DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plastic windshield cleaner (golf cart) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/313809-plastic-windshield-cleaner-golf-cart.html)

[email protected] November 19th 10 08:55 PM

Plastic windshield cleaner (golf cart)

My golf cart plastic windshield has fog like streaks on both sides, in
different areas.
I used Novus plastic clean and shine, and vinegar and water; neither
helped. I never used Windex or a similar product with or without
alcohol.
Any products/ideas come to mind???

Frank[_13_] November 19th 10 09:14 PM

On 11/19/2010 3:55 PM, wrote:
My golf cart plastic windshield has fog like streaks on both sides, in
different areas.
I used Novus plastic clean and shine, and vinegar and water; neither
helped. I never used Windex or a similar product with or without
alcohol.
Any products/ideas come to mind???

Windex should be safe. Just test a small area.
But, it may need a buffing up if "fog" is erosion. I would look to auto
supply area store or like for something used for acrylic automobile lenses.

Frank[_13_] November 19th 10 09:24 PM

another thought

I used to buff up a plastic watch lens with tooth paste.
Abrasive is mild and fine enough not to scratch plastic.

Tegger[_3_] November 19th 10 09:48 PM

Plastic windshield cleaner (golf cart)

wrote in
:

My golf cart plastic windshield has fog like streaks on both sides, in
different areas.
I used Novus plastic clean and shine, and vinegar and water; neither
helped. I never used Windex or a similar product with or without
alcohol.
Any products/ideas come to mind???

Brasso metal polish. Works wonders on all sorts of clear plastics, from
watch cyrystals to instrument panel covers to whatever. The more you scrub,
the better it works.

--
Tegger

Tony Miklos[_2_] November 19th 10 10:09 PM

On 11/19/2010 3:55 PM, wrote:
My golf cart plastic windshield has fog like streaks on both sides, in
different areas.
I used Novus plastic clean and shine, and vinegar and water; neither
helped. I never used Windex or a similar product with or without
alcohol.
Any products/ideas come to mind???

Novus clean and shine only does that, it does not polish. Try a plastic
polish, Novus or other brand.

Evan[_3_] November 19th 10 11:36 PM

On Nov 19, 3:55*pm, wrote:
My golf cart plastic windshield has fog like streaks on both sides, in
different areas.
I used Novus plastic clean and shine, and vinegar and water; neither
helped. I never used Windex or a similar product with or without
alcohol.
Any products/ideas come to mind???

A picture is worth a thousand words here...

You could have damaged the coating on the plastic during
your "cleaning" attempts...

It could be something that can be buffed out with the right
compound or it could be something that has chemically
reacted with the coating and is now permanent...

~~ Evan

Joe November 20th 10 07:37 PM

On Nov 19, 2:55*pm, wrote:
My golf cart plastic windshield has fog like streaks on both sides, in
different areas.
I used Novus plastic clean and shine, and vinegar and water; neither
helped. I never used Windex or a similar product with or without
alcohol.
Any products/ideas come to mind???

Pick up some convertible plastic rear window cleaner at any autobody
supply store.

Joe

G Mulcaster November 21st 10 01:14 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:55:50 -0500, wrote:

My golf cart plastic windshield has fog like streaks on both sides, in
different areas.
I used Novus plastic clean and shine, and vinegar and water; neither
helped. I never used Windex or a similar product with or without
alcohol.
Any products/ideas come to mind???

Motorcyclists with their plastic (lexan) windscreens will tell you
to use Lemon Pledge. Pledge will also fill in minor imperfections; it
may help with your streaks.

Paper towels should not be used. Instead, use cotton rags which will
not abrade the plastic. I use old T shirts.

Avoid glass cleaners. Some types will damage plastic.

Motorcycle shops have various formulations available for windscreens;
however, they are expensive.

I have been using Pledge for years on my bikes.

Gary