Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water precipitate question

This summer, I noticed a white "snow globe" effect in my water. I'd
take soda pop bottles, fill them 1/3 and lay them in the freeezer. In
the morning, fill them with water, and take in the van while I was
working.

But, the next day I'd see white fleecks, floating in the water. After
the water warmed up. I called the water department, and they said they
didn't have any idea what caused it.

I tried using a different faucet, which doesn't seem to do the snow
globe effect.

Technical details. The water pipe from the ground is soft copper. Far
as I know, all the water pipe in my trailer home is copper. The sink
faucet that provides the snow effect was replaced maybe five years
ago. Kitchen sink faucet with sprayer. The old one, the sprayer
stopped working. The new one, the sink spout stopped working. The
sprayer works, so I've got the sprayer taped on full time.

Any ideas what's causing the snow globe effect?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2010 10:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Could be calcium or magnesium carbonate such as you see from hard water.
Copper compounds are colored.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The 3 replies so far are all ignoring a key line in the OP's text, "I tried
using a different faucet, which doesn't seem to do the snow globe effect." If
it were the water, it should be common to all taps. To my thinking, the only
difference between the tap the OP is using that is providing the precipitate and
the other taps is the hose connecting his sprayer to his kitchen fixture.
Perhaps the texture of the inside of the hose provides a much greater surface
area that facilitates crystallization of the hard water compounds in his water
and now some of that crud is being mechanically washed off the inside surface of
the hose into the water stream.

The OP should add a few tablespoons of household white vinegar to a pop bottle
with the precipitate. If it is a carbonate salt, the increased acidity from the
vinegar should dissolve at least some of the precipitate. However, part of the
OP's text is puzzling. He says that the precipitate becomes evident when the
water warms up. He should be observing the opposite. Calcium and magnesium
salts are more soluble in warm water and less soluble in colder water. The
precipitate should be most evident when the ice first melts, and less evident as
the water warms up and some or all of the precipitate dissolves.

This makes me wonder if perhaps the stuff is not a chemical precipitate, but
rather microbial crud. Another test would be to let a different pop bottle with
the precipitate (one that has not had vinegar added) sit for a few days at room
temperature. If the precipitate substantially increases in quantity, I'd
question whether or not he is looking at bacterial or mold colonies that are
multiplying. If so, once again, the seed crud is probably living on the inside
surface of the hose.

The solution to the problem might be to figure out if the crud is chemical or
microbial. Then disconnect the hose and give it a good soaking and cleaning (or
buy a replacement). If the crud is chemical, use undiluted vinegar. If it is
microbial, use some clorox, 1/2 cup to a gallon of water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Makes sense, to me. Incidentally, it's insensetive to call compounds
"colored". They are Cupro-Americans, now.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank"
wrote in message ...

Could be calcium or magnesium carbonate such as you see from hard
water.
Copper compounds are colored.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someday maybe I'll get a hardness test kit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
news On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 10:47:08 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

This summer, I noticed a white "snow globe" effect in my water. I'd
take soda pop bottles, fill them 1/3 and lay them in the freeezer. In
the morning, fill them with water, and take in the van while I was
working.

That is the classic hard water effect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter" wrote in message

The 3 replies so far are all ignoring a key line in the OP's text, "I
tried
using a different faucet, which doesn't seem to do the snow globe
effect." If
it were the water, it should be common to all taps. To my thinking,
the only
difference between the tap the OP is using that is providing the
precipitate and
the other taps is the hose connecting his sprayer to his kitchen
fixture.
Perhaps the texture of the inside of the hose provides a much greater
surface
area that facilitates crystallization of the hard water compounds in
his water
and now some of that crud is being mechanically washed off the inside
surface of
the hose into the water stream.

CY: The hose is only a couple years old -- as I wrote. The soft copper
in the floor is gosh knows how old.

The OP should add a few tablespoons of household white vinegar to a
pop bottle
with the precipitate. If it is a carbonate salt, the increased
acidity from the
vinegar should dissolve at least some of the precipitate.

CY: Good test for carbonates.

However, part of the
OP's text is puzzling. He says that the precipitate becomes evident
when the
water warms up. He should be observing the opposite. Calcium and
magnesium
salts are more soluble in warm water and less soluble in colder water.
The
precipitate should be most evident when the ice first melts, and less
evident as
the water warms up and some or all of the precipitate dissolves.

CY: The way the OP figures, the solids ppt out when frozen, and are
visible when the frozen ppt thaws, and becomes clear.

This makes me wonder if perhaps the stuff is not a chemical
precipitate, but
rather microbial crud. Another test would be to let a different pop
bottle with
the precipitate (one that has not had vinegar added) sit for a few
days at room
temperature. If the precipitate substantially increases in quantity,
I'd
question whether or not he is looking at bacterial or mold colonies
that are
multiplying. If so, once again, the seed crud is probably living on
the inside
surface of the hose.

CY: Worth checking. I'll have the OP check that question, and let you
know what he finds.

The solution to the problem might be to figure out if the crud is
chemical or
microbial. Then disconnect the hose and give it a good soaking and
cleaning (or
buy a replacement). If the crud is chemical, use undiluted vinegar.
If it is
microbial, use some clorox, 1/2 cup to a gallon of water.

CY: I've been wondering if I ought rig some way to pump some clorox or
vinegar or both into the cold water line. Not sure how I'd do that,
but something will come to mind. I mean, uh, if the OP should do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2010 9:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Oh No! Your water has dandruff. Add a little Head & Shoulders to the
water.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:i85vdn
:

Someday maybe I'll get a hardness test kit.

It's at the end of your arm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I put a bottle of water in the freezer yesterday. Today, it is
thawing. I'll check for the vinegar effect later today, and also will
pour some of the precipitate water into a clear glass. Leave it at
room temp, check for microbial effect.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Thanks. I put a bottle of water in the freezer yesterday. Today, it is
thawing. I'll check for the vinegar effect later today, and also will
pour some of the precipitate water into a clear glass. Leave it at
room temp, check for microbial effect.

Given the inexpensiveness of the average hose, why not just buy a
new one and try that first? Switch it out and see if it changes.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thawed out the half gal bottle, that had about a quart of water /
ice in it. There was less preciptate than I was used to seeing. And it
was more "stringy" instead of flakes. The 20 ounce soda bottles
earlier this year, it was more like flakes.

This time, it was as if someone had put fiberglas in a blender, and
cut it up really short. No change with vinegar added.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Peter"
wrote in message ...

The solution to the problem might be to figure out if the crud is
chemical or
microbial. Then disconnect the hose and give it a good soaking and
cleaning (or
buy a replacement). If the crud is chemical, use undiluted vinegar.
If it is
microbial, use some clorox, 1/2 cup to a gallon of water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Five or so years ago, I changed the faucet. In order to change the
faucet, I need to get under the trailer, and turn off the water. It's
seriously cold and wet here, so that's not going to happen till it
warms and dries. I don't remember what I paid for the faucet, but it
wasn't much. Might do that in the spring. At the moment, the diverter
doesn't work, and I've got the sprayer hose taped "open". Been using
it that way for some months. I'll report back, when I get the faucet
changed out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...

Given the inexpensiveness of the average hose, why not just buy a
new one and try that first? Switch it out and see if it changes.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2010 7:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I thawed out the half gal bottle, that had about a quart of water /
ice in it. There was less preciptate than I was used to seeing. And it
was more "stringy" instead of flakes. The 20 ounce soda bottles
earlier this year, it was more like flakes.

This time, it was as if someone had put fiberglas in a blender, and
cut it up really short. No change with vinegar added.

Let things sit in that bottle for a few days and see what happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, doing that. I'll let you know what happens.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Peter" wrote in message
On 10/5/2010 7:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I thawed out the half gal bottle, that had about a quart of water /
ice in it. There was less preciptate than I was used to seeing. And
it
was more "stringy" instead of flakes. The 20 ounce soda bottles
earlier this year, it was more like flakes.

This time, it was as if someone had put fiberglas in a blender, and
cut it up really short. No change with vinegar added.

Let things sit in that bottle for a few days and see what happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2010 8:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks. I put a bottle of water in the freezer yesterday. Today, it is
thawing. I'll check for the vinegar effect later today, and also will
pour some of the precipitate water into a clear glass. Leave it at
room temp, check for microbial effect.

If the gunk is decomposing liner from the supply hose, it should show
properties of plastic ... try filtering a couple of gallons through a
fine-weave dark fabric. Scrape up a little of the "snow" and see if it
burns or melts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good thought. I don't think I've got enough material to accurately
test. And the properties changed. Used to be flakes, and now it's
short fibers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
m...

If the gunk is decomposing liner from the supply hose, it should show
properties of plastic ... try filtering a couple of gallons through a
fine-weave dark fabric. Scrape up a little of the "snow" and see if
it
burns or melts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2010 10:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Good thought. I don't think I've got enough material to accurately
test. And the properties changed. Used to be flakes, and now it's
short fibers.

Look at them closely under a magnifying glass and try to determine if
the fibers have very straight edges or if they look more like threads,
with all sorts of curves and twists. If straight, they are more likely
to be chemical crystals (precipitate). If they are curly, they are more
likely to be mold or colonies of bacteria.