Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chop saw - use for cement blocks?

I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h.

I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw would work if I were to put a diamond
blade in it.

RPM and torque may be a probem. The one I'm looking at (Porter Cable)
is 15A with an RPM of 3800.

Will it work?

Thanks for any comments, Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

G Mulcaster wrote:
I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h.

I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw would work if I were to put a diamond
blade in it.

RPM and torque may be a probem. The one I'm looking at (Porter Cable)
is 15A with an RPM of 3800.

Will it work?

Thanks for any comments, Gary

not without ruining it from the dust. try a tile wet saw

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 12:24*pm, "chaniarts" wrote:
G Mulcaster wrote:
I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h.

I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw *would work if I were to put a diamond
blade in it.

RPM and torque may be a probem. *The one I'm looking at (Porter Cable)
is 15A with an RPM of 3800.

Will it work?

Thanks for any comments, Gary

not without ruining it from the dust. try a tile wet saw

A very good application for a HarborFreight tool. I wouldn't hesitate
to use my 10" HF SCMS (it was fine for what I bought it for) or an old
circular saw. If he dust gets to it, no great loss.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 1:19*pm, G Mulcaster wrote:
I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h.

I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw *would work if I were to put a diamond
blade in it.

RPM and torque may be a probem. *The one I'm looking at (Porter Cable)
is 15A with an RPM of 3800. *

Will it work?

Thanks for any comments, Gary

I'm not sure if this will matter since I don't really know about Allan
Blocks, but here's what happened to me after I cut some patio blocks:

They disintegrated after a few years.

I have a parking spot off to the side my driveway where I park so that
I don't block SWMBO's car. There used to be dirt next to the spot, so
I paved it with grey 8 x 16 patio blocks so I wouldn't be stepping in
mud all the time.

In order to follow the curve of the street and the driveway asphalt, I
had to cut a number of blocks at an angle. I used an old circular saw
and diamond blade.

After a few years, the cut blocks began to fall apart, from the cut
edge in, turning into little pea sized bits of concrete. At first I
thought it might be salt, but it only happened to the cut block, not
to any of the full pieces. In one case, where there was a fairly small
piece (1/4 of a block) the piece has been gone for years, but the full
sized block that was next to it looks as good as new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
G Mulcaster wrote:
I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h.

I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw would work if I were to put a diamond
blade in it.

RPM and torque may be a probem. The one I'm looking at (Porter Cable)
is 15A with an RPM of 3800.

Will it work?

Thanks for any comments, Gary

Diamond blade me be overkill & expensive depending on how many blocks
you expect to cut.

http://www.google.com/products?q=mas...chop+saw&hl=en

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 3:33*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That's an odd one. I've cut, and seen old cuts, that have experienced
no deterioration like what you describe, even after years of
exposure. You must have gotten a bad batch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:00*am, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

It may have been a bad batch, but like I said, none of the uncut ones
show any sign of deterioration.

They don't seal those things do they? I was thinking that maybe I
exposed the innards and allowed the bad stuff in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me know how you get a big block in a chop saw. On the flat caps, yes,
you could do it in two cuts, but it would be iffy to get them straight.

Go get a used 10" wet saw with a big tray and a lot of travel. I bought one
about a year ago, and I have been using the heck out of it, now doing work
that I would have never considered before. One is now to do a 400sf
(approx) area in 4 x 8 pavers, 2" thick, having to cut some to make the
pattern, and some just to fit in odd areas. It's a dream to just put it on
there, saw, and it's done. No dust.

A 10" saw is a tool that is used infrequently, but when you do pull it out,
it does it right the first time. I think you could get a used saw for what
any chop saw would cost you, and the chop saw makes dust, which causes
silicosos, a very dangerous human ailment.

Mine cost me $60 at a yard sale. It retails for about $600. It's not new
and pristine, but it works, and I think it's worth what I paid for it.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

G Mulcaster wrote:
I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h.
I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw would work if I were to put a diamond
blade in it.
RPM and torque may be a probem. The one I'm looking at (Porter Cable)
is 15A with an RPM of 3800.
Will it work?
Thanks for any comments, Gary

not without ruining it from the dust. try a tile wet saw

A very good application for a HarborFreight tool. I wouldn't hesitate
to use my 10" HF SCMS (it was fine for what I bought it for) or an old
circular saw. If he dust gets to it, no great loss.

{harbor freight}

I just became a harbor-freight dude.
--
Uno

Posted to alt.home.repair

G Mulcaster wrote:
I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h.
I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw would work if I were to put a diamond
blade in it.
RPM and torque may be a probem. The one I'm looking at (Porter Cable)
is 15A with an RPM of 3800.
Will it work?
Thanks for any comments, Gary
not without ruining it from the dust. try a tile wet saw

A very good application for a HarborFreight tool. I wouldn't hesitate
to use my 10" HF SCMS (it was fine for what I bought it for) or an old
circular saw. If he dust gets to it, no great loss.

{harbor freight}

I just became a harbor-freight dude.

check out their 10" wet saw-
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hors...saw-95385.html
for $250 it aint bad- and when you're done you should be able to get
$150 for it easy- though you might decide to keep it once you use one
for a day.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
-snip-

check out their 10" wet saw-
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hors...saw-95385.html
for $250 it aint bad- and when you're done you should be able to get
$150 for it easy- though you might decide to keep it once you use one
for a day.

I meant to add-- Once you've cut on a wet saw after experiencing the
toxic, go-everywhere dust storm of dry cutting, it is hard to go back.
You'll start looking for blocks to cut in half.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:05*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Let me know how you get a big block in a chop saw. *On the flat caps, yes,
you could do it in two cuts, but it would be iffy to get them straight.

Um... From the OP:

"I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to
trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h."

Not all cement blocks are 12" blocks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 7:28*pm, G Mulcaster wrote:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:52:02 +0000 (UTC),

(Larry W) wrote:
In article ,
G Mulcaster wrote:
I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h.

I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw *would work if I were to put a diamond
blade in it.

RPM and torque may be a probem. *The one I'm looking at (Porter Cable)
is 15A with an RPM of 3800. *

Will it work?

Thanks for any comments, Gary

Diamond blade me be overkill & expensive depending on how many blocks
you expect to cut.

http://www.google.com/products?q=mas...chop+saw&hl=en

Thanks for the URL. *Will be cutting about 100 blocks (the top caps -
both sides) on this project. *Two other projects are in the future.

I could rent a saw; however, may as well use this as an excuse to buy
another toy

Now *that's* the right attitude.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:19:01 -0700, G Mulcaster
wrote:

I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a
large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h.

I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw would work if I were to put a diamond
blade in it.

RPM and torque may be a probem. The one I'm looking at (Porter Cable)
is 15A with an RPM of 3800.

Will it work?

Thanks for any comments, Gary

A follow up:

I called both Porter Cable and Makita. The Porter Cable tech said
that the PC chop saw could not be used with a diamond blade. No
reason given.

The Makita tech rep said there would be no problem using a diamond
blade. The Makita chop saws are sealed units; that is, there is no
danger of cement dust getting into the bearings. He said to ensure I
blew out the unit with an air hose after use. (To get dust out of the
armature?)

So, I purchased a Makita 2414NB on sale

Thanks for all your responses.
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

On that basis I'd buy the Porter Cable. The bearings may be
sealed-- but the motor & brushes aren't. When the motor sucks dust
filled air through it you will be coating the armature with dust that
will only come off if you completely dis-assemble the saw.

You will be cutting the saw's life in half at best. [which is fine if
it will just sit on a shelf for most of the next 20 years-- but I'd
rather get the right tool for this job- and sell it later. [the right
tool in this case if a wet saw of any description-- not just for the
saw's life-- but for the 1/2 acre or so that get's covered with dust
after a few dry cuts]

OTOH- did you record the tech's conversation? I'd put a copy of
that with the warranty and cite it when the saw fails prematurely.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was told the PC was not suitable by the PC tech rep. The Makita
tech rep said the Makita chop saw was suitable - just blow the dust
out after use...

Also, the hardware store advised me against PC because in the
PC/Delta/DeWalt franchise, the PC's quality is now the low end of the
three, unlike the past where PC was top notch.

One thing voting for the PC was price - $110, the Makita was $150.

I have to admit that I'm a Makita freak. I started buying Makita
tools in 1980 and have never been dissapointed.

Cheers, Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I guess I wasn't clear. The PC guy told the truth. The Makita guy
was wrong- either through ignorance or because of greed. The dust
you will create will be unbelievable. My job was 150' from a road,
but cutting one 4x8x12 in half stopped traffic if the wind was wrong.

There is not just a lot of it- it is sticky and abrasive. It will
ruin your saw.

Buy/rent/steal a wet saw.

-snip-

I have to admit that I'm a Makita freak. I started buying Makita
tools in 1980 and have never been dissapointed.

So buy the Makita chop-saw- and saw wood with it. Don't ruin it
with masonry dust.

Jim