Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C ODU power during winter

Hi,
Our winter is very cold.
Should I leave the power to the unit on or turn it off?
TIA,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2010 7:45 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Our winter is very cold.
Should I leave the power to the unit on or turn it off?
TIA,

if it's not a heat pump it won't matter. But why would you turn it off
anyway?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

On 9/28/2010 7:45 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Our winter is very cold.
Should I leave the power to the unit on or turn it off?
TIA,

if it's not a heat pump it won't matter. But why would you turn it off
anyway?

Presumably the idea is to save the few cents of power used by the
compressor's crankcase heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 8:45*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Our winter is very cold.
Should I leave the power to the unit on or turn it off?
TIA,

If it is just an ac then it very well may not matter. Most typical
outside ac units do not use any power if the contactor is not engaged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Turning it off would save a small ammount of energy for the crankcase
heater (typically 54 watts). If you turn it off, please turn the power
back on at least a full day before you use the AC, two days is better.
Othewise, compressor damage can occur.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Our winter is very cold.
Should I leave the power to the unit on or turn it off?
TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

A non living compressor can collect refrigerant in with the oil.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:45:38 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Our winter is very cold.
Should I leave the power to the unit on or turn it off? TIA,

Why would the ODU care? It's not a living entity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2010 8:43 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Turning it off would save a small ammount of energy for the crankcase
heater (typically 54 watts). If you turn it off, please turn the power
back on at least a full day before you use the AC, two days is better.
Othewise, compressor damage can occur.

i'm sure the installers don't wait two days to fire up a new install.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Makes sense, to me. Might be an issue only in cold weather.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Winter Sea ViaggiAmo Home Repair 1 October 30th 07 01:55 PM
Winter Sea ViaggiAmo Metalworking 0 October 30th 07 01:40 PM
Winter Sea ViaggiAmo Woodworking 0 October 30th 07 01:40 PM
Winter Sea ViaggiAmo Electronics Repair 0 October 30th 07 01:40 PM
Winter bills The other Mike Home Ownership 12 November 21st 04 02:17 PM