Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lighting a pavillion for picnic

On 10/11/2010 2:58 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Reminds me. I've got two UPS with dead batteries. I'd been meaning to
wire one with a marine trolling battery. I'd still like to, but I
can't justify the $100 or so for the battery.

And the flashlight test is good. What do you do, to stay occupied?
Read book? The four day power cut in 2003, I wrote a lot of letters.
Even mailed some of them.

If the electricity was off, how'd you use your word processor?

Hand crank.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 20:16:00 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Oct 8, 9:48Â*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Â* Â*http://landerwoodswimclub.org/pavillion.jpg
Â* Â* Â*This isn't the one where I was, but it's the same general
idea. The church single adult hayride and campfire was held
tonight. The host family has an aluminum structure some
what like this. About 10 metal picnic tables under the
aluminum roof.
Â* Â* Of course, there wasn't light. The farmer had headlights
on his tractor, and I had a ten dollar camping lantern from
Walmart. There wasn't a good atachment point under the
roof. There were a couple eye bolts, along the side. I used
a bungee cord from there.
Â* Â* The farmer and I discussed it. He's playing with the idea
of some LED lights under the eaves, and run a power cord
from the tractor . I suggested a two mantle propane camping
lantern, which is plenty bright. He added that a pulley and
rope in the center would be good. Run the light down for
lighting, and up for use.
Â* Â* We're going to have another picnic same time next year.
And, I may wish to be lighting up a pavillion in the meantime.
What are good lighting options?
Â* Â* Â*Propane lantern is good. I'm also thinking of some other
fluorescent lamps. Come to think of it, I've got a couple 12
volt mechanics work lights, and I've got a 12 volt jumper
pack. I could climb up, and bend a coat hanger, to suspend
the work light from the ceiling.

Somehow LEDs and a hay-ride don't seem to go together.

I'd get a half-dozen old-timey Kerosene lanterns, or one for each table.
They don't put out a lot of light, but that's appropriate for the
atmosphere.

They have other uses.

Some fool came down my street and hit the light pole in front of my house.
The force of the collision completely uprooted a thirty-foot tall street
light and landed it in my yard!

I called the light company a couple of times, but a week went by without
them paying much attention to the issue.

So I got a 12' tree branch, put a small Kerosene lantern on one of the
branches, and stuck the other end in the hole left by the extracted light
pole.

I took a picture and emailed the snapshot (with the lantern burning bright)
to the public relations office of Centerpoint (the power company). Mentioned
I thought this might make a good human-interest story for the local TV
folks.

You can imagine what happened next.

A week ?

Wow, ****sakes, you don't say...

They might not have fully investigated the incident yet and decided
whether
to fix it and await reimbursement in a year or two by the motorist's
insurance
carrier, or make a direct claim for damages and see that the insurance
carrier pays for all replacement costs...

A week is not a very long time, they possibly might not have had that
exact
type of pole and light in stock and ordered one...

I hope that in response to your thinly veiled threat you got a much
uglier
pole and were referred for a building/wiring permit violation for
erecting your
own non-UL listed highway lighting device to try and blackmail the
utility
company into moving faster...

Maybe the next "car accident" on your street should crash into your
house and you can experience first hand being on the receiving end
of being out on your ass while your home is inspected by structural
engineers to ensure it is safe for continued occupancy on a time table
that them local or regional building inspector's office determines...

Having something laying in your yard kinda pales in comparison to
not being able to live in your own house while the public officials
determine whether or not it is still safe...

Sometimes it is nicer to "not be a dick" and wait for the responsible
party to handle their problems the way that they normally handle
them...
Even if that means being temporarily inconvenienced for a period of
time...

~~ Evan

No new pole or not, the OLD pole should have been removed PRONTO -
and definitely would have been in my area. Might have taken a week or
two to get the replacement installed - but GENERALLY less than 48
hours- - - - - - .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ancients like me use something called a "manual type writer". Ask
someone elderly what that is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Read book? The four day power cut in 2003, I wrote a lot of
letters.
Even mailed some of them.

If the electricity was off, how'd you use your word processor?

Hand crank.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a secret. Can't tell anyone, or the whole world will know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

And the flashlight test is good. What do you do, to stay occupied?
Read book? The four day power cut in 2003, I wrote a lot of letters.
Even mailed some of them.

If the electricity was off, how'd you use your word processor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lighting a pavillion for picnic (follow up)

As of now, the most practical answer seems to be battery lanterns. I'm
going to build a couple metal rod hooks, so I can suspend the lantens
from the peak inside the roof. Thanks to all, for a lot of good ideas.
And some wise acre responses, which I also enjoyed.

I may also pack two tea lights, and a birthday candle. With faith,
that will light the entire area.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:37:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Ancients like me use something called a "manual type writer". Ask
someone elderly what that is.

Gee, I must be REALLY ancient - I use a ball-point pen.
The REAL ancients used a fountain pen/ cartridge pen/quill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oddly enough, I used to have a couple fountain pens. I had a couple
that put together like a pocket size pen with cap. And some of the old
dip in ink kinds.

Ball point pens. How quaint. Bang your cane on the floor if you have a
hard time hearing, OK?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Ancients like me use something called a "manual type writer". Ask
someone elderly what that is.

Gee, I must be REALLY ancient - I use a ball-point pen.
The REAL ancients used a fountain pen/ cartridge pen/quill

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/8/2010 5:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Get a deep cycle 115AH 12 volt (1300WH) battery and string some 12V MR16
lamps around. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how long
they need to run. You can buy standard incandescent MR16 20W flood lamps
for less than $1.50 each. You could run 10 of them for several hours
from a marine battery. You can buy LED MR16 lamps but they're much more
expensive.

Probably four propane lanterns would be the most cost effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lighting a pavilion for picnic

Rent or borrow a generator from an Amish carpenter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Learn how to spell pavilion.or use spell check !

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a deep cycle 115AH 12 volt (1300WH) battery and string some 12V
MR16
lamps around. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how
long
they need to run.

CY: Spend: As little as possible. How long: About two hours. We
arrived at 6 PM, and the meeting broke up about 8 PM. About an hour of
that needed light.

You can buy standard incandescent MR16 20W flood lamps
for less than $1.50 each. You could run 10 of them for several hours
from a marine battery. You can buy LED MR16 lamps but they're much
more
expensive.

CY: That's an excellent idea. The wiring wouldn't be too bad. The
farmer was thinking to run some kind of 12 volt lights, and then be
able to power the lights off a tractor or golf cart.

Probably four propane lanterns would be the most cost effective.

CY: Yes, that's better. As small as the pavillion is, one propane
lantern would do the job nicely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(Jerry - OHIO) wrote:

Rent or borrow a generator from an Amish carpenter.

Are those horse-drawn?

Picnic Table [email protected] Woodworking 3 September 29th 06 01:53 AM
LCD Backlight repair on a HP Pavillion N5350 laptop [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 May 16th 06 03:47 AM
Opening an HP pavillion ? Fred Bartoli Electronics Repair 5 May 16th 05 02:38 PM
Picnic Lewis Dodd Woodturning 7 February 4th 04 09:42 PM
HP Pavillion MX75 monitor Bill Electronics Repair 4 November 29th 03 07:31 AM