Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

Default Furnace Output Pipe - How Loud Is Yours?

On Nov 3, 2:21*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a Goodman 90+ furnace with a 3" PVC output pipe, which ends in
vertical T.

Here's a side view, with W being the wall:

W * * * |
W-------|
W * * * |

I've always thought that it makes more noise than it should when the
furnace is on. It's sounds like a steam pipe at a factory.

If I were to compare it to anything, I'd say it is 3 - 4 times louder
than my AC compressor.

Is that normal?

Mine is noisy, but I had no need to quiet it. Resonances can make
things worse,
and sharp exit point will make it worse. You can put a muffler on it.
Why vertical T ?
Odd thing people do. Put your hand over the top exit and see if
it improves sound. A muffler is made with a larger pipe, preferably
with a bend, with a lining of fiberglass
around the perimeter then a reduction in pipe size. You want the exit
to be smaller
than the main pipe size. You have TWICE the exit size as your main
pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Nov 5, 10:24*am, zek wrote:
[...]

I am waiting for a reply ????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 10:11*am, zek wrote:
On Nov 5, 10:24*am, zek wrote:

[...]

I am waiting for a reply ????- Hide quoted text -

"I am waiting for a reply ????"

Since that's appears to be a question, I'll answer.

Yes, you are waiting for a reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Nov 8, 2:13*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]