blanck and white.

Nope - you have a "drop" wired switch.

Well, if one of the wires attached to the switch is white, it's a fair
bet that it's a switch leg. Otherwise they'd both be black, and/or one
would be red.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

[email protected] November 28th 10 04:53 AM

adding a outlet to a dimmer switch

wrote:

I was wondering if it were possible to add a switch that would retain
my Dimmer for the overhead light in my bathroom and add an outlet to
it? I only see 2 wires attached to the Dimmer now. ..blanck and white.
Nope - you have a "drop" wired switch.

Well, if one of the wires attached to the switch is white, it's a fair
bet that it's a switch leg. Otherwise they'd both be black, and/or one
would be red.

nate

But of course NoSpam wouldn't know that, so he has to let us all know
he doesn't know.