Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New GE hybrid bulb

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-both-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280
or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2010 12:51 PM, willshak wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-both-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280

or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

Gotta assume it costs twice as much.
Wonder if they got out the cfl hum?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/10 01:36 pm, Frank wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-both-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280

or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

Gotta assume it costs twice as much.
Wonder if they got out the cfl hum?

Neither I nor SWMBO (whose hearing is far better than mine) have/has
ever noticed a hum from CFL bulbs.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 12:51:37 -0400, willshak
wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-both-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280
or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

I was hoping for a lamp with an extra boost for reading. The instant
on is not as important for me.

And getting more fancy and expensive, it should go back to dim after
an hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/g...bulb-with-both
-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280

or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

Gotta assume it costs twice as much.
Wonder if they got out the cfl hum?

My experience is that most CFLs have had essentially zero audible hum
ever since the spiral models became common around 2001-2002 or so.
--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/g...ulb-with-both-
halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280
or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

I was hoping for a lamp with an extra boost for reading. The instant
on is not as important for me.

And getting more fancy and expensive, it should go back to dim after
an hour.

3-way CFLs equivalent or nearly-enough-so to 50-100-150-watt 3-way
incandescents are now common. Some drift towards 65-110-150
"incandescent equivalence" or something like that, since the CFL
electronics allows 3rd to not necessarily equal the sum of 2nd and 1st.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , willshak wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/g...ulb-with-both-
halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280

or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

Interesting - I wish I thought about that!

Not only does the halogen provide light while the CFL is warming up, but
also its heat speeds up the CFL's warmup process.

Meanwhile, the article mentions the halogen as solving the problem of
starting time. However, some people fail to discern the 2 separate issues
of starting time (instant to about a second sometimes closer to 2 seconds)
and warmup time (~35 seconds to 2-plus minutes). It appears to me that
the halogen part is directed more to the warmup time issue, though it also
most-of-the-way solves the starting time issue should the CFL not start
instantly or within 1/4 second.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2010 12:15 PM Percival P. Cassidy spake thus:

On 10/24/10 01:36 pm, Frank wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-both-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280

or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

Gotta assume it costs twice as much.
Wonder if they got out the cfl hum?

Neither I nor SWMBO (whose hearing is far better than mine) have/has
ever noticed a hum from CFL bulbs.

Nor have I. But then I'm getting to be an old fart. I used to be able to
at least *sense* the 15kHz whine of TV sets ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-both-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280

or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

If you can't wait 2 seconds for a CFL you have real issues.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-both-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280
or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

I was hoping for a lamp with an extra boost for reading. The instant
on is not as important for me.

And getting more fancy and expensive, it should go back to dim after
an hour.

I was in Lightbulb Depot one day and the counterman showed me an 80 watt
CFL. It was the size of a football and it put out a lot of light.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote the following:
On 10/24/2010 12:51 PM, willshak wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-both-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280

or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

Gotta assume it costs twice as much.
Wonder if they got out the cfl hum?

I have had them for years in all kinds of lamps and fixtures. Table
lamps, desk lamps, and lensed high hats, and in all positions; straight
up, sideways, and upside down, both inside and outside, Summer and
Winter, and I have never heard a single one hum.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 6:51*pm, LSMFT wrote:
willshak wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-bot...main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280

or:http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

If you can't wait 2 seconds for a CFL you have real issues.

I dunno. We just replaced the bulbs in the chandelier above the
kitchen table with CFLs, and I'll be darned if I don't flip the switch
twice, thinking I've got the wrong one since it doesn't come on
'immediately' any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 18:51:32 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

willshak wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/ge-introduces-hybrid-bulb-with-both-halogen-and-cfl-elements/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec3_lnk3|179280

or: http://tinyurl.com/2eqh6vp

If you can't wait 2 seconds for a CFL you have real issues.

As Don Klipstein mentions (and the article fails to, showing that they
don't really understand what they're writing about), the issue isn't
1-2 seconds of startup.

I put 15W BR-30 (65W equivalent) CFLs in the 6 can lights in our
kitchen. They come on fairly quickly (some instantly, some a second
or so later), but are quite dim for at least 2-3 minutes, sometimes
longer. Maybe 1/4 brightness at first. I've tried a few different
brands; they all do this to varying degrees.

I believe this is more of an issue with the enclosed bulbs (as these
are), although there's some ramp-up time with the other types also;
maybe starting at 80-90% instead, which might not be as noticable.

It's very annoying when you want to pop into the kitchen for
something; we tend to just leave the lights on until we're sure we're
done in there for the night, which lessens the savings. I've thought
about a "hybrid" myself, and would definitely try these.

Josh

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 8:05 pm, willshak wrote:

I have had them for years in all kinds of lamps and fixtures. Table
lamps, desk lamps, and lensed high hats, and in all positions; straight
up, sideways, and upside down, both inside and outside, Summer and
Winter, and I have never heard a single one hum.

--

Andy comments:

That's because they all know the words.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 23:48:50 -0700, Josh wrote:

[snip]

I believe this is more of an issue with the enclosed bulbs (as these
are),

I think so. I've used a lot of CFLs and the ONLY ones that took more than
a second to reach acceptable brightness are enclosed (floodlights).

[snip]

--
61 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Just say NO to religion." -- Dan Barker