Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seamless Epoxy Flooring

I passed a truck on the way in today. From what I could make out, it
was from a seamless epoxy flooring company in my area. I thought this
might be a good way to re-surface my laundry room floor.

The current floor is ceramic one-inch-square tiles over plywood. There
are a few small areas where the tile has come off so it needs to be
redone. Having scraped all the little ceramic tiles off the kitchen
and dining room floors about eight years ago, I'd prefer an
alternative to getting down to the bare wood and re-tiling.

I googled the subject but have more research to do. Does anyone here
have experience with this sort of flooring? Am I right in thinking
that it would fill the gaps and stick to the existing tiles?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 9:02*am, Pavel314 wrote:
I passed a truck on the way in today. From what I could make out, it
was from a seamless epoxy flooring company in my area. I thought this
might be a good way to re-surface my laundry room floor.

The current floor is ceramic one-inch-square tiles over plywood. There
are a few small areas where the tile has come off so it needs to be
redone. Having scraped all the little ceramic tiles off the kitchen
and dining room floors about eight years ago, I'd prefer an
alternative to getting down to the bare wood and re-tiling.

I googled the subject but have more research to do. Does anyone here
have experience with this sort of flooring? Am I right in thinking
that it would fill the gaps and stick to the existing tiles?

It would a lot since you'd need so much epoxy, and you'd still have an
inferior solution as the weakest link rules - you already have tile
coming loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 10:05*am, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

Rico,
What's your experience with this kind of floor?
TB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 2:57*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Epoxying over a tile floor with loose and/or missing tile, and hoping
to get a reasonable result? Zilch. I'm not much for ****ing in the
wind.

The warning bells go off when the OP mentioned small tiles over
plywood and some of them had come up. It's a failed installation from
the get go, and there's no point in throwing good money after bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I passed a truck on the way in today. From what I could make out, it
was from a seamless epoxy flooring company in my area. I thought this
might be a good way to re-surface my laundry room floor.

The current floor is ceramic one-inch-square tiles over plywood. There
are a few small areas where the tile has come off so it needs to be
redone. Having scraped all the little ceramic tiles off the kitchen
and dining room floors about eight years ago, I'd prefer an
alternative to getting down to the bare wood and re-tiling.

I googled the subject but have more research to do. Does anyone here
have experience with this sort of flooring? Am I right in thinking
that it would fill the gaps and stick to the existing tiles?

If you're asking how to re-do the floor, then the answer is:

1. Remove the bad stuff*
2. Make a decision about the replacement (Ceramic tile, vinyl tile,
linoleum, laminate, etc.).

*The "bad stuf" - in your case teeny tiles - might be made easier with a
Harbor Freight Miracle Tool. Or, if you want to spend more money, an
pneumatic tile remover (about $90.00).

Alternatively, you could just cover what's there with thinset and lay
ceramic tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Pavel314" wrote in message
I passed a truck on the way in today. From what I could make out, it
was from a seamless epoxy flooring company in my area. I thought this
might be a good way to re-surface my laundry room floor.

The current floor is ceramic one-inch-square tiles over plywood. There
are a few small areas where the tile has come off so it needs to be
redone. Having scraped all the little ceramic tiles off the kitchen
and dining room floors about eight years ago, I'd prefer an
alternative to getting down to the bare wood and re-tiling.

I googled the subject but have more research to do. Does anyone here
have experience with this sort of flooring? Am I right in thinking
that it would fill the gaps and stick to the existing tiles?

Paul

Many years ago I had that type of floor put down in my basement over a
cement floor. It was a disaster....The problem was that moisture coming up
through the cement floor got trapped under the "seamless floor' causing it
to bubble in many places. When the bubbles were punctured a stream of water
squirted out. The ultimate solution was to drill hundreds of tiny holes
through the seamless floor so as to allow the moisture to escape.
Previously on the floor, we had asphalt tile and currently ceramic tile
without any problems. We also had the seamless floor put down on our kitchen
floor (over linoleum). That worked out just fine. It was durable and
lasted for quite a long time.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 2:02*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I passed a truck on the way in today. From what I could make out, it
was from a seamless epoxy flooring company in my area. I thought this
might be a good way to re-surface my laundry room floor.

The current floor is ceramic one-inch-square tiles over plywood. There
are a few small areas where the tile has come off so it needs to be
redone. Having scraped all the little ceramic tiles off the kitchen
and dining room floors about eight years ago, I'd prefer an
alternative to getting down to the bare wood and re-tiling.

I googled the subject but have more research to do. Does anyone here
have experience with this sort of flooring? Am I right in thinking
that it would fill the gaps and stick to the existing tiles?

Paul

I have had epoxy floors laid in industrial situations . They are
extremely hard wearing, easy to maintain, attractive appearance and
antislip grit can be incorporated. However it needs a really good
concrete base, it's no good put down on any old crap, it would just
break up. The material is expensive but it's cheap to lay as it's
self leveling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 5:25*am, harry wrote:
[...]

Thanks.
You answered the question I intended to ask Rico.
TB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 4:47*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 20, 2:57*pm, " wrote:

[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

I should have mentioned that the small tiles have been there for at
least thirty years, probably a lot more, so they were fairly durable,
just not immortal.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 5:37*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll look into a pneumatic tile remover. When I did the
kitchen and living room, I used an ice scrapper, a flat metal blade on
a long wooden pole. Having had carpal tunnel surgery since then, I'm
not sure that my wrists are up to all the impact anymore.

pli
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 9:34*am, Pavel314 wrote:
On Oct 20, 5:37*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

The pneumatic will also be tough on your wrists. It's simple work, so
hire a local kid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

have you looked at pebbletec floors? they're epoxy coated pebbles, porous,
and poured out and leveled.