Posted to alt.home.repair

Default strange locks

?Perhaps someone can fill me in on the manufacturer of some very strange
locks on a house we just purchased. I've never encountered locksets like
this before.

The mortised part has no name or code on it. The mechanism is odd: there
is a lever handle inside and outside the door, with a keyed tumbler below
the handle on the outside and knob on the inside. There is both a deadbolt
and latch in the mortised mechanism. To operate the unlocked door, you
depress the lever on either the inside or outside to withdraw the latch. To
lock, however, you RAISE the lever, extending the deadbolt. If you do not
then lock via the tumber or knob, depressing the lever will withdraw the
deadbolt and retract the latch. However, if the key or knob are turned to
the lock position, then the handle cannot be depressed, and thus the door
stays locked via the deadbolt.

The material seems to be a blackened brass, but I'm not sure.

On two French doors to the outside, we have the same hardware. However, the
setup on what would typically be the Dummy door is active. Using the same
philosophy of "raise the lever to extend deadbolt, depress lever to withdraw
deadbolt when key not locked." the deadbolt for the dummy door is actually
completely inside the door and extends upward into the upper jamb and
downward into the threshold. In other words, the dummy lever/handle locks
the inactive door by extending deadbolts both up and down.

Any ideas of the brand name, who makes it or who might service it when/if it
breaks?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 1:07*am, "Mark M" wrote:
[...]

When identifying door hardware pictures are worth a thousand words...

Also you might find a manufacturer name under the decorative plate
over the mortise lock set body on the edge of the door...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark M wrote:
[...]

So you can't lock yourself out without a key? Not so strange.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mark M wrote:

...who might service it when/if it breaks?

errr, a locksmith????