Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE stops making its iconic bulb in the U.S.

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:28:00 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 10/3/2010 12:21 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 09:18:25 -0500, Jim wrote:

z wrote in
:

That's why we bought one. SWMBO has a number of titles for which
there is no DVD.

I believe there are places that transfer tapes to DVDs.
you get a better life out of a DVD,I believe,because tape suffers from
print-thru,each play degrades it a little bit,it accumulates over time.
since this is for personal use,you don't have any copyright violations.

I can't imagine a business that would admit to copyright violations.

there are even VCR/DVD recorder/players,that can do the transfer.

...of unprotected media.

For a library, converting to digital might make sense (and they have
ways to do it legally). For an individual, converting precious family
records might make sense. But for an individual, converting old movies
they may watch once a year when they are bored, makes no sense. If
somebody doesn't still have a working VCR in the stack, they are
available at thrift stores for five bucks. As I mentioned in a previous
post, tapes can be had at garage sales (and thrift stores) etc, quite
cheaply. Most libraries also have extensive VHS libraries, most of which
will never get updated to DVD because they are old releases. If you have
kids, old tapes and a VCR can be real cheap entertainment on rainy
weekends, snow days, etc.

We have a DVDR (hard disk recorder w/ DVD writer). It won't copy factory
written tapes. That was the reason we bought a VCR a couple of years ago. No
kids in the house (or grand-kids, yet). My wife has a small set of old movies
she likes to watch, though. Some of them were only released to tape once and
never to DVD.