Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cast iron radiators

On Nov 1, 10:22*pm, Joe wrote:
On Nov 1, 6:54*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:

On 11/1/2010 5:26 AM, harry wrote:

On Nov 1, 12:21 am, *wrote:
Wow a lot of points have been brought up but I'm only going to cover

snip

With boilers, sometimes you pay for convenience with efficiency.

That makes a lot of sense. Big firebox.

Add in uninsulated space, uninsulated firebox and just a damper.

How is the air regulated to the firebox? Do you think a lot of heat is
going up the chimney?

Possibly, you can fix some of these.

* *Jeff

The boiler IS insulated. *When temp drops 10 degrees or so the damper
opens.

Too big is somethng I cant fix. But to answer someone's earler
question or comment I never stuff the box. I've been experimenting
with putting less and less wood in it, but what I really need is a
smaller boiler (again). *i could have had a smaller one, and now I'm
kicking myself for not getting it, and its way too late now. *But I
cant fully blame myself because they lied their asses off and said
this one would save me something like 30% wood.

Haha.

What do you have the upper water limit temperature set at? How old
are the radiators in your system? Any possibility that you could post
some pictures of the boiler setup and a typical radiator?