Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating basement sill plate/header?

Hi.
I'm considering adding insulation to my basement's sill plate and
header (immediately above the concrete block and below the 1st floor's
subfloor). I've read plenty of posts and books that suggest I use
spray foam or rigid/extruded polystyrene sheets. The problem I see is
that many (a little less than 1/2) of the "bays" between floor joists
have baseboard heat water pipes going up to the first and second
floor. The pipes are *right* against the header and therefore there's
no way I could add insulation between those pipes and the header. The
header looks to be a 2x10, and there's sheathing and aluminum siding
beyond that. No exterior insulation. My question is, if I insulate
those bays, will I increase the risk of having one of those baseboard
pipes freeze? Insulating those bays will pretty much seal off the
pipe from the "warmth" of the basement.
Anyone encounter the same situation?
Thanks
Theodore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:54:41 -0800 (PST), millinghill
wrote:

[...]

We did my daughter's basement, installing Styrofoam SM panels and
rock-wool insulation except for the bay that had water pipes in it -
which we left un-insulated to prevent higher risk of water freezing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

which we left un-insulated to prevent higher risk of water freezing.- Hide quoted text -

I would not insulate any sections wehere there are pipes, even if they
ccarry hot water. Not worth the risk. If you could slide even a thin
piece of insulation between the pipes and the outside, I would do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Correct- you do NOT want any water pipes on the outside of the insulated
envelope. I've known a few people that have been burned like that.
Insulate as best you can in those bays- maybe a chunk of that foil-faced
thin insulation board if there is any room at all, or a sheet of metal
or foil against the header, and caulk the heck out of any air leaks.
That was sloppy work on the HVAC crew's part- the pipes should have been
held in a couple of inches.

--
aem sends...