Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wet/dry vac

Already looking towards winter, making removing snow easier.

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk & drive. What size
canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon would do it without
emptying frequently?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mel Letzler wrote:
Already looking towards winter, making removing snow easier.

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk & drive. What size
canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon would do it without
emptying frequently?

Sounds like it would take forever compared to a shovel. One vacuum full would be
maybe 2 shovels full.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-13, Mel Letzler wrote:

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk & drive. What size
canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon would do it without
emptying frequently?

Doesn't sound like a valid concept. If it were, there'd be three
dozen brands on the market and a hundred models to get yer $$$$.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 9:54*pm, "Mel Letzler" wrote:
Already looking towards winter, making removing snow easier.

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk & drive. What size
canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon would do it without
emptying frequently?

I am sure you do not live in Canada but if you do you should consider
a 200 gallons drum and it is the minimum I would recommend. ;oP

VD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mel Letzler" wrote in news:ibkukh$182$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Already looking towards winter, making removing snow easier.

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk & drive. What size
canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon would do it without
emptying frequently?

On vehicles & porches I've been using a blower for years. Works great most
of the time. Occasional heavy wet snow can be a challenge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 10:13*pm, Red Green wrote:
"Mel Letzler" wrote in news:ibkukh$182$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Already looking towards winter, making removing snow easier.

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk & drive. What size
canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon would do it without
emptying frequently?

On vehicles & porches I've been using a blower for years. Works great most
of the time. Occasional heavy wet snow can be a challenge.

If you get out early enough before the snow has a chance to compact, a
leaf blower works quite well, assuming that the driveway is less than
100 feet long and only one car wide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 21:54:17 -0500, "Mel Letzler" wrote:

Already looking towards winter, making removing snow easier.

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk & drive. What size
canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon would do it without
emptying frequently?

Consider a small driveway, 12' wide and 50' long (600 ft^2) and a 6" snowfall.
That's 300 ft^3, or about 2400 gallons. You'll only have to empty your vacuum
150 times. Go for it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2010 11:13 PM, Red Green wrote:
"Mel wrote in news:ibkukh$182$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Already looking towards winter, making removing snow easier.

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk& drive. What size
canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon would do it without
emptying frequently?

On vehicles& porches I've been using a blower for years. Works great most
of the time. Occasional heavy wet snow can be a challenge.

I'll second that. I use my leaf blower more in winter on snow, than I do
on leaves in fall. As long as it is less than a couple inches and dry
(which most snowfalls the last couple of winters around here have been),
I can blow the drive and front walk quicker than I can shovel it, and it
is a lot easier on my back. Even for deep snowfalls where I have to fire
up the snow thrower, I use the blower to clear the thin patch under the
overhang up near the garage door, to get room to turn the snow thrower
around. I only have to break out the shovel for the wet stuff. And
because I was stupid and bought a house with a sloping driveway, I have
to clear it even for a 2" snowfall, otherwise I'm driving uphill on
stripes of ice when I get home. If it snows while I am not home, I have
to park in street until I can clear it- cost me a transmission learning
that one.

As to vehicles- I park them inside at night, which by itself makes
owning a house seem worthwhile. I only have to scrape cars if it snows
during the day while I am at work, which only seems to happen one
snowfall out of about 4 lately around here, for some reason.

--
aem, keeping fingers crossed for a very mild winter, sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Mel Letzler typed:
Already looking towards winter, making removing snow easier.

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk & drive.
What size canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon
would do it without emptying frequently?

Won't work but it might be an interesting experiment. I've tried same along
my garage doors; open door, vacuum only loose, light snow, get shovel, clear
snow.