DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT I thought I was using my credit card free. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/311281-ot-i-thought-i-using-my-credit-card-free.html)

notbob October 8th 10 07:25 PM

On 2010-10-08, SMS wrote:

Thankfully, most stores no longer require that you sign the credit card
receipt for smaller amounts. That held up the lines.

I found this out when I refused to sign my signature on a computer
digitzer and the clerk at the speedy mkt told me they didn't need my
sig for purchases under $25. Same for most drive thru food chains. I
also notice gas stations will usually allow you to buy $75-100 max
purchase with no sig required if you use the card at the pump.

I refuse to allow my signature to be digitized. Regardless
of what the clueless clerks try and tell you, the system will still
spit out a hard copy (paper) receipt you can sign. If they refuse,
cancel the purchase and walk away. If they want your purchase,
they'll find someone who knows how the system works. If not, screw
'em.

nb

Percival P. Cassidy October 8th 10 07:51 PM

On 10/08/10 02:25 pm, notbob wrote:

Thankfully, most stores no longer require that you sign the credit card
receipt for smaller amounts. That held up the lines.

I found this out when I refused to sign my signature on a computer
digitzer and the clerk at the speedy mkt told me they didn't need my
sig for purchases under $25. Same for most drive thru food chains. I
also notice gas stations will usually allow you to buy $75-100 max
purchase with no sig required if you use the card at the pump.

I refuse to allow my signature to be digitized. Regardless
of what the clueless clerks try and tell you, the system will still
spit out a hard copy (paper) receipt you can sign. If they refuse,
cancel the purchase and walk away. If they want your purchase,
they'll find someone who knows how the system works. If not, screw
'em.

Difficult to cancel the purchase when you've already pumped the gas.

Perce

notbob October 8th 10 07:52 PM

On 2010-10-08, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Difficult to cancel the purchase when you've already pumped the gas.

Even more difficult to post an intelligent reply when you haven't read
the post you're replying to.

nb

SMS October 8th 10 08:41 PM

On 2010-10-08, wrote:

Thankfully, most stores no longer require that you sign the credit card
receipt for smaller amounts. That held up the lines.

I found this out when I refused to sign my signature on a computer
digitzer and the clerk at the speedy mkt told me they didn't need my
sig for purchases under $25. Same for most drive thru food chains. I
also notice gas stations will usually allow you to buy $75-100 max
purchase with no sig required if you use the card at the pump.

I refuse to allow my signature to be digitized.

Why do you care? You can sign it "Mickey Mouse" and it will still go
through. And actually the hard copy is much more likely to be used
fraudulently.

SMS October 8th 10 08:43 PM

On 2010-10-08, wrote:

In Northern California, the Arco gasoline is Shell gasoline. Arco has no
refinery in Northern California and all their fuel comes from Shell.

I know not where in NorCal you are, but in SFBA, that is not the case.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, the Arco stations are supplied by the
Shell refinery. That's not to say that Arco could not specify different
additives than what Shell uses, but it's unlikely.

[email protected] October 8th 10 08:50 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 21:19:41 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 10/7/2010 8:18 PM, Bob F wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
On 10/7/2010 6:35 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station
charges, not on the credit card side.

I have always understood that it is a violation of the merchant's
agreement with the card issuer (at least with MC and Visa) to add a
surcharge for using a card. OTOH, it seems not to be a violation of
that agreement to give a discount for cash.

That all changed this week when a federal court allowed merchants to
charge different amounts even for different cards! For example, not
all Visa cards are the same. Those with magnificent rewards programs
charge the merchant more.

Now the merchant will be allowed to charge differently not only on
cash vs card, but card vs card.

Good. Maybe the merchants will get ****ed off enough to stop taking
plastic, and the rest of us won't have to wait in line behind people
charging a five-dollar breakfast. IMHO, for in-person sales, CC should
have at least a 20-buck minimum.

Most places I use them, cards really speed things up. By the time the prices are
scanned, the card is read and ready.

Only true if they don't require a signature. Many places around here
still do, even for trivial purchases. And I don't mean signing the POS
terminal- they print out paper.

Some old hillbillies still take 5 minutes to scratch their "X" on the
reciept??

SMS October 8th 10 08:53 PM

On 2010-10-08, wrote:
price (and the Arco doesn't take credit cards at all).

Only in CA. Cross the border into NV and Arco stations do, indeed,
take credit cards.

Actually there are some Arco stations in California that will also take
credit cards. In South San Francisco, the Arco on Gellert and
Westborough was taking them a few years ago, not sure if they still are.
They were trying to compete with the Valero across the street which
charged the same price as Arco but took credit cards and had pay at the
pump. According to the Arco station owner that I know, he is free to
take credit cards if he wants to, but he absorbs all the costs of doing
so, not Arco, and he cannot increase the price of the gasoline to cover
those costs (he actually would take a credit card if someone asked him
and the person was out of cash, but he doesn't advertise that fact).
Arco has "policies" regarding how much over the wholesale price their
franchisees are allowed to charge. If a station doesn't follow the
"policies" they will find their wholesale price going up. So in general
it's better for the Arco stations to just write off the lost customers
that insist on credit cards, since if they accepted them then a lot of
the cash customers would also switch to credit cards.

OTOH, some other states like CO, where I now live, have no concept of
basic CA style ATM (NOT debit!) cards which you can use almost
universally in CA. I tried to get an ATM card at a bank that also has
branches in CA. I was told by a handfull of new acct reps that no
such animal existed. I told them I'd been using an ATM card to buy
retail items at most retail stores and the head bitch told me she'd
been in the banking industry for 25 yrs and no such ATM card existed
in the US banking industry. I just got up and left. Apparently, the
only thing an ATM card is good for, here, is to withdraw cash from
YOUR acct at YOUR bank's ATM machine, period.

Nope. I do not take the Visa/MC logo debit cards from my banks,
insisting on an ATM card only. I've used it at stores, well one store
anyway, Pet Club, which does not take credit cards.

It's hard to figure why anyone would want to use a debit card as opposed
to a credit card since you lose consumer protections, it's much more
risky in terms of fraud, and the rebates aren't nearly as good. I get a
2% flat rate rebate on my Visa card now.

SMS October 8th 10 08:56 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

On 10/8/2010 10:25 AM, Frank wrote:

snip

Which is why I never pay cash at a gas station but use my credit card
at the pump.
Besides people like that there are the ones buying Slurpies and
burritos or whatever other junk food is offered and you end up wasting
10 minutes of your time.

The Arco in Oakdale, CA is the worst. It's the last cheap gas before
Yosemite, and they typically have one cashier for 16 pumps and the AM/PM
Mini-Market. Getting change is the issue, since you can insert cash into
the cash acceptor machine to pay. I stopped going there, and go to the
more expensive station across the street, which is really no more
expensive when I factor in the 4% credit card rebate on gasoline.

[email protected] October 8th 10 08:57 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:15:13 -0700, SMS

snip

I have always understood that it is a violation of the merchant's
agreement with the card issuer (at least with MC and Visa) to add a
surcharge for using a card. OTOH, it seems not to be a violation of that
agreement to give a discount for cash.

Surcharges for credit cards violated the merchant agreement. Discounts
for cash, or prices posted for both credit cards and cash, did not. Of
course it's the same exact effect in terms of the price, but the point
is that the merchant can't post a price for an item, then add a
surcharge. They can post a price and give a discount, or post two prices.

The credit card companies do everything in their power to make using a
credit card the most desirable way to pay for the consumer, but of
course it costs the merchant money, and since nearly all merchants take
credit cards, the cost of goods reflects these charges. The result is
that it's best for the consumer to use a rewards credit card to buy
virtually everything. I get 2% back on Visa card purchases. That offsets
the approximately 2% that the cost of goods is inflated to allow for the
credit card costs.

Thankfully, most stores no longer require that you sign the credit card
receipt for smaller amounts. That held up the lines.

Not all - but MANY credit card companies charge more for the "rewards"
cards. - so the seller just has to raise the price a bit more to cover
THAT.

notbob October 8th 10 10:08 PM

On 2010-10-08, SMS wrote:
On 10/8/2010 10:51 AM, notbob wrote:

basic CA style ATM (NOT debit!) cards.....

It's hard to figure why anyone would want to use a debit card as opposed
to a credit card.....

I don't like using either! Both can be used by ANYONE passing it to
an inattentive clerk (is there any other kind?). As you say, you can
sign Rin-Tin-Tin and it will pass. With a true bank ATM, only by
entering the correct PIN will it work. Unfortunately, the whole
concept is completely alien in CO.

nb

Stormin Mormon October 8th 10 10:15 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

Of course, you can spin a couple circles, or sign "notbob" and the
machine will take it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon October 8th 10 10:16 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

During one particular day I signed "walmart sucks" and the system took
it. Printed it on my reciept, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

aemeijers October 8th 10 11:08 PM

On 2010-10-08, wrote:
price (and the Arco doesn't take credit cards at all).

Only in CA. Cross the border into NV and Arco stations do, indeed,
take credit cards.

OTOH, some other states like CO, where I now live, have no concept of
basic CA style ATM (NOT debit!) cards which you can use almost
universally in CA. I tried to get an ATM card at a bank that also has
branches in CA. I was told by a handfull of new acct reps that no
such animal existed. I told them I'd been using an ATM card to buy
retail items at most retail stores and the head bitch told me she'd
been in the banking industry for 25 yrs and no such ATM card existed
in the US banking industry. I just got up and left. Apparently, the
only thing an ATM card is good for, here, is to withdraw cash from
YOUR acct at YOUR bank's ATM machine, period.

All states do not bank the same.

nb

Apparently MI is like CA, at least for credit union ATM cards. I can use
it as a POS debit card at most, but not all, places. (Including INside
at Sam's, but not OUTside at the gas pumps- weird.)

--
aem sends...

George October 8th 10 11:30 PM

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

Bleah. Wake up and smell the 90s. As a merchant, I say, bring on
credit cards. Cash is fine, for in-person sales, of which I get about
4 per year, but credit cards rule. Checks can bounce, and nearly
always do, but you can run the credit card charges before you mail the
stuff, so since you haven't let the merchandise go yet, you don't get
ripped off. Credit cards rule, even with the fees. I don't even start
the order (custom made stuff) until the credit card clears. You're
either unemployed or crazy.

You do realize other folks may not be sitting home and selling stuff on
ebay or whatever it is you do and have a completely different business
model than yours (especially gas stations that are under discussion)? I
have never heard of a gas station mailing fuel to anyone or doing custom
work.

George October 8th 10 11:33 PM

On 10/8/2010 3:57 PM, wrote:
[...]

That is why people need to pay for their own rewards instead of asking
everyone else to help them.

SMS October 9th 10 12:31 AM

On 10/8/2010 12:57 PM, wrote:

Not all - but MANY credit card companies charge more for the "rewards"
cards. - so the seller just has to raise the price a bit more to cover
THAT.

That's true. It's a cost of doing business. Just like the cost of bad
checks, the cost of an armored car to pick up cash, etc.

SMS October 9th 10 02:13 AM

On 10/8/2010 3:30 PM, George wrote:

You do realize other folks may not be sitting home and selling stuff on
ebay or whatever it is you do and have a completely different business
model than yours (especially gas stations that are under discussion)? I
have never heard of a gas station mailing fuel to anyone or doing custom
work.

Gas stations are a very special case because a gas station typically
sells fuel for a fixed number of cents over the wholesale price. A $3
gallon of gas at 1.6% in fees cost 4.8 cents, while a $1 gallon of gas
costs 1.6 cents in fees, but in both cases the mark-up over wholesale is
probably the same, 5-10 cents depending on the brand. Arco is very
strict about the mark-up it wants its stations to add. Even though they
can't directly dictate retail prices, they have ways of "encouraging"
their stations to toe the line. Refineries make 50-75 cents per gallon
on the gasoline they sell so their goal is to sell a lot of volume. The
gas station is lucky to get 10 cents per gallon. You have to sell a LOT
of gas to stay in business at 10 cents a gallon. Remember, BP/Arco (or
other oil companies) are not paying the spot price for crude oil, they
are pumping it from their own oil wells.

FatterDumber& Happier Moe October 9th 10 03:13 AM

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Of course, you can spin a couple circles, or sign "notbob" and the
machine will take it.

I write "ask for photo ID" on the signature space on the credit card.
One clerk told me it voids the card, but he ran it through anyway.
Most don't bother to even look at the signature once the card is worn a
bit. I try to use only one card, presently citi and get 2% back and use
it for everything I can and pay it off monthly. Used to be when 50
bucks were accumulated you could ask for the reward, now it's 150. They
always mailed a check instead of just crediting it to the card. I
suppose a lot of the rewards checks don't get cashed and that is why
they mail them instead of an instant credit to the balance on the card?
Sometimes they say they pay 5% on gasoline and restaurants but the way
the rewards are calculated and printed out it's hard to determine what
they pay on what. Most dollar only type stores take only cash or debit
cards. I wouldn't dream of having a debit card, someone can drain your
account if it were to get in the wrong hands, and my experience with
money is when somehow your money finds it's way to someone else's
pockets it's hard to get back.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] October 9th 10 04:28 AM

On 2010-10-08, wrote:

In Northern California, the Arco gasoline is Shell gasoline. Arco has no
refinery in Northern California and all their fuel comes from Shell.

I know not where in NorCal you are, but in SFBA, that is not the case.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, the Arco stations are supplied by the Shell
refinery. That's not to say that Arco could not specify different
additives than what Shell uses, but it's unlikely.

The additive package is the main difference between brands. Many take the
gas from the same storage tanks, just dump in different spices and
seasonings.

Smitty Two October 9th 10 06:36 AM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

In article ,
notbob wrote:

I refuse to allow my signature to be digitized.

I've signed charge slips "Santa Claus." If you're concerned about theft
of your signature, sign with your left hand or something. It doesn't
have to be your "real" signature to make the purchase.

Fake ID October 9th 10 06:49 AM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

In article ,
Josh wrote:
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:09:20 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Good. Maybe the merchants will get ****ed off enough to stop taking
plastic, and the rest of us won't have to wait in line behind people
charging a five-dollar breakfast. IMHO, for in-person sales, CC should
have at least a 20-buck minimum.

More often these days it's the other way around -- the most up to date
vendors don't require a signature for $20 or so. At my company
cafeteria, at the local Subway, Target, and other places, they take
the card, swipe it, and hand it back. 5 seconds tops.

If their link is up all the time. In quiet stores I've been able to
hear the modem dialing. Even then it doesn't really take that long, it
just seems like it because there's nothing to do but wait.

Now what takes time is the bozos who insist on paying with "exact
change", waiting until the whole thing is rung up before starting to
fish through their pockets/purses, carefully seeking out that last
nickel or penny needed.

Even more fun are the ones who overpay a little to get larger coins in
change.

Percival P. Cassidy October 9th 10 11:52 AM

On 10/09/10 01:36 am, Smitty Two wrote:

I refuse to allow my signature to be digitized.

I've signed charge slips "Santa Claus." If you're concerned about theft
of your signature, sign with your left hand or something. It doesn't
have to be your "real" signature to make the purchase.

Because of the slippery surface and the inconvenient angle at which the
devices are usually mounted, my signature on those things looks nothing
like my real signature anyway.

Peerce

h[_11_] October 9th 10 02:02 PM

On 2010-10-08, SMS wrote:

I found this out when I refused to sign my signature on a computer
digitzer and the clerk at the speedy mkt told me they didn't need my
sig for purchases under $25. Same for most drive thru food chains. I
also notice gas stations will usually allow you to buy $75-100 max
purchase with no sig required if you use the card at the pump.

I refuse to allow my signature to be digitized. Regardless
of what the clueless clerks try and tell you, the system will still
spit out a hard copy (paper) receipt you can sign. If they refuse,
cancel the purchase and walk away. If they want your purchase,
they'll find someone who knows how the system works. If not, screw
'em.

Wow. Just wow. Put your tinfoil hat back on and trundle on out of here. The
sane people are having a discussion. And get some help. Seriously.

h[_11_] October 9th 10 02:05 PM

"SMS" wrote in message
On 10/8/2010 12:57 PM, wrote:

Not all - but MANY credit card companies charge more for the "rewards"
cards. - so the seller just has to raise the price a bit more to cover
THAT.

That's true. It's a cost of doing business. Just like the cost of bad
checks, the cost of an armored car to pick up cash, etc.

So true. I stopped accepting checks years ago, and it's saved me at least
$40/month in bounce fees. $40 is less than half of my monthly credit card
fee, so it turns out that checks are the most expensive way to pay, at least
for this merchant.

h[_11_] October 9th 10 02:08 PM

On 2010-10-08, SMS wrote:
On 10/8/2010 10:51 AM, notbob wrote:

basic CA style ATM (NOT debit!) cards.....

It's hard to figure why anyone would want to use a debit card as opposed
to a credit card.....

I don't like using either! Both can be used by ANYONE passing it to
an inattentive clerk (is there any other kind?). As you say, you can
sign Rin-Tin-Tin and it will pass. With a true bank ATM, only by
entering the correct PIN will it work. Unfortunately, the whole
concept is completely alien in CO.

But with a credit card, you can contest the charge and get your money back
immediately. A chargeback will be filed against the merchant and they will
have to prove the charge was valid. Debit cards don't work like that. And
cash can be stolen, and that's not traceable. Checkbooks can be stolen, and
once the check is cashed, the bank won't give you back the money. Credit
cards are the only safe way to buy anything.

Kurt Ullman October 9th 10 02:46 PM

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 10/09/10 01:36 am, Smitty Two wrote:

I refuse to allow my signature to be digitized.

I've signed charge slips "Santa Claus." If you're concerned about theft
of your signature, sign with your left hand or something. It doesn't
have to be your "real" signature to make the purchase.

Because of the slippery surface and the inconvenient angle at which the
devices are usually mounted, my signature on those things looks nothing
like my real signature anyway.

Perce

Mine does, but that is more of an indictment of my handwriting in
general (g)

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

[email protected] October 9th 10 05:56 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:16:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

During one particular day I signed "walmart sucks" and the system took
it. Printed it on my reciept, too.

If the cashier isn't looking and you don't contest the charge, no one will
ever see your signature. If you do contest the charge the cashier may be in
deep do-do.

[email protected] October 9th 10 05:57 PM

On 2010-10-08, SMS wrote:

Thankfully, most stores no longer require that you sign the credit card
receipt for smaller amounts. That held up the lines.

I found this out when I refused to sign my signature on a computer
digitzer and the clerk at the speedy mkt told me they didn't need my
sig for purchases under $25. Same for most drive thru food chains. I
also notice gas stations will usually allow you to buy $75-100 max
purchase with no sig required if you use the card at the pump.

I refuse to allow my signature to be digitized. Regardless
of what the clueless clerks try and tell you, the system will still
spit out a hard copy (paper) receipt you can sign. If they refuse,
cancel the purchase and walk away. If they want your purchase,
they'll find someone who knows how the system works. If not, screw
'em.

If you're that paranoid, sign with your other hand. The signature isn't used
for anything unless you contest the charge.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] October 9th 10 07:09 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

wrote
If you're that paranoid, sign with your other hand. The signature isn't
used
for anything unless you contest the charge.

Rare, but I have seen cashiers check the card signature compared to the
signed receipt. I wonder what they would do if not a match?

[email protected] October 9th 10 07:15 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 14:09:11 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote
If you're that paranoid, sign with your other hand. The signature isn't
used
for anything unless you contest the charge.

Rare, but I have seen cashiers check the card signature compared to the
signed receipt. I wonder what they would do if not a match?

I've seen it happen, too. It was more common a few years ago, perhaps the
CCCs had a push on. If they don't match, I think the directions are to ask
for identification, just as if the card is unsigned.

aemeijers October 9th 10 08:16 PM

aemeijers October 9th 10 08:52 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

Ignore this- I fat-fingered something when I canceled my half-written post.

aem sends...

Steve Barker[_6_] October 10th 10 05:59 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

On 10/9/2010 1:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote
If you're that paranoid, sign with your other hand. The signature
isn't used
for anything unless you contest the charge.

Rare, but I have seen cashiers check the card signature compared to the
signed receipt. I wonder what they would do if not a match?

My card rides around in my back pocket by itself. so consequenty, the
sig is wiped off often. The best ones are when the cashier will say i
can't take that if it's not signed. THEN have me sign it, then they'll
take it. LMAO! And then there's the stores that don't even require a
sig under $50. And then there's the gas pumps.... you put in your
debit card, then it asks if you know your PIN. If you say "no", then it
takes it anyway. !!

--
Steve Barker

Red Green October 11th 10 07:56 PM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

Hilary wrote in
:

On Oct 7, 1:00*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:23:28 -0500, dpb wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. *He says
that if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the
dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. *I hope that is
what

he
is talking about. *I didn't find where a standard credit card cost

ny
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station
charges, not on the credit card side.

Wouldn't they have to change pumps to pump less fuel for credit
purchases? *The price per gallon is posted on the pumps.

It would either have to be that or charge you more than you pumped on
your credit card statement.

Umm, no. Doesn't work that way. If you pay at the pump ( can only do
that with cards ) you pay the "posted" price. Cash customers have to
schlep into the store to pay, have to pay first, and since they are
paying cash, the discount is taken directly at the pump, which is
controlled by the drone at the counter. Also, it violates all credit
card merchant agreements to charge more for credit transactions than
cash. However, you can give a cash discount without violating that
rule.

Also, it violates all credit
card merchant agreements to charge more for credit transactions than
cash.

That's what I always thought up until a few months ago.

On a road trip. Big sign on street was one price. On top of the pump was
the credit price. I paid with Discover and figured I'd put the f's to
them when I got back. Emailed Discover with the story.

Reply was as long as they don't charge more for use of Discover's CC than
other CC's it was allowed. Again, this is ONLY Discover's policy. It is
possible at the same station another card may have a different policy.
Depends on what the merchant agrees to for EACH card provider.

[email protected] October 12th 10 01:18 AM

OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

On 2010-10-08, wrote:

In Northern California, the Arco gasoline is Shell gasoline. Arco has no
refinery in Northern California and all their fuel comes from Shell.

I know not where in NorCal you are, but in SFBA, that is not the case.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, the Arco stations are supplied by the
Shell refinery. That's not to say that Arco could not specify different
additives than what Shell uses, but it's unlikely.

Actually EXTEEMELY likely.

[email protected] October 12th 10 01:20 AM

On 2010-10-08, SMS wrote:
On 10/8/2010 10:51 AM, notbob wrote:

basic CA style ATM (NOT debit!) cards.....

It's hard to figure why anyone would want to use a debit card as opposed
to a credit card.....

I don't like using either! Both can be used by ANYONE passing it to
an inattentive clerk (is there any other kind?). As you say, you can
sign Rin-Tin-Tin and it will pass. With a true bank ATM, only by
entering the correct PIN will it work. Unfortunately, the whole
concept is completely alien in CO.

nb

Up here in Canada the vast majority of credit cards are noe CHIP cards
and require a pin just like an ATM card.

Percival P. Cassidy October 12th 10 03:41 AM

On 10/11/10 08:20 pm, wrote:

basic CA style ATM (NOT debit!) cards.....

It's hard to figure why anyone would want to use a debit card as opposed
to a credit card.....

I don't like using either! Both can be used by ANYONE passing it to
an inattentive clerk (is there any other kind?). As you say, you can
sign Rin-Tin-Tin and it will pass. With a true bank ATM, only by
entering the correct PIN will it work. Unfortunately, the whole
concept is completely alien in CO.

Up here in Canada the vast majority of credit cards are noe CHIP cards
and require a pin just like an ATM card.

So perhaps that's why on a recent trip to Canada I still had to go into
the office to pay even though I had swiped my US card at the pump and it
had allowed me to pump my gas.

-- And it was concerning such situations as this that I referred in an
earlier message to the difficulty of canceling a purchase if an
electronic signature was required (which the previous poster had said he
refuses to do) and the gas had already been pumped.

Perce