Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Had local company lay porcelain tile floor but have questions on their work for the Pro's

"Alex" wrote in message
Hey Guys --

Last week had the laminate flooring pulled from our kitchen and entry
hallway (one larger area) and replaced with 18" porcelain tile which a
local flooring company put down for us. After the tile was done we
noticed the tile was very unlevel and the installer didn't use spacers
so the grout lines were uneven in some places, at time as much as 1/4"
difference between perpendicular lines. Also we chose a darker brown
grout color to match our laminate flooring and the tile which also has
a brown color, but the grout is very blotchy being brownish in some
areas but other areas almost gray to dirty white.

After running a level across the floor I marked about a dozen tiles
that were way unlevel, which the tile guy came out and replaced, but
in one or two places there just was no way to level the tile on all
sides since the neighboring tiles weren't level with each other. But
I can live with what's there now as far as the levels go.

As for the grout color the manager at the flooring place said it could
take up to a week for the grout to cure and for the color to come out,
but if it didn't look right they could come stain the grout to match
the color we chose.

So my biggest question is whether or not it's common for spacers to be
used. I've read spacers can't be used if the tiles are odd shapes,
but the tile we chose is perfectly 18"x18" with no variation. Also
should it take some time for the grout color to come in? And are
there any caveats to them staining the grout?

The floor company also said they only seal maybe 1% of the jobs they
do since the grout they use has something in it that helps prevent
stuff from absorbing in it, but should we look at sealing anyway?
Especially if they'll be staining the grout? This is a kitchen, and
given we have two toddlers I can see spills happening quite often.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions you guys have on all this. Take
care.

Flooring company & manager = subcontracted work. Might as well had a big
box store install it, flip a coin to see what kind of installer you will
get.

If you can tell the workmanship flaws, make no mistake, it was no pro who
installed it.